Blast to the Past - 1st ODI Australia v England, celebrating 40 years

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The lone ODI that will be used to decide both teams WC squad. Australia have named their 11:

1 Shane Watson, 2 Brad Haddin (wk), 3 Michael Clarke, 4 Cameron White, 5 David Hussey, 6 Michael Hussey, 7 Steven Smith, 8 Brett Lee, 9 Xavier Doherty, 10 Doug Bollinger, 11 Shaun Tait.

So Siddle, Hauritz and Johnson can book their tickets to the World Cup having being rested for this match.

England (probable) 1 Andrew Strauss, 2 Steven Davies (wk), 3 Ian Bell, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Paul Collingwood, 6 Eoin Morgan, 7 Michael Yardy, 8 Tim Bresnan, 9 Graeme Swann, 10 Chris Woakes, 11 Ajmal Shahzad.

Australia v England, 1st ODI: World Cup places up for grabs | Cricket News | Australia v England | ESPN Cricinfo

Highlander999

ICC President
I was looking at the likely England XI on cricinfo and I noticed Trott wasn't there. Now I know he is a scrappy player, but he is in superb form and I would like to see how he would do at 3, so how would people feel about this batting line-up?

Strauss
Davies
Trott
Bell
KP
Morgan
Yardy

I feel whilst KP is certainly a brilliant player, having him at 5 would give the middle order a really explosive edge when combined with Morgan, plus the fact that Collingwood is in terrible form at the moment.

Feel free to pick apart :p

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I don't think we'll drop Collingwood and we shouldn't either. He may not be in form in Test cricket, but ODIs are a different beast, so would be harsh to drop him for me. I don't like Trott and Bell together in that middle order, but I think the selectors do. Personally, I'd leave out Bell, seeing as he isn't going to open, but that's obviously unlikely with his form.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
This is a big surprise: Paul Collingwood has been dropped. I think that Bell will replace him. I've got a feeling he is dropped, so others can claim their World Cup spot.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Well this will be fun if one of our frontline bowlers gets carted. :facepalm

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Davies was finally caught, but it was of a no ball and England also gets a free hit. I thought he was gone as well.

Just wondering: did England review this or did the umpires ask themselves about it and referred it to third umpire?

England really profited from that free hit by hitting a four.

Also Bell's inclusion is going to lower Morgan's batting position. Morgan is a decent middle order batsman and doesn't deserve to come at number 6 or even later.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Lolstralia. Why didn't Lee play in the Test series? Fitness issues?

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Shows how long I've been out of the game. Didn't he retire due to getting picked a lot less?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Lee just bowled another no ball off that wide appeal. A few balls before he was miles behind the crease.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I really didn't expect to see Chewbacca at the MCG. :lol

Davies is really making use of the powerplays by hitting over the fielders.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Dussey gets the breakthrough we needed. Not looking good for Watson though, hes looking very easy to get away so far. Might well be a spinners pitch.

ferg512

International Coach
This has been a pretty awful start from the Aussies. I'm surprised Lee only bowled the 4 overs at the start he only went for 19 which is alright.

Users who are viewing this thread