Australia
Brendan Taylor made the highest score by a Zimbabwe captain-171 :thumbs

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
Was very impressed with Taylor's innings. Received good support from the tail - probably the strongest we have batting wise. I don't think they are our best bowlers though: I think Cremer is great, and he's in good form with the bat, but he hasn't been bowling that well unfortunately.Price should of played ahead of him. Chatara defiantly should of been selected ahead of Meth, specially with Mpofu out injured. Just happy to see Shingi back in the side, so won't complain about his selection. They had to keep Jarvis after he was pretty much the only one that looked dangerous against West Indies. Chatara had he's moments as well. I would of preferred if they'd left Chigumbura's return for the shorter forms. They would of been better-off using Cremer or Maruma as a all-rounder. Should just be happy we're going well for once. :p

It's really important that we keep the pressure on Bangladesh's batsmen, because if they get settled, we could be in for a long day. Our fielding needs to be at it's best as well, already dropped at least one catch.

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Zimbabwe on top thanks to Taylor, surprisingly for a big hundred (171) and it being Taylor, he didn't hit many fours or sixes (8/2) I hope Zimbabwe can make inroads, not just because Zimbabwe and Bangladesh are opposite ends of the me liking scale, but because otherwise it may fizzle out into a boring draw.

Both sides have problems with batting and bowling agains the top sides, if neither can knock over the other then it just confirms absolutely that we need two tiers asap. Have Bangladesh ever had a particularly potent bowler? And I don't mean with good figures overall, I mean one that could mix it with the top sides and hold their own against all comers.

troll3y

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Sri Lanka
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Both sides have problems with batting and bowling agains the top sides, if neither can knock over the other then it just confirms absolutely that we need two tiers asap.
nooooooooooooo :facepalm I've made a couple of lengthy, heart-felt posts around the internet, but this thread isn't the place. The bottom line is that segregating Test teams would be like dividing the rich and the poor: the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Nobody wins. Lower-ranked players and countries can only benefit from rubbing shoulders with better players and teams, not by competing against each other and getting easily beaten, but by association in training and touring. Ireland have benefited greatly by association with England, and many of Afghanistan's players learned the game in Pakistan with Pakistani influence. Associate players playing in the BPL and IPL must learn so much just by training with Test players. But I digress.

I was surprised to see Bangladesh only one wicket down at stumps. I wasn't able to follow after Zimbabwe were about nine wickets down, but I thought (hoped) Jarvis and co. would bowl be more successful. Both teams spilled a slips catch in the first over, but Bangladesh have made their opportunity count. Have Zimbabwe bowled badly, or were Bangladesh just aggressive? The Test is evenly poised now, and whoever 'wins' today should be in a good position to win outright.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
yeah, but bangladesh are pretty much in a situation where the longer zimbabwe bat the more chance they have of saving the test, the worst thing they could do is bundle them out for 150 as it's unlikely they'll score the 400 needed to win the test.

looks like an awful call fielding first, and bangladesh would have been better playing 3 seamers no matter how poor they are.

another gone, well, bundling them out for 50 wouldn't be too bad.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
after the high point of 2010-2011 the good tests have dried up a bit. not even the smaller nations are putting together competitve matches.

we've had 19 tests so far in 2013 (this is the 20th) and england and bangladesh (in sri lanka) are the only teams that have managed to even get a draw. 6 whitewashes out of 8 series. bit grim really.

Last edited:

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Brendan Taylor looking set for 2 hundreds in a game, and thus also putting Zimbabwe in prime position to win it(not that they really needed his 2nd hundred). Shame there's no 3rd Test, because I reckon the 2nd Test will be a lot more competitive compared to this one.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Brendan Taylor looking set for 2 hundreds in a game, and thus also putting Zimbabwe in prime position to win it(not that they really needed his 2nd hundred). Shame there's no 3rd Test, because I reckon the 2nd Test will be a lot more competitive compared to this one.

Yes, I think as soon as Taylor gets to 100 (if he does) Zimbabwe should declare. That should give them 5 sessions to bowl out Bangladesh which i'm confident they can do.

Owzat

International Coach
nooooooooooooo :facepalm I've made a couple of lengthy, heart-felt posts around the internet, but this thread isn't the place. The bottom line is that segregating Test teams would be like dividing the rich and the poor: the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Nobody wins. Lower-ranked players and countries can only benefit from rubbing shoulders with better players and teams, not by competing against each other and getting easily beaten, but by association in training and touring. Ireland have benefited greatly by association with England, and many of Afghanistan's players learned the game in Pakistan with Pakistani influence. Associate players playing in the BPL and IPL must learn so much just by training with Test players. But I digress.

"nooooooooooooo" :facepalm Getting thrashed all the time helps noone, and yet you're saying "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer" blatantly ignoring the fact that the poor - all the non-Test teams - don't even get to take part in the current set up, and never will.

I used to play someone who was vastly better than me at snooker, he came out with somec rap about it was the best way for me to improve. I'd make a great referee, picking the balls out of the pockets all the time and respotting them :rolleyes:

The way to develop is to play teams/players around your level, slightly better or slightly worse, not getting thrashed all the time which demoralises. And nobody wants to watch it, and the money has been going into Bangladeshi pockets for over a decade now and THEY'RE STILLS HITE.

The money will just be pished away, given to the undeserving for underperforming. People are moaning about the ?60m parachute payments proposed for sides relegated to the Championship in football, I quite agree that it is a joke throwing money at the three worst teams in the division and thus rewarding failure. While I think money should be more evenly distributed, persisting with an unworking structure to GIVE money to the weakest sides is a poor approach and while people cling on for the most stupid of reasons/ing then cricket will suffer.

It's not even like Bangladesh can be relegated and a better team given a chance. Bangladesh have their foot in the door and kicking all the other people to stop them getting in. If Bangladesh had to earn a placing/ranking among all teams they'd most likely not be in the top 10

I was surprised to see Bangladesh only one wicket down at stumps. I wasn't able to follow after Zimbabwe were about nine wickets down, but I thought (hoped) Jarvis and co. would bowl be more successful. Both teams spilled a slips catch in the first over, but Bangladesh have made their opportunity count. Have Zimbabwe bowled badly, or were Bangladesh just aggressive? The Test is evenly poised now, and whoever 'wins' today should be in a good position to win outright.

Zimbabwe have taken big strides towards victory, even though they themselves are being skittled second time around.

----------

after the high point of 2010-2011 the good tests have dried up a bit. not even the smaller nations are putting together competitve matches.

we've had 19 tests so far in 2013 (this is the 20th) and england and bangladesh (in sri lanka) are the only teams that have managed to even get a draw. 6 whitewashes out of 8 series. bit grim really.

For me even more evidence we need tiers, and that isn't to cut off "the poor" but to restructure so it is competitive and everyone can take part and progress.

Cricket as it is is stagnating, there's simply too much cricket and the cashcow that is the IPL may turn more and more heads while a lot of people have their heads stuck in the sand (like troll3yboy) thinking this is the best or even only way. When Zimbabwe came in it was about the right number of teams, but then South Africa returned, Sri Lanka became a better side and Bangladesh has to be the worst side given Test status. I won't do the stats again, we all know they've won like three Tests and two of those were against a weakened West Indies side through politics. It's not even like they're good enough to draw.

Until people open their eyes and minds the thing that will suffer most is the cricket. The ICC aren't Robin Hood, they won't take from the rich to give to the poor. And trust me, Bangladesh are poor but more in the playing sense than the financial sense. To be rubbish at your job and get paid for it must be awesome, if you have no morals and care only about yourself.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
how would tiers have made india v australia competitive? or south africa v pakistan? or west indies v zimbabwe? or this series? all of those series have taken place between equally matched teams. the only competitive series this year has been NZ v england, probably the most mis-matched series of the year ranking wise. the tier system helping competitve mostly doesn't pan out in practice.

you know this series will probably lose money by the way? how on earth do you think using an unsustainable business model will help crickets future?

the other point is, when was the last time bangladesh faced india, england, SAF or australia, the big teams? because the next time they have a series against any of them is summer 2015, more than 2 years away. so in some regards the arguement seems moot as you are getting exactly what you want to a degree anyway.

To be rubbish at your job and get paid for it must be awesome, if you have no morals and care only about yourself.

a money-centric, capatalist approach to playing and performance is not what we need. ultimately that goes down the road of scrapping international cricket all together and having a 9 month IPL, where franchise contracts can determine the true value of a player and how many people you get watching on TV determines the worth of a match.

Last edited:

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles