Problem: Bowling Experience in the Next Version

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
i think the key point however is that AI especially in how it bats must be the priority improvement.

from that you get better bowling experience, better career batting partners so you've improved gameplay in every mode.

For me DBC 14 is like a Ferrari without an engine, (or with one that only goes one speed). It's perfect except for in my opinion the most vital cog.

I'm not sure whether this has been raised, but I'd love a game that we can mod heavily. That way if the AI experience doesn't suit us, we can change it. Default fields, timing settings, ball speeds.. Let's face it, you are never going to make a game that gives everyone a perfect test match, because people play differently. So let us play around with everything.

The argument against modding is that it can nullify the need for a following iteration. To that I say look at SCS, who have managed to get tens of thousands of people driving virtual trucks around Europe with mod friendly mapping and AI, trucking is in, people are trucking on Twitch and on Steam and people are foaming at the mouth for their next iteration.

grkrama

National Board President
The reason modding values weren't exposed was that in this iteration it would mean exposing their core scripts as that is were the values are stored which if not tread carefully can break the game as well open up cheats on online stuff. Im sure going to next iteration they either go with a user friendly slider approach so that console gamers also get the benefit of tweaking to their taste as well for more hardcore modders on PC these values can be made into a config markup file or something and be exposed safely.

Also i would like to see online as a separate executable like it happens in games nowadays cause that will make sure people can do whatever they want with the single player module.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
The reason modding values weren't exposed was that in this iteration it would mean exposing their core scripts as that is were the values are stored which if not tread carefully can break the game as well open up cheats on online stuff. Im sure going to next iteration they either go with a user friendly slider approach so that console gamers also get the benefit of tweaking to their taste as well for more hardcore modders on PC these values can be made into a config markup file or something and be exposed safely.

Also i would like to see online as a separate executable like it happens in games nowadays cause that will make sure people can do whatever they want with the single player module.
Yeah thats would be good..

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
That would be great idea. I never touch online, and I find it annoying that offline gameplay has to suffer to cater for online fairness. On the other hand, someone who only plays online wouldn't give two hoots about the AI batting for example.

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
Like me.

Ive played offline for about a week at Game Launch . Since then I`m only Online . So all this talk and focus of the AI blah blah blah , is like you said of no use to our Online Only bunch .

Thats why every now and again when someone proclaims that thats the only thing that should be fixed , that I need to come and explain that there is a whole bunch of people that cares about the Online experience as well , so they cannot only look at the Offline stuff .

Online is where a game`s longevity normally shines through.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Like me.

Ive played offline for about a week at Game Launch . Since then I`m only Online . So all this talk and focus of the AI blah blah blah , is like you said of no use to our Online Only bunch .

Thats why every now and again when someone proclaims that thats the only thing that should be fixed , that I need to come and explain that there is a whole bunch of people that cares about the Online experience as well , so they cannot only look at the Offline stuff .

It's also the area where a vast minority of the game's players play.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Like me.

Well start a thread where you can discuss how online can be improved, instead of bitchin'. The fact of the matter is that the AI is where DBC14 has been let down massively. Far more than any other area of the game.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Can we please not derail this thread any further, thanks!

I second @grkrama's slider proposal; but I've already talked enough about those so I'm not going to any further

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Another big factor that will improve the bowling experience is an increase in edges. This statement, as everyone knows is nothing new.

Now speaking as someone who only really watches Test matches it's not unusual for there to be 10+ edges in an innings. Some won't carry (softer wickets), some will fly over the slips to the boundary (harder wickets), a couple will be just wide of or go between the slips, 1 or 2 may be dropped or just clip the fingers of the slip catcher or keeper diving to his side, and generally 4/5 will be taken, sometimes more.

So the game really needs to represent this. Edges are currently there but they just need increasing and more variance. If feel there is currently a very subtle difference between the new ball and bowling with an older ball, but it needs to be made more noticeable.

Top edges need to be added, In the thousands of overs I have bowled, I have never seen a genuine top edge from a pull shot or a sweep go straight up in the air.

Added to this, better physics in regards to the ball hitting or clipping the batsman, either on the body, pad or gloves, it would be great if the game could be at a level where you would hear a sound but not be entirely sure whether it was an edge, or it had clipped the pad or the batman's arm on the way past.

Hopefully the improved physics in this regards would lead to more bat-pad chances from spin bowling.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Another big factor that will improve the bowling experience is an increase in edges. This statement, as everyone knows is nothing new.

Now speaking as someone who only really watches Test matches it's not unusual for there to be 10+ edges in an innings. Some won't carry (softer wickets), some will fly over the slips to the boundary (harder wickets), a couple will be just wide of or go between the slips, 1 or 2 may be dropped or just clip the fingers of the slip catcher or keeper diving to his side, and generally 4/5 will be taken, sometimes more.

So the game really needs to represent this. Edges are currently there but they just need increasing and more variance. If feel there is currently a very subtle difference between the new ball and bowling with an older ball, but it needs to be made more noticeable.

Top edges need to be added, In the thousands of overs I have bowled, I have never seen a genuine top edge from a pull shot or a sweep go straight up in the air.

Added to this, better physics in regards to the ball hitting or clipping the batsman, either on the body, pad or gloves, it would be great if the game could be at a level where you would hear a sound but not be entirely sure whether it was an edge, or it had clipped the pad or the batman's arm on the way past.

Hopefully the improved physics in this regards would lead to more bat-pad chances from spin bowling.
IMO and the no.of hours put in the game I feel that BA have not used the ball physics on shots in the air well at all, Mistimed shots just put a break in the air when in reality mistimed shot can pass the fielder over him or go to the fielder or even fall short..The speed of the bat, impact on the bat, timing, foot position and bat position all should be taken into consideration...

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
IMO and the no.of hours put in the game I feel that BA have not used the ball physics on shots in the air well at all, Mistimed shots just put a break in the air when in reality mistimed shot can pass the fielder over him or go to the fielder or even fall short..The speed of the bat, impact on the bat, timing, foot position and bat position all should be taken into consideration...

Completely agree

Users who are viewing this thread