Asia Cup 2014

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Fixtures

The Indian squad :
Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ambati Rayudu, Ajinkya Rahane, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Varun Aaron, Stuart Binny, Amit Mishra, Ishwar Pandey, Dinesh Karthik

http://www.espncricinfo.com/asia-cup-2014/content/current/story/720907.html

Both Ishant and Raina have had a poor run in the ODI's since last year. With the exclusion of Raina, chances of Pujara getting a spot in the XI have now increased, but IMO he won't be as effective in the sub-continent as he could have been outside, but the poor guy was dropped in favour of Rayudu and Raina.

Pakistan squad for Asia Cup:
Misbah-ul-Haq (capt), Mohammad Hafeez, Ahmed Shehzad, Sharjeel Khan, Shahid Afridi, Umar Akmal, Sohaib Maqsood, Fawad Alam, Saeed Ajmal, Abdur Rehman, Junaid Khan, Umar Gul, Anwar Ali, Bilawal Bhatti, Mohammad Talha

Sri Lanka's Asia Cup squad:
Angelo Mathews (capt), Dinesh Chandimal (vice- capt), Lasith Malinga, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Kusal Perera, Kumar Sangakkara (wk), Mahela Jayawardena, Lahiru Thirimanne, Thisara Perera, Nuwan Kulasekara, Suranga Lakmal, Chaturanga De Silva, Sachithra Senanayake, Ajantha Mendis, Ashan Priyanjan

Afghanistan squad for Asia Cup:
Mohammad Shahzad, Noor Ali Zadran, Karim Sadiq, Nowroz Mangal, Asghar Stanikzai, Mohammad Nabi, Samiullah Shenwari, Rahmat Shah, Mirwais Ashraf, Fazal Niazai, Hamza Hotak, Hamid Hassan, Shapoor Zadran, Dawlat Zadran, Najeeb Zadran

I'll personally be looking forward to Afghanistan's performances. They haven't been bad in the UAE while playing the top teams, and this tournament will give a good exposure to the men from a country dominated by instability and conflict. Not expecting an upset or two, but they might just well give the opposition a run for their money.

Last time around, Bangladesh came an inch close to winning their first ever title. Will always give them a chance at their home ground. That series also saw SRT play his ODI last innings, and not forget his 100th 100.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
To give Pujara a headstart is something good that the selectors have done. I would pick Pujara in the XI ahead of Rahane, who failed in the ODI's in New Zealand. Its good that they dropped Raina and Ishant in ODI's. This should have been done long back.

Rohit
Dhawan
Kohli
Pujara
Rayudu
Dhoni
Jadeja
Ashwin
Bhuvi
Shami
Aaron/Pandey

Rohit and Pujara could possibly swap places, since Rohit has failed overseas in the opening slot in recent times. Pujara can open in ODI's since he is a natural No.3 and also a technically sound guy to handle opening.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
It is almost unbelievable - Ishant has finally been dropped. Also, Pujara is finally in the squad. He couldn't be kept out for too long

playkid12

Club Captain
Finally, the ODI team looks decent. It's amazing what including 1 guy and dropping another can do! I just wish Ojha was at least included in the 15-man squad. Something about a left arm spinner is very appealing, and Ojha is an awesome bowler. I'd love to see him bowl with Jadeja rather than Ashwin. But I guess they've retained Ashwin since the tournament is in the subcontinent (plus his batting skills).

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Fixtures

Only the Indian squad has been announced till now :

Both Ishant and Raina have had a poor run in the ODI's since last year. With the exclusion of Raina, chances of Pujara getting a spot in the XI have now increased, but IMO he won't be as effective in the sub-continent as he could have been outside, but the poor guy was dropped in favour of Rayudu and Raina.

I dont understand why Pujara wont be effective in the subcontinent as he could have been outside? Its easier to bat in the subcontinent than it is to bat outside of it. Of course the value of doing well outside the subcontinent is greater, but the focus is on doing well anywhere you play. Pujara has all the ability to do well in the subcontinent. And he should score quickly. Only thing is, he should bat at the top of the order. He is not a big hitter, he is someone who scores his runs quickly by other means.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
^^ Agreed. I remember Pujara scoring 2 big centuries and a half century in the Challenger trophy - either last year or the year before. He was the captain and the strike rate was excellent too. I think he will do more than just fine on subcontinent wickets

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Feel like Pujara will play more of a floater role for India, similar to how Badri does for CSK. I don't necessarily think this is a good thing.

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
Nice ODI squad. Finally Ishant has been dropped and Raina who wasn't performing well is replaced by Pujara. Yeah! Well actually I Rishi Dhawan's selection over Binny could be the good one. Well let's hope we'll do better in this time. Also, I'm excited to see Afghanistan playing at this. Good luck to them.:)

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Feel like Pujara will play more of a floater role for India, similar to how Badri does for CSK. I don't necessarily think this is a good thing.

Even if that's the case, there is nothing to worry. If Pujara really proves himself to be that 'floater' that Dhoni can use, then India will find his service very valuable. Badri did that very successfully for CSK. If Pujara can be that for India, great!

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Pakistan squad for Asia Cup:
Misbah-ul-Haq (capt), Mohammad Hafeez, Ahmed Shehzad, Sharjeel Khan, Shahid Afridi, Umar Akmal, Sohaib Maqsood, Fawad Alam, Saeed Ajmal, Abdur Rehman, Junaid Khan, Umar Gul, Anwar Ali, Bilawal Bhatti, Mohammad Talha

Fawad Alam has been recalled after 4 years, not sure why it has taken so long!
Pakistan is surely a contender if their batting clicks, their bowlers are good enough to restrict any team to an under par score.

Sri Lanka's Asia Cup squad:
Angelo Mathews (capt), Dinesh Chandimal (vice- capt), Lasith Malinga, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Kusal Perera, Kumar Sangakkara (wk), Mahela Jayawardena, Lahiru Thirimanne, Thisara Perera, Nuwan Kulasekara, Suranga Lakmal, Chaturanga De Silva, Sachithra Senanayake, Ajantha Mendis, Ashan Priyanjan

Addy

National Board President
Good Squad for Pakistan. I m backing Sharjeel and Maqsood to come good against Asian trundlers. Not to forget that M.Hafeez turns Bradmanisque in Asia, against not so good bowling attacks ;)

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
4P96BUY.jpg

Addy

National Board President
LOL ^ Watchout for Sharjeel Khan. He is Sehwag/Dhawan type of player, is in good touch either.

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Afghanistan squad for Asia Cup:
Mohammad Shahzad, Noor Ali Zadran, Karim Sadiq, Nowroz Mangal, Asghar Stanikzai, Mohammad Nabi, Samiullah Shenwari, Rahmat Shah, Mirwais Ashraf, Fazal Niazai, Hamza Hotak, Hamid Hassan, Shapoor Zadran, Dawlat Zadran, Najeeb Zadran

One team we all would like to see performing, and I wouldn't personally be surprised if they perform better than what is even expected from them! An Asia Cup and then the World T20, couldn't ask for more before the 50 over World Cup.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
We're handicapped here by the non-selection of Suresh Raina, whose problems can't really be exploited on subcontinental tracks. Raina's an electric fielder and a useful third spinner whose overs I'm sure would have come handy. I don't deny that he has obvious problems that he's shown little ability to fix, but these conditions will nullify most of those. He's a very very handy energy guy to have in the team. I know he hasn't scored fifties in a while, but useful thirties, 10 runs saved in the field, and 3-4 decent overs isn't a bad combination.

Anyway, within the squad selected, this would be my starting XI:
1 Shikadawann 2 Rohit 3 Pujara 4 Kohli 5 Rahane 6 Dhoni 7 Jadeja 8 Ashwin 9 Bhuvneshwar 10 Shami 11 Pandey

If Rohit fails, replace him with Rayudu and move Rahane to open.
If Ashwin fails, replace him with Mishra.
If (when) one of the pace bowlers fails, replace him with Aaron. (Then go in a corner, curl up in a fetal position and weep silently)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread