Australian Domestic Cricket

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well, ab bit of news for us Aussie state fans to talk about:

- Damien Fleming reckons Shane Watson needs to just play State cricket for a while to get his body and fitness right.

- The Bulls will be looking for a new captain next season after another veteran is handing it over! Jimmy Maher says he will play on however.

- And the most standout headline is that former coach John Buchanan, has said Watson should maybe give up bowling all together to focus on his batting in Tests.

Firstly, I think that its a great idea for Watson to play a full season of state cricket, let him play a few ODIs when his form is at its peak and when he has been able to string a few games together. So in other words, I agree with Fleming, this allows Andrew Symonds about 5 Tests to really cement his place in the team. He hasn't had enough chances to cement it with the selectors obsession with Watson. This could turn out to be a good thing for Watson anyways. He could get his body right and then next season when he 100% fit he can really give it all he's got for that Test position. Read the Symonds and Watson battle here.

Now, the Bulls. There are a handful of regular players that could choose for the captaincy and the big plus is that Maher is staying on so he can nurture them through their new role. They may go for experience in a bowler, but I think the dark horse might be their 'keeper Hartley. He is young, has a long future ahead of him domestically and possible internationally. I don't know, they also have Watson their or any of their middle order batsman.

This would totally wreck Watson. To give up bowling would be basically be cutting him in two and saying you can only have the best of you. His bowling backs up his bowling and I think its actually the bowling that the selectors most like about him. I think the selectors want Watson in the Test team so they have that fourth seamer, and an extra bat so they can play MacGill at XI.

Without his bowling he is still a decent batsman, but a batsman capable of playing in the Aussie middle order on his own? Nah, don't think he cuts it yet. But if he plays that domestic cricket all season and in the Pura cup he dominates - you never know.

cricketmad09

International Coach
If Watson has to give up bowling, then he won't play for Australia again, because he isn't good enough as a stand alone batsmen.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
His batting is alright but I can't see him getting in on that alone. His bowling is the only reason the selectors keep going back to him. Plus knowing Watson there is no way he'll give up bowling.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
If Watson has to give up bowling, then he won't play for Australia again, because he isn't good enough as a stand alone batsmen.

Yeah, I agree. He may be good at Domestic level, but I dont think he is a good enough batsman to bat top four as some commentators have been saying he could. Oh and them idiots who reckon Watson is a chance of opening this Test series coming up are absolute clowns!

His batting is alright but I can't see him getting in on that alone. His bowling is the only reason the selectors keep going back to him. Plus knowing Watson there is no way he'll give up bowling.

I know the selectors must love Watson because they are obsessed with his bowling! They reckon he is Shane "Freddie" Watson! Stupid...

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
On paper Watson looks to be exactly what we need. Good batter and RFM, problem is he does nothing with the ball. I hope he sticks with bowling and makes improvements (not likely). Henriques is my pick for our all rounder.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Your right, Watson DOES NOTHING with the ball. No swing at all, even when he gets the newish ball, no seam movement however green the pitch is. He is just useless in the bowling apartment yet the selectors love him for his bowling mainly.

Henriques? Maybe in a few years, I don't think he can challenge Watson yet unless he is better in the sack then Watson is with the selectors;)

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
He isn't good enough as an All-Rounder at bowling, yet he still gets picked.

Watson's repertoire: Short ball, very short ball, bouncer.

That is all he can do. The sooner he gives up international cricket the better.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Your right, Watson DOES NOTHING with the ball. No swing at all, even when he gets the newish ball, no seam movement however green the pitch is. He is just useless in the bowling apartment yet the selectors love him for his bowling mainly.

Henriques? Maybe in a few years, I don't think he can challenge Watson yet unless he is better in the sack then Watson is with the selectors;)

I reckon he could challenge Watto :p If he has a good season I wouldn't mind seeing him given a go. India and Pakistan do it all the time and quite a few of theirs come off.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Hmm, I sense a bit of a NSQ biased mentality here:p Nah, he is OK I think. I have seen him bowl a few times in the FR Cup. He isn't bad at all. I dont know how he bats but...

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Watson gets way over-criticised for his batting. He averages over 30 in ODIs as what has essentially been a spare parts role. In recent times, he's played some really good innings. I think he looks every bit of his domestic record as a batsman.

Damn straight about his bowling, though I think he can also bowl cutters. I will definitely add to his repetoire of short deliveries a slow full toss.

In this period of recovery, they should consider remodelling his action into something useful. Outswing is probably the most obvious.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hmm, I sense a bit of a NSQ biased mentality here:p Nah, he is OK I think. I have seen him bowl a few times in the FR Cup. He isn't bad at all. I dont know how he bats but...

Hehe, nah I'll support any good all rounder. Did forget Butterworth and MacDonald both bowled well last season.

Users who are viewing this thread