Australia tour of South Africa (Sept-Oct 2016)

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Wow ! What a match. After seeing the total set by Aussies, I was sure SA wouldn't win and I would loose my vCash. SA batted well at the top. But after JP got dismissed, I switched off tv and went to bed. In the morning I wanted to check by how much margin did SA lose. And I was surprised with the result. I bet this is Miller's best innings in his career.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Haven't ever thought that a target above 360+ could be chased so easily with 3-4 balls still remaining. South Africa nailed it and the pathetic bowling of Australia still continue to haunt them. Well, Miller was somewhat lucky to be able to score runs considering the fact that he hasn't done anything remarkable for the past couple of years. QDK will always be the young guy to look out for in SA team. That adds another series loss for Australia in modern day cricket.

Well played SA :)

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
I feel pity for Australia... Imagine someone like Hastings and Zampa bowling the final overs..... You are asking for beatings yourself....

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I'm very happy with the win. Pretorious looks like he can be a capable back up to Morris and Lucky wasn't as awful as I thought (he's still useless IMO). Miller has to bat 4. He needs time to get in and when he does he can destroy any bowling attack. Rossouw is showing his colours at the perfect time (as AB is losing form/injured). Can't wait to see him play tests. I'd want this for the next match:

Amla
de Kock
Rossouw
Miller
Faf
JP
Pretorious
Lucky (I'd rather have Abbott but the wonderful thing called quota is still here)
Rabada
Steyn
Tahir

I'd love it if we gave Viljoen, Abbott, de Lange, Paterson, de Bruyn and co. a chance but I'd imagine the team is going to be 90% quota now that we've won the series. Expect us to lose the rest of the games...

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
If I can add my two cents, I would like Miller to be at #5 because that is where he can consolidate or smash as per the match situation. This will not only give him new experience of shaping an innings if needed, most times it will also not take away from his comfort zone of hitting the ball. Faf is better player for #4 position. He is an excellent player capable of holding the innings together.

BTW, sorry for being ignorant but why are Australia fielding a second string attack? Obviously they would be having potential to make it in the team but are the seamers like Hazlewood, Cummins, Pattinson, Bird, Sandhu, Coulter-Nile all injured?

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
If I can add my two cents, I would like Miller to be at #5 because that is where he can consolidate or smash as per the match situation. This will not only give him new experience of shaping an innings if needed, most times it will also not take away from his comfort zone of hitting the ball. Faf is better player for #4 position. He is an excellent player capable of holding the innings together.

BTW, sorry for being ignorant but why are Australia fielding a second string attack? Obviously they would be having potential to make it in the team but are the seamers like Hazlewood, Cummins, Pattinson, Bird, Sandhu, Coulter-Nile all injured?

Yea I'd put Faf in at 4 until 25-35 overs but after I'd put Miller in. The reason why I don't want him too low is because he needs time to build an innings. He isn't an Albie Morkel-esque walk in a smash from ball one. He needs time to get himself in.

Who's Lucky?
Andile Phelukwayo

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Yea I'd put Faf in at 4 until 25-35 overs but after I'd put Miller in. The reason why I don't want him too low is because he needs time to build an innings. He isn't an Albie Morkel-esque walk in a smash from ball one. He needs time to get himself in.
Absolutely but I would till around 30 overs because AFA I know he is not a great player of spin and there will be some spin in the middle overs. Also, if he is sent at 25 overs mark and he gets out at say 40th over, I don't think there is a great hitter in the team unless AB is back in which case Miller has to bat down anyway because Rossouw will be at #3 and Faf cannot do all the hitting if we have him coming after Miller. JP can sent in for sure but his form has always been debatable.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
No they were not. If anything, this South Africa vs Australia game was played on an even flatter wicket and on a smaller ground than that India vs Australia game.
Even flatter means that it ended up 370+ score per side.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Even flatter means Australia could have easily got over 400 but they lost wickets while looking for quick runs. This article might help you understand.

Numbers Game: The ODI run-fest in South Africa | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
Thanks for linking an useful article. South Africa is only next to India in terms of scoring high (runs per wicket). Australia could've done way more better than this but the flop show from newly built bowling unit seemed to be a huge drawback. Hope they get a right bowling combination in the next game.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Now basically you see how feeble Austalia's bowling is without Starc and Hazlewood. Maybe even Coulter-Nile. As George Bailey put it, the batsmen are not doing their job and letting the bowlers down. Now, there is some truth to this and some that is not. Aus completely fell below their usual standard in the 2nd ODI, but SA essentially scored 300 in all their matches (OK, they chased 295, they wouldve made 380+ if they were batting first) The batsmen, yes, they weren't good enough, but it came up to fault, then it is definitely the bowlers fault. You would've expected Tremain, Worrall and Mennie to do so good due to great performances for the A team, but they just flopped. I expected this series to go down to the wire, but all that I saw was Aus' bowling attack is feeble and SA crushing Aus in the first three matches. I just hope Aus can regain some pride in the upcoming matches...:noway.. but I'm afraid it will be difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread