Batting powerplay

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
This is something that's been frustrating me for a while. In the NZ - Aus game yesterday for 90-100% of the first 35 overs McCullum only had 2 or 3 men outside the circle, hence pretty much the whole time Australia were effectively in a batting powerplay. Then it gets taken and the commentators start discussing how the batting team should play during this time, and I'd just like one of them to point out that the field is exactly the same as it has been. I've noticed this on quite a few occasions recently as well, especially with McCullum and his aggressive nature as captain. It also happened in the NZ - SL game, again 90-100% of the first 34 overs McCullum only had 2 or 3 men outside the circle, and around the 30 over mark the commentators start going on about how they should take the batting powerplay early to take advantage of it. It just annoys me because these oldie commentators just don't get it, and how it only actually matter if a team is say 175 for 2 after 35 overs and they can really accelerate which hasn't really been happening a lot lately.

You can apply the same logic to the players. Batsmen like Voges yesterday having a slog 2nd or 3rd ball of it when he's had the exact same field for the previous 5 or so overs (only 3 players out). And the bowling team bringing back their strongest bowlers for these overs, which at least McCullum had the initiative not to do yesterday because he understood the situation of the game.

So my point is has this batting powerplay actually done anything for 50 over cricket? Tbh I'd just like to go back to the 15 overs at the start of the innings, because that allows the batting team to build for the first 5 - 10 overs like they do atm, and then if they haven't lost any wickets they can attack from 10 - 15 overs with only 2 men outside the circle. Atm despite all of the hype that goes with it (from the commentators every game), if you actually stop and look at it very really does it actually have any effect on how the game should be played. Alternatively would it be better if they made it more meaningful and only allowed 2 fielders out during it?

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think a lot of captains/sides fear the batting powerplay will disrupt momentum and they'll lose wickets trying to score quick runs.

I think it does nothing, cricket seems to be focusing too much on runs, runs, runs. It might be much cooler and more fun if they made all 10 non-keepers in the side bowl at least 2-3 overs each, say give the main four (nominated) bowlers nine overs each and the other 14 have to come from the remaining six players - maybe even make it 14 from the other seven.

People see 250-300 runs off 50 overs, why is there any concern at all about "middle overs" ?

Users who are viewing this thread