Australian Domestic Cricket

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Watson gets way over-criticised for his batting. He averages over 30 in ODIs as what has essentially been a spare parts role. In recent times, he's played some really good innings. I think he looks every bit of his domestic record as a batsman.

Damn straight about his bowling, though I think he can also bowl cutters. I will definitely add to his repetoire of short deliveries a slow full toss.

In this period of recovery, they should consider remodelling his action into something useful. Outswing is probably the most obvious.
Watch Watson bowl, he cannot cut nor swing the ball!

I didnt hear much about the Tasmanian but that Victorian ranga looked good, MacDonald.

I just hope that Langer still plays well after his good County season, with him, North as our captain and new coach Tom Moody we actually challenge for a title this season.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Watson gets way over-criticised for his batting. He averages over 30 in ODIs as what has essentially been a spare parts role. In recent times, he's played some really good innings. I think he looks every bit of his domestic record as a batsman.

Damn straight about his bowling, though I think he can also bowl cutters. I will definitely add to his repetoire of short deliveries a slow full toss.

In this period of recovery, they should consider remodelling his action into something useful. Outswing is probably the most obvious.
Watson is a good batsman, he would be better if he focused on it more.

He is not worth it though because he is being picked mostly because of his bowling, he would not be there as a pure batsman.

As for Henriques, could people talk him up any more? There are plenty of all-rounders who have shown more than him so far, results>reputation. He may look promising, but he is not ready for international cricket, he is too young and too raw. He hasn't set the country on fire just yet. I'm sure that he will get his chance, but there are others waiting in line who should be ahead of him.

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Watch Watson bowl, he cannot cut nor swing the ball!

I didnt hear much about the Tasmanian but that Victorian ranga looked good, MacDonald.

I just hope that Langer still plays well after his good County season, with him, North as our captain and new coach Tom Moody we actually challenge for a title this season.

MacDonald is tall so he can replicate what McGrath and now Clark do with bowling. His batting came along last season and hes young. Hopefully he has another good season and gets picked. Butterworth stood out last season with bowling, handy with the bat again another good season and we might see him in the side as well.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
How fast does MacDonald bowl? Because at his pace and his accuracy and without the sort of reputation that McGrath has he may get slogged in ODI Cricket if he comes in now. I think he should stay in the Domestic game for at least another season to show that he really has what it takes. But knowing the selectors they will go with Henriques first before trying MacDonald because Henriques is a New South Welshman.

So who do you guys think will be the dominant spinner this season domestically? Iam keen to know who you think has the brightest future...

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
How fast does MacDonald bowl? Because at his pace and his accuracy and without the sort of reputation that McGrath has he may get slogged in ODI Cricket if he comes in now. I think he should stay in the Domestic game for at least another season to show that he really has what it takes. But knowing the selectors they will go with Henriques first before trying MacDonald because Henriques is a New South Welshman.

So who do you guys think will be the dominant spinner this season domestically? Iam keen to know who you think has the brightest future...
McDonald is not very fast, he's classed as a medium bowler at times, and fast medium at others. He is a decent and accurate bowler, but his batting has emerged a lot recently.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator

Hopefully the selectors wait for Henriques to perform as right now he'll be conceding extras and runs at a rate of knots.

No spinner really stood up last season so who knows who will stand up this time round. I'm hoping Casson comes good.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Hopefully the selectors wait for Henriques to perform as right now he'll be conceding extras and runs at a rate of knots.

No spinner really stood up last season so who knows who will stand up this time round. I'm hoping Casson comes good.
Very true, Hauritz did pretty well, but Cullen took several steps backward last year, getting dropped from the South Australian Pura Cup side. Bailey was another one who looked decent.

irottev

School Cricketer
NZA lost to South Australia and won to Victoria.

Hopkins getting the runs, Mason getting the wickets.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Very true, Hauritz did pretty well, but Cullen took several steps backward last year, getting dropped from the South Australian Pura Cup side. Bailey was another one who looked decent.

Yea Hauritz was a surprise pick of the OD spinners. The new WA spinner had a good season at the WACA.

NZA lost to South Australia and won to Victoria.

Hopkins getting the runs, Mason getting the wickets.

Is there scorecards for that?

Hooper

ICC Board Member
The new WA spinner had a good season at the WACA.

Aaron Heal, he is a young orthodox spinner that actually came from my local club! He was a junior who played a few seasons ahead of me and when he finished at my club I was just joining! Pretty cool eh?

...Just hope NSW don't poach another WA player:D

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Maybe you're next in line? :)

Hehe Heal and Casson got a good ring to it :p Honestly though can't see us poaching another spinner as we've got so many.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Maybe you're next in line? :)

Hehe Heal and Casson got a good ring to it :p Honestly though can't see us poaching another spinner as we've got so many.

Haha, I wish. I wish I had the chance to actually meet him playing for our lowly club lol I am a spinner (Off Spin) like him as well you never know:D.

No if you guys get another spinner of ours I will seriously go and talk to Coach Tom Moody because Heal is a great prospect I beleive and with the WACA pitch now turning he could become really effective this season when Hogg is on International duty.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
It'll be good seeing Heal develop just not good seeing the WACA become a spin pitch.

Our first squad of the season has been announced. No Casson who scored a 100 in Grade cricket.

New South Wales squad Phil Jaques, Ed Cowan, Simon Katich (capt), Dominic Thornely, Peter Forrest, Daniel Smith (wk), Grant Lambert, Moises Henriques, Stephen O'Keefe, Nathan Hauritz, Doug Bollinger, Mark Cameron, Matthew Nicholson, Stuart MacGill.

Good seeing Birt scoring a 50 against NZ A.

Just had a look at the Tassie rookies James Faulkner sounds promising from what I've read, an all rounder which is handy.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
I'd be looking out for players like Birt, North, Voges, Dave Hussey and co to take a step up this year, with their ages saying that they need to start performing, although Hussey and Voges have been doing well, they will want to get in the squad ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread