Boundary ratio during a test match

dudsyyy

School Cricketer
Hi all, long time lurker of the forum. I got 22 at the weekend and I'm enjoying it. However I feel like i've either not got sliders set correctly, or there is a bug in the game.

The summation of the bug is that the AI are hitting a high ratio of boundaries compared to any other scoring shot. I've attached a link where you can see the innings of various aussie batsman. If you look at steve smith, his scoring areas show 39 on the on-side. and if you look at his big wheel, the shots in that area are all 4s. (it doesnt actually show all his 4s which is probably another bug).

Even pat cummins has scored mainly 4s.

i have been playing again tonight on test match, and changing the RunRate slider a few times to see the impact. I have noticed the following:

If you set the Run Rate to less than 10 on the slider, the batters become very defensive and barely look to run.
If the slider is set to 10+, the batters will happily defend for 5 balls an over and wont even look to score, but at least once an over will try and score a boundary (and usually succeed, they dont play and miss often). It seems to me that the AI has to hit the boundary to keep it's own RunRate correct. It is really really hard to get a maiden with the AI like this.

I have also noticed that if the RunRate is set to 50 (default), the batters wil score a few more singles and 2s. And will look to play more. however the number of boundaries are still really really high and far exceed any other scoring shot.

Screenshots found here on dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4wvcqv1wshxsnsy/AADCmGtgwMHQJrKuVgN5jCGva?dl=0

has anyone else noticed this issue? thanks

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
You're not the first to notice this.

In cricket 19 you'd bowl a solid over but almost without fail a boundary would come. Always felt very scripted.

Little Timmy

Little Timmy
Profile Flag
England
Hi all, long time lurker of the forum. I got 22 at the weekend and I'm enjoying it. However I feel like i've either not got sliders set correctly, or there is a bug in the game.

The summation of the bug is that the AI are hitting a high ratio of boundaries compared to any other scoring shot. I've attached a link where you can see the innings of various aussie batsman. If you look at steve smith, his scoring areas show 39 on the on-side. and if you look at his big wheel, the shots in that area are all 4s. (it doesnt actually show all his 4s which is probably another bug).

Even pat cummins has scored mainly 4s.

i have been playing again tonight on test match, and changing the RunRate slider a few times to see the impact. I have noticed the following:

If you set the Run Rate to less than 10 on the slider, the batters become very defensive and barely look to run.
If the slider is set to 10+, the batters will happily defend for 5 balls an over and wont even look to score, but at least once an over will try and score a boundary (and usually succeed, they dont play and miss often). It seems to me that the AI has to hit the boundary to keep it's own RunRate correct. It is really really hard to get a maiden with the AI like this.

I have also noticed that if the RunRate is set to 50 (default), the batters wil score a few more singles and 2s. And will look to play more. however the number of boundaries are still really really high and far exceed any other scoring shot.

Screenshots found here on dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4wvcqv1wshxsnsy/AADCmGtgwMHQJrKuVgN5jCGva?dl=0

has anyone else noticed this issue? thanks

The opposing side definitely score a high proportion of boundaries but it doesn’t always seem to be due to aggressiveness. The size of the grounds just feel small and weird to me compared with previous games, although maybe it’s to do with the pace of the ball. I’m only just playing my first Test and in the opposition’s second innings the fifth ball, sometimes sixth went to the boundary on an alarming number of consecutive overs. It’s been far more pronounced in the second innings.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England

TrailerHub

Club Cricketer
This is the one thing I am finding really frustrating at the moment. I can be bowling a nice patient line outside off stump and AI will always manage to pull one away to the leg side for 4 every over.

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
Just find a place to give them an easy one and you'll have much better game play.
This. Ive taken to moving my backward square leg to deep backward square leg, or mid on to deep mid on, so when the AI goes into "i will score runs on this next ball no matter what you bowl" mode, its often just a single out to the deep men and not always the obligatory boundary.

Ive bowled 10 overs with Jimmy in my latest test match, and 5 of those are maidens - so it can be done with the right settings and release valves.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
This. Ive taken to moving my backward square leg to deep backward square leg, or mid on to deep mid on, so when the AI goes into "i will score runs on this next ball no matter what you bowl" mode, its often just a single out to the deep men and not always the obligatory boundary.

Ive bowled 10 overs with Jimmy in my latest test match, and 5 of those are maidens - so it can be done with the right settings and release valves.

Ken knows ;)

ChrisCricket

Associate Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I just turned down the AI desired run rate from 50 to 45, might even go 40 just to make sure they start defending little more, just a touch too aggressive, fine for an ODI, a touch over agreessive for Test cricket though

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
Still too much @ChrisCricket , lots of testing has shown me that 20 is a touch high with maidens tough to come by, 18 is just right, and that doesnt artificially limit scoring, ive had days where the AI scores at 2.8, others 3.6 - the range 18 gets them to sit in seems just right.

ChrisCricket

Associate Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Still too much @ChrisCricket , lots of testing has shown me that 20 is a touch high with maidens tough to come by, 18 is just right, and that doesnt artificially limit scoring, ive had days where the AI scores at 2.8, others 3.6 - the range 18 gets them to sit in seems just right.

Thanks for the tip buddy, I might adjust mine to that level. I just need to sort out my bowling, with the bat earlier I was scoring pretty well playing nice range of shots, but just need to get my bowling back up to speed. Some good balls but I wasnt consistent and crossed the no ball line a lot.

Thanks for this tip though could prove very important, what do you have the AI Wicket Loss slider set at by the way? I kinda have a custom difficulty set up called Hard Medium which is getting closer all the time to being just right.

Users who are viewing this thread