Bowling tips

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
I'm seriously struggling n on the verge of giving up..I'm playing the second Ashes test and Australia have made 550-4 Dec and second innings 403-1..this match is going to be a draw because the stupid AI is 549 in front and still batting on the 5th day..I love cricket but this game is just as frustrating as DB17. The amount of overthrow's that happens is laughable[DOUBLEPOST=1520634181][/DOUBLEPOST]
Classic..same as previous game
Weird I hardly get any overthrows.....

I lost the second test playing as england by 9 wickets, won the first test though. also played ashes series as australia lost the tests 4-1 to the AI :(

tarrantino

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Ok @N Jones put some context in your bowling. What are you doing through your overs? Now I’m no expert but I’ve significantly improved overnight my last 3 innings, and I was in exact same position as you. Medium Medium and then AI on Pro.

This could be a pitch element and it might just be a draw. I had that in Adelaide too it was a poor pitch to bowl on and got a draw.

Last edited:

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Here's a fun one I wanted to throw out there:

Got Steve Smith's wicket yesterday, which was a standard delivery with a ball that was just about ready to reverse. That ball didn't swing though, just did a touch off the pitch to find the edge.

I also then included his wagon wheel, which shows just how many times he thrashed me through point and third man. Just so happened this one time, it cost him his wicket when he went to drive me.

Then I included the partnership screen. I was absolutely demolishing Australia, then this partnership just stone walked me. To add context, they were all out for 227, so I ran through them after this as well.

Point is, sometimes stuff works, sometimes though, it just won't. I bowled pretty consistently in the innings, and Smith and Paine put on 93. The other 9 wickets went down for about 135 combined. Didn't really change much when I got wickets to when I didn't, apart from to try a few different things when I couldn't get anyone out.

So as an addition to the post I put up a while ago, this seemed like a good point to add. Sometimes, batters are just good. And it isn't you that is doing something wrong :)

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I think often the game just rewards the new ball way more. After about 30 overs, sometimes even a batter with stats of about 20 could make runs. Especially because spinners rarely dominate. Subtle variations are very useful and much easier to control, especially with swing. The batter will also catch on if they're getting the same ball. Sometimes a batter will edge a ball with a straight seam. I think bat-pad is really handy in this game. Also, flipping the seam is huge, as mentioned earlier in this thread. This might be your biggest tip. "Upside down" balls will skid and sometimes sneak through the batsman's strokes. It's often essential if you want a ball to hit the stumps.

I would agree with all this and also plays into the post that I just made 100%.

Smith and Paine started their partnership when the ball was 31 overs old and I'd taken 5 wickets cheaply. They lasted from the 31st over to the 60th over. At which point the ball was old enough to reverse again, wickets once again fell quickly and I bowled 4 overs with the new ball to get the job done.

Those overs, 25/30-55/60, give or take, are a batting paradise. Nailed on.

The rest of the points are all valid as well in my opinion. Apart from the bat pad, I've never found much use in one at all. They seem to flinch at every shot that comes their way, but I'd be interested to know your thoughts and how you use them.

N Jones

Club Captain
Ok @N Jones put some context in your bowling. What are you doing through your overs? Now I’m no expert but I’ve significantly improved overnight my last 3 innings, and I was in exact same position as you. Medium Medium and then AI on Pro.

This could be a pitch element and it might just be a draw. I had that in Adelaide too it was a poor pitch to bowl on and got a draw.
This is what I do to bowl.
Left stick..choose delivery..out swinger etc etc
Then choose length with buttons
As bowler runs in I touch L1 R1 to add or decrease length while holding either R2 for more pace or L2 for slower pace
I also use off and leg cutters plus cross seam
Thets basically it..where am I going wrong. Thanks for your help

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
This is what I do to bowl.
Left stick..choose delivery..out swinger etc etc
Then choose length with buttons
As bowler runs in I touch L1 R1 to add or decrease length while holding either R2 for more pace or L2 for slower pace
I also use off and leg cutters plus cross seam
Thets basically it..where am I going wrong. Thanks for your help

For one touching L1 R1 while bowler runs in does nothing, you must hold L1 or R1 when you select a length to bowl (ie a short ball L1+circle - for a different length short ball) etc....

also you can change length by releasing ball earlier or later --- right stick at different times...

tarrantino

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
@N Jones what length are you using? I would keep the length fairly consistent as @Rumple43 has suggested before as the Australian pitches are hard you’re better off keeping the length full.

So this is how I go through my overs in Australia. My stock delivery is a full length standard delivery. I’ll change the seam angle each time normally 1 or 2 o’clock. Sometimes I’ll keep it straight and then other times I’ll place it 3 4 or 5 o’clock or 7,8 or 9. I bowl just outside of off stump and use aggressive field 3 but move second slip to point. I will change the pace holding the triggers down at different lengths of time and the same for the length adjustment. Sometimes a little bit or sometimes loads. I mix them all up and different combos. So a fuller faster or fuller slower. This just creates the subtle hints needed to confuse the batsman.

Then once an over I’ll throw an in-swinger to land on the stumps or an out swinger that pitched in line and then swings away to catch an edge. Sometimes the in swinger I place outside of off as it will create an edge. I tend to slow the pace of the ball for inswingers as this gets it mov8ng a bit more.

I will sometimes then throw an in swinging Yorker as well near the end of an over.

I hardly use a cutter maybe once every 5 overs. A bouncer or a cross seam delivery but I’ll throw one down every 10 overs or so.

Just use 3 or 4 over stints for the bowlers.

As for spin I again mix it up but I have a lot less success. I again change the delivery’s around.

He’d over to the upload page as I have my second Innings just posted to watch.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
So this is how I go through my overs in Australia. My stock delivery is a full length standard delivery.

Interesting one. I try to keep the ball full to bring the stumps into play, but sometimes I prefer a normal length to give more distance between the ball pitching and reaching the bat, that's come into my thinking recently. If the pitch is doing a bit and offering seam movement, I'll cut down on fuller balls and go normal a bit more to try and get an edge. No wrong answers here though I reckon, just offering a thought.

I bowl just outside of off stump and use aggressive field 3 but move second slip to point.

Interesting. I always have a point but like to move out 1st slip if anything, and keep 2nd. I figure my keeper can dive to cover 1st, and 2nd can always dive the other way.

I will sometimes then throw an in swinging Yorker as well near the end of an over.

I find the CPU scores at will off Yorkers so I'm glad someone is finding success. I can never get them to be effective. I also never have anyone behind square on the leg side, and fine leg is the prime place the AI hits my Yorkers.

I hardly use a cutter maybe once every 5 overs. A bouncer or a cross seam delivery but I’ll throw one down every 10 overs or so.

Now I use cutters much more frequently, but I use them as bouncers. I find the AI plays some really dodgy shots to short balls, slashing to the slips or gully, or making a hash of a pull to leg. So I bowl a cutter with short length and modified to be as short as possible, then make sure it's fast to hurry the batsmen. Dunno why I do that instead of just bowling a normal bouncer, but I tell myself the movement helps.

As for spin I again mix it up but I have a lot less success. I again change the delivery’s around.

I just try to be consistent. Majority of my balls being the stock ball as my field will be set to that. I try to bowl to a plan, so turn the ball to leg and pack the leg side for example, and if I do that then give balls that go the other way, I have few fielders on the off side. That's about it though.

Sorry if that all sounds like a critique, apologies if so. I always enjoy hearing how others play and what works for them. The sharing of experiences and views is always appreciated, so thanks!

Last edited:

tarrantino

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
@Rumple43 no not at all it is interesting to hear how others work and what works for them. Maybe with the spin I need to take that same approach and stick with top spin and throw an arm ball or something like that in, rather than a selection of deliveries through the over.

I do find the CPU can knock a 4 or a 6 of course but I managed a wicket or 2 recently off the inswinging Yorker. I think because I was so far ahead in the match I used slightly more than a one off.

N Jones

Club Captain
For one touching L1 R1 while bowler runs in does nothing, you must hold L1 or R1 when you select a length to bowl (ie a short ball L1+circle - for a different length short ball) etc....

also you can change length by releasing ball earlier or later --- right stick at different times...
When do I let go of L1 R1..when I've made my choice or as I deliver the ball..? Obviously I'm holding R2 for more pace and I release that at point of delivery

N Jones

Club Captain
Interesting one. I try to keep the ball full to bring the stumps into play, but sometimes I prefer a normal length to give more distance between the ball pitching and reaching the bat, that's come into my thinking recently. If the pitch is doing a bit and offering seam movement, I'll cut down on fuller balls and go normal a bit more to try and get an edge. No wrong answers here though I reckon, just offering a thought.

Interesting. I always have a point but like to move out 1st slip if anything, and keep 2nd. I figure my keeper can dive to cover 1st, and 2nd can always dive the other way.

I find the CPU scores at will off Yorkers so I'm glad someone is finding success. I can never get them to be effective. I also never have anyone behind square on the leg side, and fine leg is the prime place the AI hits my Yorkers.

Now I use cutters much more frequently, but I use them as bouncers. I find the AI plays some really dodgy shots to short balls, slashing to the slips or gully, or making a hash of a pull to leg. So I bowl a cutter with short length and modified to be as short as possible, then make sure it's fast to hurry the batsmen. Dunno why I do that instead of just bowling a normal bouncer, but I tell myself the movement helps.

I just try to be consistent. Majority of my balls being the stock ball as my field will be set to that. I try to bowl to a plan, so turn the ball to leg and pack the leg side for example, and if I do that then give balls that go the other way, I have few fielders on the off side. That's about it though.

Sorry if that all sounds like a critique, apologies if so. I always enjoy hearing how others play and what works for them. The sharing of experiences and views is always appreciated, so thanks!
Any advice for me is really appreciated because up till now nothing has worked

N Jones

Club Captain
Any advice for me is really appreciated because up till now nothing has worked
I shall definitely try all your tips in the 3rd test as I'm now batting out 63 overs to get a draw in the second..I've not really taken much notice of pitch conditions up till now

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
So that's holding say R1 AND R2 until i release ball. .sounds tricky but I've tried everything else lol...thanks
no when picking the length u either do buttons only, OR R1, L1+button for length, once length is selected you carry on running holding R2 or L2 if you wish

Users who are viewing this thread