Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Yes we can wait. Public preview is a good decision and its taking the game in the right direction.
Mainly because of how all respond to it, which makes it a lot better to gather info.. If we just continue in the way we have been then its all great travel for everyone..

niksopikso

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Ridiculous amount of extras. Specially byes on the leg side. 45 extra runs in just 47 overs of test. Really spoiling it.

W.G. Grace

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
I'm having so much fun with this game since the most recent patch. Getting a wide variety of wickets and nearly all seem plausible (no AI randomly deciding to give my fielders a bit of catching practice after racking up a century or two!). It's also such a relief to know that a dismissal will now actually be acknowledged by the game every single time too.

One thing I've noticed is that pre-patch, I only ever seemed to be able to hit the stumps when bowling cutters, but since the patch, I frequently hit the stumps with in-swinging (primarily yorkers, but a few full) and standard deliveries and cutters have become ineffective. Also, I don't know if this is just me but I find spin bowling bloody useless. I give away way too many runs and rarely ever get a wicket for my troubles — if I ever do, its a slight nick, but they're extremely rare. I'm yet to achieve a singled bowled wicket using a spinner. On the other hand, I really struggle to face AI spinners, and I find I can never replicate the same level of spin that the AI throws at me. I've played the Ashes series a couple of times, as England, and Nathan Lyon dominates every time. I always know I'm going to lose a few wickets when they bring him into the attack. So, is it just me or does anyone else feel the AI have an unfair advantage over spinners?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I'm having so much fun with this game since the most recent patch. Getting a wide variety of wickets and nearly all seem plausible (no AI randomly deciding to give my fielders a bit of catching practice after racking up a century or two!). It's also such a relief to know that a dismissal will now actually be acknowledged by the game every single time too.

One thing I've noticed is that pre-patch, I only ever seemed to be able to hit the stumps when bowling cutters, but since the patch, I frequently hit the stumps with in-swinging (primarily yorkers, but a few full) and standard deliveries and cutters have become ineffective. Also, I don't know if this is just me but I find spin bowling bloody useless. I give away way too many runs and rarely ever get a wicket for my troubles — if I ever do, its a slight nick, but they're extremely rare. I'm yet to achieve a singled bowled wicket using a spinner. On the other hand, I really struggle to face AI spinners, and I find I can never replicate the same level of spin that the AI throws at me. I've played the Ashes series a couple of times, as England, and Nathan Lyon dominates every time. I always know I'm going to lose a few wickets when they bring him into the attack. So, is it just me or does anyone else feel the AI have an unfair advantage over spinners?
I find spinners are a little out of whack. I struggle against them A LOT. In part because there's no real pattern based on reality - you never know which was the bowl is going to go, which is fine for a Sunil Narine but maybe not for Joe Root. (Don't know if this has been altered at on the most recent preview patches).

Bowling with spinners I find varying line, length and type of delivery (flight, bounce etc) helps. Whether it's a pace bowler or spinner I try to find the 'good length' on the pitch which varies to the hardness etc.

I never feel like the same impact a wrong-un has on you when batting is seen in the AI. You slip one in, thinking this will get them but it appears like they read them as if you're just bowling a normal delivery. I know it must be tough to accurately reflect this and it isn't always the case, perhaps a bit more caution against spinners at time would be welcome or even a bit more playing and missing. It can be disheartening when a you bowl a googly at a tailender and he just nonchalantly turns it away to the leg side. It also feels very difficult to pin down the batsman and keep it tight compared with a seamer. I'd imagine it's an extremely tough balancing act though, to stop them becoming overpowered.

passwordistaco

Panel of Selectors
Picked up my first caught and bowled in Ashes Cricket, Kohli taking the wicket surprisingly which happened to be a clickbaiters dream. Enjoy (or not, idc).

Harshs1993

Club Cricketer
  1. Yesterday at 9:52 PM
    Harshs1993School Cricketer
    Hi
    Ashes cricket is the best cricket game available right now in the gaming market. Big ant has set new benchmark and continues to improve every month through updates. we all know how difficult it is to develop a cricket game from scratch as there are so many things involved in cricket
    Just wanted to know when will big ant release the next cricket game? Really hoping that it comes before 2019 World Cup
    Thank you
    Harsh

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Yesterday at 9:52 PM
    Harshs1993School Cricketer
    Hi
    Ashes cricket is the best cricket game available right now in the gaming market. Big ant has set new benchmark and continues to improve every month through updates. we all know how difficult it is to develop a cricket game from scratch as there are so many things involved in cricket
    Just wanted to know when will big ant release the next cricket game? Really hoping that it comes before 2019 World Cup
    Thank you
    Harsh

Dean Johnes International Superstar Cricket will be out soon.

sonimrajk

International Cricketer
I've had a fairly decent chance to bat 77 overs, I'm 302/5. Few thoughts below. Sorry if I'm covering old ground that others have spoken about. I don't know if this is possible but if there was a sticky thread with known issues it could be helpful to those of us not on the beta team but with access to the preview updates.

Field settings. There's nothing noticeably bad about the field selection but the fields themselves, at least in terms of how effective they are in conjunction with the AI bowling. Pace bowlers were often using the one below (Pace Balanced 7, I think) with a gap in the field from 2nd slip to Cover Point. There are two men in the deep on the legside so I'm guessing it'd be useful for short stuff into the ribs. But the AI invariably offers up gimmes on the offside that can be put into the gap. Often with spinners there are easy singles that can be worked around. If the AI bowling can't attack a specific field then ones with huge gaps should really be rare of off limits. I very very rarely felt under any pressure.

ZPSpGl0.png

AI bowling. I have all bowlers set to Balanced mentality because it seems to at least offer consistency with variety but not repetitiveness like the others. One thing I came away from this batting was that it might be interesting to try bowlers starting with higher confidence - maybe orange/green. I don't actually know what noticeable difference higher confidence has for bowlers but surely it couldn't be a bad thing to try? Whether it's me or the AI it might at least provide more of a challenge early on, especially with the new ball. Currently, by the time the bowler is settled/confident any advantage from a new ball seems to have dissipated.

Batting itself. In tests, timing feels irrelevant. You might not get the boundaries but you'll get plenty of 2's and 3's. I tried one lofted shot and got out so I immediately stopped with that. I can see it still being a chore in limited overs. I have batsmen strength set to 60-70 to stifle some of the AI slogging but I've not had chance to play an ODI. I did try, some time into the innings, nudging the batsman forward (back foot on the popping crease). With the ball coming on quicker it feels more natural so this is definitely something I'll try in limited overs.

a3Ce5nR.png
@wasteyouryouth
I was playing with similar kind of modifiers but bit more than yours. I feel that there is a difference in the ball speed with batting modifiers and without modifiers. I have set my pace modifier at 68 but i see a difference in the AI bowling speed. With batting modifiers on, ball is coming more faster than without modifiers. There shouldnt be any difference as pace modifier is a gameplay modifier and not batting modifier. Do you also see this difference?
Also Batting without modifiers seems to be easy on hard mode. But with modifiers it looks like batting timing is somewhat broken. To confirm this, I wanted to test with batting modifiers set at default values of hard but i am not sure what values are used for default hard difficulity. Its defenitely not 75 75 75 as shown. Do you have any idea on the values which game uses for default hard.
My main intention is to test batting with same values with modifiers on and see if both work in the same way.

Note: i m on console version and not with latest public preview patch.

Last edited:

cricfreak12

County Cricketer
Picked up my first caught and bowled in Ashes Cricket, Kohli taking the wicket surprisingly which happened to be a clickbaiters dream. Enjoy (or not, idc).

hey man just wondering if this is a star player career mode or just a custom tournament. Also does the mini game catching thingy work for you in all game modes? i for the life of me cannot get it to work in career (the only mode i play). Any help regarding this from any of yous in the forum will be appreciated.

Thanks.

passwordistaco

Panel of Selectors
hey man just wondering if this is a star player career mode or just a custom tournament. Also does the mini game catching thingy work for you in all game modes? i for the life of me cannot get it to work in career (the only mode i play). Any help regarding this from any of yous in the forum will be appreciated.

Thanks.
This was a competition and the first time I've ever seen it happen. Yet to see it happen in career mode.

cricfreak12

County Cricketer
This was a competition and the first time I've ever seen it happen. Yet to see it happen in career mode.

yeah hard i have had so many opportunities of a caught and bowled come my way but the game never shows the mini game thing and the ball just flies right past my player. no gripes as the game has nice and varied dismissals so i dont feel like i was robbed off a wicket but it would be good to have the mini game work in some instances where there is a chance of a wicket.

Users who are viewing this thread