Draft: Best to never play Test cricket | Draft Part 2 underway...

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
For a wicketkeeper, I will take SAM BILLINGS. I'll be honest, I'm struggling right now to get time to research the players, so my picks may not be the best :)

1. John Langridge
  2. Charles Olivierre
  3. Frank Roro
  4. Jim Allen
  5. James Hildreth

6. Sam Billings (w)
  7. Lewis Gregory
  8. Stephen Jefferies
  9. Dirk Nannes
  10. Denys Hobson

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
2977116.jpg

:eng: :wk: Craig Kieswetter

First class stats
: 5,728 runs @ 39.23 (11 centuries, best 164) and 343 dismissals (331 ct, 12 st) in 115 matches

Jos Buttler is now a Lancashire player, and at the age of 29 has played 41 Test matches for England. Craig Kieswetter was a Somerset player, and at the age of 32 has played a dozen or so professional golf tournaments in the six years since his last county game. That sounds like a comparison with only one winner, but the only reason Jos Buttler became a Lancashire player is because Kieswetter was the far better red-ball cricketer, and comfortably kept him out of the County Championship team at Somerset. Given the rodeo that has since been the England Test wicket-keeping slot (as well as the England Test middle order) it seems impossible to imagine that, had he not suffered permanent damage to his eyesight from a freak injury while batting, he would have been anything other than a Test regular.

@Aislabie 's Second XI so far:
1. :aus: :bat: Charles Gregory (Pick #48)
2. :eng: :ar: John Barclay :c: (Pick #20)
4. :eng: :bat: David Sales (Pick #34)
5. :aus: :bat: Norman Callaway (Pick #7)
6. :uae: :ar: Khurram Khan (Pick #49)
7. :eng: :wk: Craig Kieswetter (Pick #59)
8. :afg: :bwl: Hamid Hassan (Pick #39)
9. :saf: :bwl: Vincent Barnes (Pick #25)
10. :aus: :bwl: Duncan Spencer (Pick #17)
11. :nzf: :bwl: Albert Moss (Pick #6)

@ahmedleo414

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
My next pick will be Jack Newman

53849.1.jpg

Stats|Matches|Runs|HS|:bat: Ave|100s/50s|Wkts|:bwl: Ave|BBI|5w/10w
First-Class |541|15,364|166*|21.57|10/69|2,054|25.02|9/131|134/35
His bio from cricinfo:

"John Alfred Newman, who died in a Cape Town hospital on December 27, aged 89, rendered splendid all-round service to Hampshire for 25 years. He began with them in 1906 and continued till 1930. In that time he hit 15,333 runs, including nine centuries, for an average of 21.65, took 2,032 wickets at 24.20 runs apiece and held 296 catches. This lean but wiry player performed the cricketers" double five times between 1921 and 1928, being first to do so-on July 31-in 1921.

For a number of years he and A. S. Kennedy virtually comprised the Hampshire bowling. Against Sussex in 1921 and in opposition to Somerset two years later, both at Portsmouth, the pair bowled unchanged through both innings. Newman, like Kennedy, of medium pace, could make the ball swing when it was new and afterwards turned to off-breaks of equally excellent length. He took 100 wickets in a season on eight occasions, his best year being 1921, when his victims numbered 177 at 21.56 runs each. He did the hat-trick against M. A. Noble"s Australian side at Southampton in 1909; dismissed three Sussex batsmen in the course of four balls at Hove in 1923 and at Weston-super-Mare against Somerset in 1927 obtained 16 wickets for 88 runs in the match. His best all-round feat was in 1926 when he hit 66 and 42 not out and took 14 Gloucestershire wickets for 148 runs. Next summer he scored 102 and 102 not out from the Surrey bowling at the Oval when Jack Hobbs also hit two separate hundreds in the same match-a rare double performance in those days.

In 1922 Newman was the central figure in an unhappy incident at Trent Bridge, where he refused to bowl while the crowd engaged in barracking. The Hampshire captain, the Hon. L. H. (later Lord) Tennyson ordered him from the field-upon which Newman kicked down the stumps, a most unusual display of petulance from a likeable man. He continued later after an apology.

For nine seasons after retiring as a player, Newman stood as a first-class umpire and then went to live in Cape Town, where he coached for a number of years."

My next pick will be Clement Gibson

No-Image-Found-400x264.png

Stats|Matches|Wkts|:bwl: Ave|BBI|5w/10w
First-Class |84|249|15.04|5/57|8/2
His bio from cricinfo:

"Clement Gibson will always be remembered for the part he played in helping MacLaren's XI to beat the Australians at Eastbourne in 1921. After failing to get a wicket in the first innings, he took six for 64 in the second, including the opening pair, Bardsley and Collins.

He had had a wonderful record at Eton, where in four years in the XI he had taken 122 wickets at an average of 10.50. He was Captain in 1918 and 1919 and in 1919 took six for 18 and three for 12 at Lord's. Later that summer he played a few times for Sussex. He was a member of the very strong Cambridge sides of 1920 and 1921, when he and C. S. Marriott were one of the most formidable pairs of bowlers either University has ever had and provided a perfect contrast. On coming down he went out to the Argentine, where he spent the rest of his life.

In the winter of 1922-3 Gibson was a member of MacLaren's side in Australia and New Zealand and, though his record does not look much, must have bowled well, as it is said to have been largely on MacLaren's recommendation that he was asked to go with the M.C.C. to Australia in 1924. This invitation he had to refuse, perhaps fortunately, as, when he was home for the summer in 1926 and played for Sussex, he met with little success, though he could still produce at times a good ball: at the Oval he clean bowled Hobbs with a beauty in each innings.

This was the end of his county cricket, but in 1932 he captained a South American side on a brief tour of England. With a good run up and a beautifully easy action, he bowled fast-medium, kept at his best a good length and made the ball swing very late. His best one would pitch on the leg stump and hit the off. He was also an extremely useful bat in the lower half of the order. Had he been able to continue regular first-class cricket after coming down, he would probably have taken a high place. Gibson was one of the Five Cricketers of the Year (schoolboys) in 1918."

Overall, I am very happy with my team.

ahmedleo414 XI:
  1. :eng: :bat: Alan Jones
  2. :ind: :bat: Rajeev Nayyar
  3. :sco: :bat: James Aitchison
  4. :ire: :ar: Andre Botha
  5. :nam: :ar: Gerrie Snyman
  6. :saf: :wkb: Nic Pothas
  7. :eng: :ar: Jack Newman
  8. :can:/:eng: :ar: Walter Wright
  9. :can: :ar: Basil Robinson
  10. :pak: :bwl: Iqbal Sikander
  11. :arg: :bwl: Clement Gibson
@Aislabie to finish out his team

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Sorry, as I'm really struggling timewise right now to research this properly, I'll just go ahead and grab Sam Northeast.

I'm sure there's better options out there, but I'm too busy to check :lol

However, Northeast is definitely unlucky not to have had a go, when you think of those who have. And given he didn't make the 55-man list for this summer, I guess he never will.

1. John Langridge
  2. Charles Olivierre
  3. Frank Roro (C)
  4. Jim Allen
  5. James Hildreth
  6. SAM NORTHEAST
  7. Sam Billings (w)
  8. Lewis Gregory
  9. Stephen Jefferies
  10. Dirk Nannes
  11. Denys Hobson

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
upload_2020-6-6_18-28-22.png

:hkg: :bat: Babar Hayat

First class stats
: 712 runs @ 71.20 (3 centuries, best 214*) in 6 matches

Perhaps a bit of a rogue selection, but Babar Hayat's double hundred against Papua New Guinea was an outrageous innings statistically. In that match, he managed an unbeaten 214 from 421 balls; the entire rest of both teams' combined managed 404 runs for the loss of 30 wickets between them. The entire rest of the Hong Kong team managed 111 all out between them, and they still managed to win by an innings and 29 runs. Hayat's innings was very very special.

@Aislabie 's Second XI so far:
1. :aus: :bat: Charles Gregory (Pick #48)
2. :eng: :ar: John Barclay :c: (Pick #20)
3. :hkg: :bat: Babar Hayat (Pick #62)
4. :eng: :bat: David Sales (Pick #34)
5. :aus: :bat: Norman Callaway (Pick #7)
6. :uae: :ar: Khurram Khan (Pick #49)
7. :eng: :wk: Craig Kieswetter (Pick #59)
8. :afg: :bwl: Hamid Hassan (Pick #39)
9. :saf: :bwl: Vincent Barnes (Pick #25)
10. :aus: :bwl: Duncan Spencer (Pick #17)
11. :nzf: :bwl: Albert Moss (Pick #6)

Users who are viewing this thread