Australia in England

What will be outcome of the AshesTest series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
squiz said:
Any captain would have done exactly the same as Ponting, even your precious Michael Vaughan. Green pitch, overcast conditions....

So it was the right decision in your view?

If England didn't have Flintoff we would have batted first had we won the toss.

andrew_nixon said:
Birmingham actually.

Is there anything you don't know?

Birth weights next?

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
ZexyZahid said:
Good that this is now the topic. And not to forget Strauss is also South African.

Aren't both of Strauss' parents English though? Plus he was very young when they left South Africa, so would've had very little say in whether to stay or not...

jonah

International Coach
squiz said:
Any captain would have done exactly the same as Ponting, even your precious Michael Vaughan. Green pitch, overcast conditions....

Any captain? You sure about that? Nasser maybe....;)

Sureshot

Executive member
Wrong decision, It was a bit green but not as much as people were making out, we should've made 100 more than we did.

dazza76

Club Cricketer
ZexyZahid said:
Good that this is now the topic. And not to forget Strauss is also South African. Somebody made a Coloner's list once. Didn't know that these players all came from these countries. But where they come from isn't of any imporantance now.

But I want to know of which origin is Andrew Symonds? I know he is born in England, but looking from his face, he doesn't seems to look like English. Is he Aboriginal?

Parents from the West Indies.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
squiz said:

Shane Warne wouldn't have. In fact he told Ponting as much and Gilchrist had to seperate them. I've got a feeling that were Warne's tour diary to be published now he'd blame Ponting heavily for the defeat. As it is we have to wait a few more years for the auto-biography...

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
dazza76 said:
Parents from the West Indies.

I was reading from the start of the page and I finally got the answer. Thanks. :) This is how I found out he was born in England and yes in Birmingham: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/7702.html

stevie said:
Aren't both of Strauss' parents English though? Plus he was very young when they left South Africa, so would've had very little say in whether to stay or not...

I don't know about that. But his parents are English so for me Strauss is pure English then.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Reider84 said:
I've noticed a lot of people have made the excuse about McGrath and we wouldn't have beaten them if he was playing.... Maybe this is true but remember the last Ashes series?

We were without the injured Andrew Flintoff who is now arguably the best player in the world. Simon Jones was injured early on in the first test and did not play again in the series. These are two players who tore Australia apart in the most recent series.

So if people want to say that Australia have only lost the most recent series because they didn't have McGrath then I'm going to say we would have won the last ashes series 5-0 because both comments are about as true as each other.
You know that doesn't hold water. An easy 4-1 versus a close 2-1. But that's not the issue. Look at the two players; they have improved ten-fold on what they were two years ago.

In 2002, Freddie averaged 27 with the bat and 49 with the ball. Now he's practically the other way around.

Simon Jones was hardly a star player when he came to Australia. In fact he couldn't have seriously been called one up till now. His first class performances up to that point weren't stunning either. In some senses, doing his ACL has helped him to improve, it gave him time to concentrate on his technique.

This year, Glenn McGrath has bowled at an average of 20. You know who McGrath is. Nuff said.

Sureshot

Executive member
ZexyZahid said:
I don't know about that. But his parents are English so for me Strauss is pure English then.

Yep, What if you were born whilst on holiday in say Brazil but had English parents?

Reider84

School Cricketer
angryangy said:
You know that doesn't hold water. An easy 4-1 versus a close 2-1. But that's not the issue. Look at the two players; they have improved ten-fold on what they were two years ago.

In 2002, Freddie averaged 27 with the bat and 49 with the ball. Now he's practically the other way around.

Simon Jones was hardly a star player when he came to Australia. In fact he couldn't have seriously been called one up till now. His first class performances up to that point weren't stunning either. In some senses, doing his ACL has helped him to improve, it gave him time to concentrate on his technique.

This year, Glenn McGrath has bowled at an average of 20. You know who McGrath is. Nuff said.

It wasn't meant to hold water, that's why I added the bit at the end 'both comments are as true as each other'.

I agree with you that Flintoff back then is not as good as McGrath now so it was probably a bigger blow to lose McGrath. I'm just trying to say that people cannot simply say they only lose because they were without one player. It's like saying Australia will not ever win a game again once McGrath retires.

I agree with you that everyone knows who McGrath is and is average speaks for itself. He is probably the greatest seam bowler I have seen in my lifetime but one player does not make a team.

Losing McGrath is not why you lose just the same as losing Jones and Flintoff is not the reason we lost last time.

Australia were the better team last time and England were this time.

Sureshot

Executive member
It works both ways other the last few ashes it's mainly been us that have had the injuries. It's tough luck get used to it.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
With another Ashes year upon us I thought it'd be good to look back on that glorious summer of 2005.

Loved every minute of it. I remember we were having Sky replaced, so I saw the Natwest Series final, but not the Natwest Challenge. I recorded the late night C4 highlights on a VHS and watched them the next morning. Great memories.

The 4th test started on my 14th birthday, and I was at the seaside at my nanny's caravan. We could watch the test inside because it was on FTA! Those were the days. That night, watching England destroy the Aussie top order was brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread