Best place to sit at the Oval?

ree

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
bonjour!

i'm going to take a punt on buying 5th day tickets for the next test at the oval - haven't been there before but most areas are on sale - which area is the best place to sit for a bit of friendly banter and few pints?

:cheers

sd92

International Coach
The best viewing is on the balcony, as you can see all the action, and the seats are at an angle, so it doesnt matter if you get an 11ft bloke in front of you, a good place is directly to the side of the wicket, as you can see all the action from there....or alternatively a private box, which is behind and above the level of the wicket, you can see it all from there.

KBC

Panel of Selectors
Well,i'm gonna get the place for myself on the Bow Dome in the stadium.it's oval and great to see the cricketing action from a height and The city.

sd92

International Coach
By the way Ree, 5th day isnt a good idea, its more than likely you wont see a lot of cricket...

Chimp132

International Cricketer
never know, he could see a full day, could see a match winning innins lol, o for somewhere in the corners of the ground looking on at a angle, thats what i go for

sd92

International Coach
Well not many tests these days have a full fifth day, in fact far from it, the latest test between India and England being an example...but then again the first test was a draw...i would go for the fourth day personally

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Personally I prefer as directly behind the wickets as possible without being behind the sight screen of course. Ticket prices agree with me, as they are more premium seats. This is because you can see the ball a lot better, and its pace. That is also why they film on TV from in front of the batsman rather than on the side of the wickets.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
By the way Ree, 5th day isnt a good idea, its more than likely you wont see a lot of cricket...
Well I think he's pretty much stuck with day 5 as it'll be pretty much sold out on other days, although the website does say there are limited tickets in Lock Upper at ?75 a pop for day 4. Personally I think its pretty bad that you can now pre-book day 5 tickets, something that you never used to be able to do until recently.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
A decent place to sit at a cricket ground is side-on to the pitch. You might lose the ball in the background at times but you get to see a lot of the field.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Personally I think sitting square of the wicket is the worst place to watch from. (Believe me I watch a lot of live cricket). You cant see the line of the ball and you just won't see most deliveries from Pace bowlers. Ok The Oval is a pretty small ground so its better watching side on than at some grounds but you really do want to get as straight as you can and get high too. There's a reason the Members seats are always behind bowlers arms - It's the best view!

Sureshot

Executive member
I agree with Kev, side on is quite pointless unless you have 2-3 spinners and even then you can't tell the line of the bowler. It's okay if you want to 'judge' a players technique.

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Personally I think sitting square of the wicket is the worst place to watch from. (Believe me I watch a lot of live cricket). You cant see the line of the ball and you just won't see most deliveries from Pace bowlers. Ok The Oval is a pretty small ground so its better watching side on than at some grounds but you really do want to get as straight as you can and get high too. There's a reason the Members seats are always behind bowlers arms - It's the best view!

Man it's horror watching from the side at the G'!

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah as I said, that's why the TV is broadcast from behind the bowler.

sd92

International Coach
I think they should place small cameras, in the batsmans helmet, so that they can almost see what its like to face the ball from his eye view. That would be a good idea, and they sometimes do it in horseracing by putting cameras in the jockeys helmets, it makes a really good view at times.

Users who are viewing this thread