Blast to the Past - 1st ODI Australia v England, celebrating 40 years

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Geez shocking over by Bresnan so far, I now see why the English fans don't rate him.

It's the inconsistency which is frustrating, Sly. You can see he bowls some really good yorkers at times, but he is pretty naff with the new ball. He's in Broad's spot imo.

Today's key point was Trott dropping Watson in the 30s. We should've got another 30-40 runs, but most of the batsman gave their wickets away, but we still got nigh on 300 which produced a competitive target. I was very impressed with Shahzad, I think he's got a big future and his style could be important in the World Cup. Really good to see KP get the runs as well.

Australia deserved that though, Watson with one of the best ODI innings you'll see, even if they were very sloppy in the field. I don't think England should be too disheartened though, we weren't far off winning it, and we do have our two best ODI bowlers out. I don't see them dropping Bresnan for the WC, but my three seamers is starting to feel like Shahzad, Anderson and Broad for the WC.

Yardy needs some performances, Tredwell could come in, he's a very solid batsman, Patel would be even better with the bat, but I think that's unlikely.

Mind you, 6 ODI's to go, but the squad news on Weds will be interesting. 7-match series give us the chance to play Tredwell, but take 3 spinners to the WC? I think that's a good option, I don't think Finn makes the cut. Bring Broad in for Finn and I'd take this squad.

Playing well, just not clinical enough, like in the T20s.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Yardy needs some performances, Tredwell could come in, he's a very solid batsman, Patel would be even better with the bat, but I think that's unlikely.

Tredwell a very solid batsman?. Um no. All of Yardy, Swann, Broad, Bresnan are better bats than him. So bringing him wont solve the Yardy batting problem - plus his bowling is crap, overall he shouldn't be near to the ODI team at all,

If anyone should replace Yardy is Patel (as u said) or Blackwell. Preferably Blackwell, but its too late now.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Firstly England need to stop comparing Davies to Gilchrist. He is totally nothing like the great man. In his international career to date, when Davies get going its not even quicker than when Strauss gets going.

The real dasher like Gilchrist is Kieswetter & i still prefer to have him opening instead of Davies

I don't see how you can be so harsh on Davies after he's just whacked 42 from 35. Additionally he is a better keeper. Atop of that Davies has scored his runs in ODI cricket quicker than Kieswetter, who was pretty awful when he was in the England team last year.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I'd say Davies is more like Gilchrist personally. Sure, he's not as good and not as used to getting big scores, but he goes out there to take advantage of the powerplay overs. Whereas I think Kieswetter is a batsman who looks to just bat. Sure he gets runs at a good rate, but that's because he's naturally aggressive. Whereas I think England want him to just slog, which isn't his natural game. Kieswetter is more like Trescothick for me, in that he'll score aggressively, naturally and can still get big scores, but may get bogged down every now and again, when people expect him to score at more than 100 every time he goes out there.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Just noticed our next ODI is on Friday, they really should have got one in on Tuesday like they usually do.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Main problem is we missed a chance to have another look at our players before the WC.

Exactly, its expected that our WC squad will be announced way before friday. We need Aaron Finch :( I really caanot believe Marsh and Fergie has been dropped, just because they are not allrounders. Fergie deserved the spot :mad

Sureshot

Executive member
I'd say Davies is more like Gilchrist personally. Sure, he's not as good and not as used to getting big scores, but he goes out there to take advantage of the powerplay overs. Whereas I think Kieswetter is a batsman who looks to just bat. Sure he gets runs at a good rate, but that's because he's naturally aggressive. Whereas I think England want him to just slog, which isn't his natural game. Kieswetter is more like Trescothick for me, in that he'll score aggressively, naturally and can still get big scores, but may get bogged down every now and again, when people expect him to score at more than 100 every time he goes out there.

I think Davies has more shots he can use to get himself out of trouble. With a bit of work, he could be a good ODI opener. In any case, if he doesn't make it to the WC, it'll be Prior.

Params7

International Cricketer
this is a total knee jerk reaction, but Watson looks way more of a leader than michael clarke. and I mean looks not because of numbers or stats, he grimaces, motivates, gets riled up, contributes to every discipline.

watson for captain, even if he eventually does drop down the order in tests, hell that gives him less batting responsibility to focus on captaincy.

Eh, it was a brilliant knock from Watto but I don't think he'll ever be Captain material. Not to take anything away from his knock, but he was lucky on a couple of occasions, specially the part where he tried to get a 3rd consecutive 6 in Yardy's over but landed right in the middle of the fielders. He's his own man when he plays and he's already giving a lot to the team with his opening and bowling.

midgetwars

Club Captain
Why would anyone consider giving watson the captain's curse. We saw it happen with White.

Once again, England crumbling with Pressure.

Why isn't ferguson in the team?? Finch and Marsh should play as well.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Absolutely brilliant game of ODI cricket last night. To me, the beat up that one day cricket is dead is just from the media. Sure crowds aren't as high in this format but it is still great to watch.

After Watson hit the six to win I said he lived the boyhood dream. His knock was one of the best OD innings I've seen. It was superb. Glad to see he finally got a 100 this season.

Users who are viewing this thread