AMA Ask Asad! New Questions Appreciated! (Tag me when you ask)

A.P Haux

The Meowest Avenger
AUS..
BNG..
Kings XI
RCB...
Melbourne Stars
Avengers
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
What do you think drives you to spend time and emotionally invest themselves on a team (or a player) in cricket or any other sports? Since the emotion is a double edged sword, bringing both agony and ecstasy sometimes. It is also evident that this devotion has the potential to become unhealthy, to the point it is just toxic and there is just no fun. Since you are an emotionally charged person when it comes to Pakistan cricket as far as I can see, I thought I would like to hear your opinion.

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
When did you become interested in Urdu music and poetry?
Urdu Music's story is a very, very intriguing one. It's a very elongated story too, so, I'll try to summarize it. So, until I was around 5 years old kid, I was a mad fan of Rahat Fateh Ali Khan just because my elder sister and brother kept spoonfeeding me his romantic tracks like "Tere mast mast do nain". I was addicted, despite having no understanding of the meaning and even the lyrics lol. And traditional Punjabi music has always been around my house, in the shape of Ataullah Khan Esakhelvi. In fact, his "Kameez Teri Kaali" was 4-year-old me's favorite track lol. I've always been a weird kid with bizarre tastes. Anyways, I quickly lost interest in music due to some personal reasons that I won't talk about here (no not cuz my crush died or something lol). And eventually, I only regained that interest when I was around 11, and ever since, I have been addicted to music. All kinds of music, should I say. From Rap to Qawwalian and Ghazalein, I'm into all.

Urdu Poetry's in the blood, in short. My father has great knowledge of poetry and it's always been there around me. I can recall knowing 2-3 pieces of Allama Iqbal's poetry by heart when I wasn't even 6 maybe. I didn't know the meaning, but my father used to quote those often and I picked them up as an attentive kid. One of them was "Ae tair-e-lahooti uss rizq se maut achi, jis rizq se aati ho parwaaz mein kotaahi", translating roughly to "O angel, it's better to die than live consuming a diet that hampers an (Eagle's) flight". In a nutshell, this means that it is better to die than flourish on the consumption of something that brings disgrace to you, and hampers your flight towards attaining a higher standing in divine terms. So, it's always been inculcated into my mind. And ever since the lockdown hit, my interest in poetry boomed as my solitude really found a refuge in the words of poets.

Last edited:

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
What do you think drives you to spend time and emotionally invest themselves on a team (or a player) in cricket or any other sports? Since the emotion is a double edged sword, bringing both agony and ecstasy sometimes. It is also evident that this devotion has the potential to become unhealthy, to the point it is just toxic and there is just no fun. Since you are an emotionally charged person when it comes to Pakistan cricket as far as I can see, I thought I would like to hear your opinion.
Ah, that's a very interesting question and I hope my answer doesn't let your question down lol.

In my non-expert opinion, I believe people crave some sort of divergence from real life, and that's how they end up following actors, musicians, sportsmen, sports teams etc. Sports for many of us are an escape from the happenings of the world outside.

Let me ask you a question; Why do people travel/want to travel away from their homeland/hometown? Well, one of the reasons for that is that they want a change. They are tired of the monotony that life throws their way consistently, and they want a change. I believe that hunger for change drives that devotion and emotional attachment. Somehow, the way people in third-world countries are desperate for lesser-corrupt politicians, and whenever anyone will remotely fit the criteria, they will be emotionally invested in those politicians their entire life. And yet, as you mentioned, following a sport is not a bed of roses at all, or as Shahid Afridi once said "Cricket makes you laugh less and cry more". That might be a very pessimistic statement, but it has a great deal of truth to it too. It can become very unhealthy and toxic, but that's inherently linked to life and its ups & downs too. From a realistic POV, nothing in life is ever going to be a bed of roses. Not even the bed of roses itself lol, because they will lose their fragrance and rot in a couple of days' time. I wanna dive into more detail, but it'll get too tedious for you all. So, I'll just conclude.

In conclusion, I don't think that the fear of this devotion turning toxic really stops many, just like how the need to feel loved will drive masses into normalizing toxicity. To me, the need to find a hobby/timepass/source of happiness, etc., or intrinsically a need for change drives me in investing time and emotions into this sport. I hope this was a good answer lol.

Last edited:

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Good to see someone else like me who is so keen on talking about personal experiences and memories! Would love to have a chat with you some day. :)
I'm glad you found me to be relatable, bro <3

Feel free to message me whenever you feel like it. I'm always a message away :)

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I'm glad you found me to be relatable, bro <3

Feel free to message me whenever you feel like it. I'm always a message away :)
Are you not worried about someone wanting to engage a conversation about your personal experiences, someone you dont know in real life?

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Are you not worried about someone wanting to engage a conversation about your personal experiences, someone you dont know in real life?
Appreciate your concern, but nopes, as long as he doesn't start asking about my address or family lol. Sharing general personal experiences is okay, in my opinion, but of course, with boundaries. Plus, everyone has their own perspective. And, I don't know Nilay personally obviously, but he does seem like a good guy!

Last edited:

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Nopes, as long as he doesn't start asking about my address or family lol. Sharing general personal experiences is okay, imo, but of course, everyone has their own persepective. And, I don't know Nilay personally obviously, but he does seem like a good guy!
Youre from Pakistan? Were you affected by the recent floods?

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Youre from Pakistan? Were you affected by the recent floods?
Yes, I'm from Pakistan. And nopes, I live quite a few hundred kilometers far away from where the floods hit. The city that my dad works in currently, though was badly hit and floods wreaked havoc there. He was thankfully fine, but thousands there lost their livelihoods, homes, and families in front of his eyes. It was quite a catastrophe and if anything, the media has not reported it properly. The extent of damages on the ground is far greater.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Yes, I'm from Pakistan. And nopes, I live quite a few hundred kilometers far away from where the floods hit. The city that my dad works in currently, though was badly hit and floods wreaked havoc there. He was thankfully fine, but thousands there lost their livelihoods, homes, and families in front of his eyes. It was quite a catastrophe and if anything, the media has not reported it properly. The extent of damages on the ground is far greater.
Breaks my heart even more knowing it was worse than what I saw on the news! I’m glad youre fine and your dad, good he is okay.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Urdu Music's story is a very, very intriguing one. It's a very elongated story too, so, I'll try to summarize it. So, until I was around 5 years old kid, I was a mad fan of Rahat Fateh Ali Khan just because my elder sister and brother kept spoonfeeding me his romantic tracks like "Tere mast mast do nain". I was addicted, despite having no understanding of the meaning and even the lyrics lol. And traditional Punjabi music has always been around my house, in the shape of Ataullah Khan Esakhelvi. In fact, his "Kameez Teri Kaali" was 4-year-old me's favorite track lol. I've always been a weird kid with bizarre tastes. Anyways, I quickly lost interest in music due to some personal reasons that I won't talk about here (no not cuz my crush died or something lol). And eventually, I only regained that interest when I was around 11, and ever since, I have been addicted to music. All kinds of music, should I say. From Rap to Qawwalian and Ghazalein, I'm into all.

Urdu Poetry's in the blood, in short. My father has great knowledge of poetry and it's always been there around me. I can recall knowing 2-3 pieces of Allama Iqbal's poetry by heart when I wasn't even 6 maybe. I didn't know the meaning, but my father used to quote those often and I picked them up as an attentive kid. One of them was "Ae tair-e-lahooti uss rizq se maut achi, jis rizq se aati ho parwaaz mein kotaahi", translating roughly to "O angel, it's better to die than live consuming a diet that hampers an (Eagle's) flight". In a nutshell, this means that it is better to die than flourish on the consumption of something that brings disgrace to you, and hampers your flight towards attaining a higher standing in divine terms. So, it's always been inculcated into my mind. And ever since the lockdown hit, my interest in poetry boomed as my solitude really found a refuge in the words of poets.
That is a great story.
Hope you can share your knowledge of Urdu poetry whenever you have time

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
That is a great story.
Hope you can share your knowledge of Urdu poetry whenever you have time
Thank you!

Honestly, I'd love to share the knowledge but currently, I'm really busy and there's no motivation on my end, absolutely none. But hopefully, soon this will change.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Thank you!

Honestly, I'd love to share the knowledge but currently, I'm really busy and there's no motivation on my end, absolutely none. But hopefully, soon this will change.
I get how you feel, happens often with me in the last few years, lose motivation for everything that interests me.

Users who are viewing this thread