Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
NXdHUpU.jpg

BEHIND ENEMY LINES

An Ashes Cricket Story

Firstly, welcome. I've been mulling this one over for months but having recently settled on some good settings, I thought I'd take the plunge. This idea has taken a number of forms as it’s gone round in my head, and I just thought that with this forum being dead since the announcement of Cricket 19, it was now or never. I also needed to ponder how best I could support a story and bring it to life, and what I had time to create. Knowing the next Ashes probably won’t be on my horizon until around December 2019 also gave me a push.

Hopefully you all enjoy. Feedback is more than welcome, as are posts/comments if you're following along. Knowing people are reading and enjoying is always a great motivator to do more! I’ll have specific date headers for anything story related that I post so you’ll know what is and isn’t part of the narrative.

Info

• All the players used will be the DJ Method teams from @wasteyouryouth. They’re detailed here: https://www.planetcricket.org/forums/threads/dean-johnes-method-reskilling-players.111768/
  • I’ll also be using my own sliders, which are detailed here: https://www.planetcricket.org/forums/threads/around-the-world-in-80-pitch-sliders.112469/ They’re still evolving, but I’ll try and be as consistent as I can.
  • Apologies now for some of the content! I’ll be putting highlights together using PS4’s ShareFactory, and whilst it’s a useful piece of kit, it won’t be the most polished. Also, I’ll create some content using Photoshop. I’m not an expert at this either, but hopefully it’s enough to get the job done. Just a friendly warning, I’m not an expert, nor do I claim to be!
  • I’ll be stat tracking the games and series myself and hopefully that’ll help to paint a picture of what is happening to the team, and their opponents. Equally, there will be some performance based ability alterations made to players throughout the story, and players will be subject to age/regression/injury, which should mix things up as well. Some are random. Some are planned. Hopefully all will add realism and depth.
  • I’ll try to keep all highlight videos around 5 minutes in length so they’re a snappier watch, and I’ll also utilise spoiler tags where possible so that posts don’t get too long.
  • I'd imagine I'll push a new post out every 2 to 3 days. That way it's not too much all at once, but it also isn't forever between posts. I always try to create a backlog of stuff to post so that I'm a good distance ahead real time compared to what is being posted.
  • Finally, all content is unrelated to any real life person, player or media member. This is just me filling some spare time. Thanks to Big Ant for making the game for me to use as the basis for the story!
Premise

Beginning in late July 2019 after England have successfully claimed the ODI World Cup on home soil, we join the Australian side as they embark on their 2019 Ashes campaign. As underdogs, they’re hoping to turn the page and make strides towards their former glories.

Told through a number of avenues, this story will focus on the 2019 Ashes series and beyond as the ICC World Test Championship gets underway. There will be a number of recognisable media personalities that will give their opinion on the various events that unfold, providing depth and clarity to what is happening both on and off the field.

Through the journal entries of Australian Team Manager Bob Turner, we can also enjoy a behind the scenes glimpse into the Aussie dressing room and management team. An Englishman by birth and a long serving team manager in the English County game, Bob is our man behind enemy lines!

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Reserved for Schedule, Results and Averages

1st Test - Edgbaston, Birmingham
AUSTRALIA WIN BY 9 WICKETS (1-0)

Australia 1st innings - 547, 133.0 overs, K.Patterson 268, B.Stokes 29-1-109-4
England 1st innings - 343, 104.5 overs, J.Buttler 83, P.Cummins 26.5-8-65-3
England 2nd innings (F/O) - 261, 80.3 overs, J.Bairstow 101, M.Starc 23.3-11-5-50
Australia 2nd innings - 58-1, 7.3 overs, U.Khawaja 33*, S.Broad 3.3-0-1-28

2nd Test - Lord's, London
AUSTRALIA WIN BY 9 WICKETS (2-0)

England 1st innings - 119, 48.3 overs, B.Stokes 47, P.Cummins 18-5-42-4
Australia 1st innings - 237, 69.5 overs, M.Renshaw 72, M.Ali 17-2-44-4
England 2nd innings - 221, 69.4 overs, J.Denly 53, M.Starc 23-7-4-78
Australia 2nd Innings - 105-1, 20.3 overs, M.Harris 54*, S.Curran 5-0-22-1

3rd Test - Headingley, Leeds

4th Test - Old Trafford, Manchester

5th Test - The KIA Oval, London

AVERAGES

After 2 Tests

ENGLAND

Batting
xPFcYPT.jpg

Bowling
S7CpimB.jpg

AUSTRALIA

Batting
jgEtSv7.jpg

Bowling
cYfmXMI.jpg

Last edited:

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Ashes 2019 - 25 JULY 2019

BdrCsR0.jpg

Statement on selection for the Men's Test team

-----------------------

July 17, 2019

Today Cricket Australia have announced that they will no longer be considering former Captain Steve Smith for selection. The decision also extends to includes David Warner and Cameron Bancroft and is related to the actions of all three players in March 2018’s Ball Tampering scandal.

The central values of Cricket Australia are founded on a principle that the honour of playing for your country is earned, and not a right. Integrity is not an interchangeable part of those values. All three players were bestowed with the opportunity to represent Australia and did not accept that opportunity in a way that was befitting of the values of Cricket Australia or the country as a whole. As such, the decision has been taken that all three players should no longer be considered for selection.

Cricket Australia has now taken the decision to move the National Team in a new direction. With this disappointment comes opportunity, and the upcoming Ashes series will no doubt provide a window for Australia’s new stars to thrive. Captain Tim Paine has an excellent squad at his disposal and we are excited to see what this team can achieve when the first Test begins in Birmingham in a few weeks’ time.

With the previous sanctions on all three players now at an end, Cricket Australia would like to wish Steven, David and Cameron all the best in their future endeavours, and thank them for their previous service to our National Teams up until March 2018.

END OF RELEASE

Last edited:

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Thanks mate, I'll see how we go. Hopefully I can get some good stuff coming out. I'll have something new in a day or two!

D

Dutch

Might inspire me....If you are looking for some original music for a vid check out my sig or I can make you something! (Or just ignore...all good!)

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Ashes 2019 - 1 AUGUST 2019

2019 Ashes, 1st Test - Edgbaston, Birmingham.

England v Australia, Series Tied 0-0

jrptX0i.jpg

Nasser Hussain: “Here we are then for the first Test match of what is sure to be another thrilling Ashes series. Can England continue their summer of success, or will Australia upset the form book? While we ponder that one, let me introduce the two men to my right. Joining me this morning is David Lloyd, and an Australian who needs no introduction, Shane Warne. Gents, any thoughts on this one?"

KMlJrvZ.jpg

David Lloyd: “Thanks Nas. I think this is going to be a hugely important game in the context of the series, as the opening contest usually is. Who can establish that momentum? England will be hoping to put pressure on Australia immediately, so don’t be surprised to if Joe Root puts Australia in should he win the toss.”

OTveoAC.jpg

Shane Warne: “Look, we all know about what’s come before. No Smith, Warner, or Bancroft. The Test form has been average at best, particularly with the bat. I don’t think Australia would mind bowling first, it’s probably their stronger unit, but they’re underdogs here for a reason and they’ll need to perform in all three phases of the game to be competitive.”

NH: “Thank you gentlemen, let’s head down to the pitch and take a look at the surface as we wait for the team lists and the toss.”

NH: “Well, surprises straight out the gate to some extend with those line ups. Shane?”

SW: “I’d heard rumour that the Aussies were thinking about that extra seamer, but a shame that Marnus Labuschagne misses out. The pitch probably won’t do too much spin wise so Nath can carry the load there. I like Stoinis, he’s a charismatic guy and he’ll want to stand up to the packed house and give the home fans a bit back once they start to get into things. He’s a fighter.”

DL: “I like England’s balance. Still harsh on the keeper, Foakes, but I think they made the right move going with an extra batsman in these conditions. Curran, Broad, Anderson and Stokes are more than able on an English wicket, Ali will chip in, and an extra bowler might have been redundant. Is Malan the man to come in and fill that void, time will tell. England do like to give their lads a lot of chances lately, just as ask Keaton Jennings!”

NH: “I also like Bairstow back at number five. He’s a better fit there, and look how deep England bat. Curran is probably one or two spots too low, but where else would you put him? I don’t think they’ve weakened their bowling to do it either. That’s some batting line up.”

DL: “And batting might be the order of the day, well, the next five days! It’s a green one, as you’d expect, and you can get the key into it as well so it’ll probably do it a bit. The weather is set fair and that should help the batsmen. Winning the toss was a big one for Australia, they might get the best of this pitch in the early going. The forecast suggests cloud cover the rest of the way, so getting some runs while the sun shines should be priority number one. Tomorrow might be a different story.”

SW: “I think Australia need to have a positive day. It was their call. They won, and they wanted to bat. Now they need to back that faith up and put runs on the board.”

NH: “Anderson and Broad will be a handful with the new ball, as always, but if Australia can survive they can prosper. Let’s head down to the pitch and see how they get on in the morning session. Thanks guys."

TEAMS

ENGLAND
AUSTRALIA
1) Rory Burns​
1) Marcus Harris​
2) Joe Denly​
2) Joe Burns​
3) Dawid Malan​
3) Usman Khawaja​
4) Joe Root (C)​
4) Kurtis Patterson​
5) Jonny Bairstow (WK)​
5) Travis Head​
6) Ben Stokes​
6) Tim Paine (C/WK)​
7) Jos Buttler​
7) Marcus Stoinis​
8) Moeen Ali​
8) Pat Cummins​
9) Sam Curran​
9) Mitchell Starc​
10) Stuart Broad​
10) Nathan Lyon​
11) James Anderson​
11) Josh Hazelwood​

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Ashes 2019 - 1 AUGUST 2019

2019 Ashes, 1st Test - Edgbaston, Birmingham.

Lunch Day 1

England v Australia, Series Tied 0-0

Australia 1st innings - 112-2, 31.0 overs, U.Khawaja 50*, B.Stokes 5-1-11-1

A7CD0eN.jpg

Michael Atherton: “Well, I’m sure we can all agree that was a great session of Test cricket. England managed to make some inroads with the wickets of Burns and Harris, but Usman Khawaja has fought back for Australia to set them up nicely going into this afternoon.”

jrptX0i.jpg

Nasser Hussain: “We spoke this morning about the need for Australia to be positive and they’ve certainly done that. Scoring at over 3 and a half runs an over, they’ve had the scoreboard ticking quickly at certain points and that’s clearly how they want to go after England here. Be fast, be aggressive, and take the crowd out of the game.”

OTveoAC.jpg

Shane Warne: “If I’m honest, I like it. I don’t want to just toe the line as the token Australian, but I think the Aussies needed this. England will have been expecting a fragile batting line up and to have them 4 or 5 down by lunch. What they’ve found are a few guys willing to go at them to put their team ahead. Hopefully they can do more of it this afternoon.”

MA: “Let’s take a look back at the morning session and see how it panned out.”

MA: “One to forget for Joe Burns!”

NH: “We’ve all had them, but that won’t make him feel better sat in the dressing room. It’s a questionable tactic to leave a ball that close to stumps from Jimmy Anderson, but if it stays straight it’s a regulation dot ball that doesn’t bear mentioning. Instead it’s done a bit and Hawk-Eye has the ball knocking down middle stump.”

SW: “A nightmare, for sure, but he’ll be able to learn from it. Joe’s a talented player and he’ll be looking to come back stronger in the 2nd innings. I was impressed with Marcus Harris as well. He looked confident until he got one from Stokes that you could tell he wanted to leave, but he darted at it last minute and got an edge. Still, he looks like he belongs at this level.”

MA: “And speaking of talented players, Usman Khawaja has looked very good in that opening session. He made his intentions clear by carving his first ball through point to the boundary and he’s been the aggressor for Australia so far.”

NH: “He’s looked very assured. It wasn’t until he got close to his 50 that he dropped back to below a 100 strike rate. Again, it looks like a specific strategy from Australia to try and get on top of this English attack and although they’ve lost a couple of wickets, it’s certainly working. Kurtis Patterson has played into that as well; he’s not been shy of taking these bowlers on.”

SW: “Let’s not forget, it could have been worse for Australia though! Harris nicked a drive early that dropped just short of gully. Khawaja hooked one off his body that Bairstow just couldn’t get underneath from behind the stumps. There’s been a couple that have beaten the bat as well. It’s been an even contest this morning even if the scoreboard looks to be a little bit more in Australia’s favour.”

MA: "Alright, that’s all we’ve got time for here as the players are back on the pitch ready for the afternoon session. Can Australia continue their positive start from this morning, or will England find a way to peg them back?”

Last edited:

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Pumping a post a day out at the moment just to get it started and so there’s a bit more for people to read.

Won’t continue at that pace, I don’t get on my PS4 enough for that haha!

Users who are viewing this thread