Draft: Budget Draft: ODI Nations

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
I'm going to attempt to do this while using as little of the 3-point nation picks as possible.

My first pick is the wicketkeeper, and I'm going with one of the most underrated keepers in my memory. That would be Tatenda Taibu from Zimbabwe. As a pure keeper, he's agile, effective, and I liked to see him behind the wicket. A batting average of 30ish and a strike rate of two-thirds of a hundred for what I consider to be a classic-type wicketkeeper, and not a wicketkeeper-batsman, it's more than adequate considering that he's coming in lower down the order. The trials, tribulations, and ultimately the dropping of Zimbabwe from the Test arena effectively forced him to cut both his Test and ODI career short, but with his last ODI coming in 2012 when he would have been...what...37 minus...carry the one...divide by zero...he'd have been just round about 29 when he played his last ODI. With everything surrounding Zimbabwe cricket at the time, one wonders where his career could have gone had things been better in his country. I know he retired to pursue working in a religious role, and I respect that, but there was always a big "what if" from me.

I remember his IPL debut, even, when he wasn't even on the field as a keeper but took a blinder at extra cover and later ran out a batsman with a direct hit from that same position.

7. Tatenda Taibu

Minus 2 points.

Points available - 23

@Yash.

(EDIT: Yash gets the alert if I tag him like that, right?)

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
My first pick would be Ryan Ten Doeschate

Ryan+Ten+Doeschate+Bangladesh+v+Netherlands+Nj_yRkYbjN8l.jpg

Statistics
ODI - 1541 runs @ 67.00 (5 centuries, Best 119) and 55 wickets @ 24.12 (BBI 4/31) in 33 Matches
List A - 6053 runs @ 45.17 (11 centuries, Best 180) and 174 wickets @ 30.21 (1 5WI, BBI 5/50) in 225 Matches

The minute I signed up for this draft, I had my eyes one him. One of the best ever One Day cricketers from Associate nations, and already an Essex legend, Tendo would be giving me two players at the price of 1 (and that too only 2 points). Will play no. 4 in my team and would bowl during the middle overs.

@Akshay.

And @qpeedore The tags do send alerts. (Although they do only if you type them afresh and not copy paste them)

Akshay.

National Board President
India
Mumbai Indians
Champions League Winner
Profile Flag
India
EM.jpg
Statistics
ODI - 7368 runs @ 39.40 (13 hundreds, 46 fifties, Highest 148) in 236 Matches
List A - 11321 runs @ 38.90 (21 hundreds, 67 fifties, Highest 161) in 367 Matches

I am picking a player who has played the most number of ODIs for England along with the highest run scorer for England in ODIs, the World Cup 2019 winning captain, Eoin Morgan.
Though I am not picking him from England, he would be picked from Ireland, for whom he appeared in 23 matches until 2009. He would cost me 2 points. At the moment he will bat at 5, might change later

@Akshay. XI
5. :ire: :bat: Eoin Morgan

Points used 2/25

@Bevab your turn

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
My first pick will be the very obvious choice of :afg::ar:Rashid Khan, one of the best wrist-spinners in the world today. Despite his poor showing in the World Cup, Rashid's record versus Asian teams and West Indies is actually quite good in itself and would mean that even if he hasn't done enough to merit legendary status yet despite his overall stats, he is without doubt a world class performer playing in a weak team. For the cost of two points, this choice is a straightforward one.

@ahmedleo414 with a double pick next.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
My first pick goes to Steve Tikolo

3f567-15609453308637-500.jpg

Stats|Matches|Runs|HS|:bat: Ave|100s/50s|Wkts|BBM|:bwl: Ave|Econ|5w/10w
List-A |213|6,105|133|33.00|7/40|168|4/18|37.18|4.65|0/0
ODI |135|3,428|111|29.05|3/24|94|4/41|34.20|4.80|0/0
Here is his bio from cricinfo:

"It is a measure of his ability and standing that in many people's eyes Steve Tikolo has epitomised Kenyan cricket for more than a decade. His whole approach to the game has a Caribbean flavour to it. A middle-order batsman who relies on his eye as much as technique and who can attack or defend as the situation demands, he possesses a wide range of strokes, but when he is in full flow he can be a punishing player at any level. His bowling has gone from being medium-pace to a Chris Gayle-like gentle offspin, seemingly innocuous but deceptively effective in the one-day game. It almost goes without saying that he had led Kenya in the post Maurice Odumbe era, and has done so by example.

Coming from a famous cricketing family (older brother Tom is a former national captain and another brother David played at the 1996 World Cup), he was immediately at home on the international stage, when Kenya made their World Cup debut in 1996. He made 65 in their first game, against India at Cuttack, top-scored with a vital 29 in their sensational low-scoring victory over West Indies at Pune, and contributed 96 against Sri Lanka at Kandy, establishing himself as his country's leading batsman. This was further shown when he made a destructive 147 against Bangladesh in the 1997 ICC Trophy final, taking Kenya to a second successive World Cup, and new ODI status.

He again performed well in the 1999 World Cup, with fifties against India and England, and on taking over the captaincy in 2002 he immediately underlined his class by scoring 93 and 69 in that year's Champions Trophy. While he had a personally disappointing start to the World Cup in 2003, he came good with the bat and his contributions with the ball and astute captaincy helped Kenya to reach the semi-finals.

This performance, aided by Tikolo's burgeoning reputation, led to calls for Kenya to be granted Test status, but those coincided with a rapid disintegration of the game inside the country as the KCA fell out with the stakeholders. After a wretched 2004 Champions Trophy, Tikolo quit as captain, weary from 18 months of battling his own board, and he was at the heart of a players' strike which followed and which, eventually, helped lead to the ousting of the old regime.

Under new management, he returned as captain, showing that his appetite and ability was undiminished. He failed to shine on a bigger stage in the Afro-Asia Cup, although his opportunities were cruelly limited, but continued to weigh in with bat and ball as Kenya returned to the international arena in 2006.

In a much-travelled career, he has played a considerable amount of club cricket in England as well as first-class cricket in South Africa (with Border) and Bangladesh.

Consistent performances led him to be shortlisted for the inaugural ICC Associate ODI Player of the Year in 2007."

My second pick goes to Sachin Tendulkar, may as well get this one out of the way

103135046-GettyImages-110022758.jpg

Stats|Matches|Runs|HS|:bat: Ave|100s/50s
List-A |551|21,999|200*|45.54|60/114
ODI |463|18,426|200*|44.83|49/96
Here is his bio from cricinfo:

"Sachin Tendulkar has been the most complete batsman of his time, the most prolific runmaker of all time, and arguably the biggest cricket icon the game has ever known. His batting was based on the purest principles: perfect balance, economy of movement, precision in stroke-making, and that intangible quality given only to geniuses - anticipation. If he didn't have a signature stroke - the upright, back-foot punch comes close - it's because he was equally proficient at each of the full range of orthodox shots (and plenty of improvised ones as well) and can pull them out at will.

There were no apparent weaknesses in Tendulkar's game. He could score all around the wicket, off both front foot and back, could tune his technique to suit every condition, temper his game to suit every situation, and made runs in all parts of the world in all conditions.

Some of his finest performances came against Australia, the overwhelmingly dominant team of his era. His century as a 19-year-old on a lightning-fast pitch at the WACA is considered one of the best innings ever to have been played in Australia. A few years later he received the ultimate compliment from the ultimate batsman: Don Bradman confided to his wife that Tendulkar reminded him of himself.

Blessed with the keenest of cricket minds, and armed with a loathing for losing, Tendulkar set about doing what it took to become one of the best batsmen in the world. His greatness was established early: he was only 16 when he made his Test debut. He was hit on the mouth by Waqar Younis but continued to bat, in a blood-soaked shirt. His first Test hundred, a match-saving one at Old Trafford, came when he was 17, and he had 16 Test hundreds before he turned 25. In 2000 he became the first batsman to have scored 50 international hundreds, in 2008 he passed Brian Lara as the leading Test run-scorer, and in the years after, he went past 13,000 Test runs 30,000 international runs, and 50 Test hundreds.

He currently holds the record for most hundreds in both Tests and ODIs - remarkable, considering he didn't score his first ODI hundred till his 79th match. Incredibly, he retained a divine enthusiasm for the game till his last match. At 36 years and 306 days he broke a 40-year-old barrier by scoring the first double-century in one-day cricket. In 2012, when just one month short of his 39th birthday, he became the first player to score 100 international centuries, which like Bradman's batting average, could be a mark that lasts for ever. Later that year, though, he announced his retirement from ODIs after a disappointing 18 months in international cricket. And on November 16, 2013, Tendulkar retired from Test cricket after a memorable 200th Test, on his home ground at the Wankhede Stadium against West Indies.

Tendulkar's considerable achievements seem greater still when looked at in the light of the burden of expectations he had to bear from his adoring but somewhat unreasonable followers, who have been prone to regard anything less than a hundred in each innings as a failure. The aura may have dimmed, if only slightly, as the years on the international circuit took their toll on the body, but Tendulkar remains, by a distance, the most worshipped cricketer in the world."

I think I have a pretty good start with my batting line-up with Sachin and Steve. Also, both my players initials are ST... so there's that too

My playing XI:
  1. ?
  2. :ind: :bat: Sachin Tendulkar (cost: 3)
  3. ?
  4. :ken: :ar: Steve Tikolo (cost: 2)
  5. ?
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?
  11. ?
Budget Used: 5/25

@Bevab you have the next pick

Bevab

Staff Member
My second pick will be :saf::wkb:AB de Villiers, the player who I regard as the closest anyone has come to matching Viv's feats in ODIs. There is little to say about his achievements that aren't already known. AbD will offer my side the luxury of someone who can construct an innings and see it through to the end by accelerating like few other players in history and is also capable of being the finisher who can take his team's total from above par to unassailable. Sometimes, he can do both roles as evidenced by his freak knock in the pink ODI versus West Indies where he arrived just before the start of the death overs, outscored his partner who had a century to his name and left with the record of the fastest ODI century of all-time. He remains the only batsman in history who averages above 50 and has a strike-rate above 100 in ODIs.

Incredibly enough, he averages 70 when he has donned the gloves and averages 63 at a far superior strike-rate whilst being the captain, two roles that most believe was holding him back. For now, he shall be my keeper.

Budget Used: 5/25

@Akshay. is up next.

Akshay.

National Board President
India
Mumbai Indians
Champions League Winner
Profile Flag
India
JK.jpg

:saf: :ar: Jacques Kallis

Statistics

ODI -
11579 runs @ 44.36 (17 hundreds, 86 fifties, Highest 139) and 273 wickets @ 31.79 (2 5W, BBI 5/30) in 328 Matches
List A - 14845 runs @ 43.53 (23 hundreds, 109 fifties, Highest 155) and 351 wickets @ 30.68 (3 5W, BBI 5/30) in 424 Matches

Actually at first I had decided not to pick 3-pointer till completing picking 2 and 1 point players, but could not resist picking him. One of the best all-rounders of the game, player with most runs in ODIs for South Africa along with 3rd most wickets for them, he had the ability to bat in top 3 as well as bowl in top 3.
He will bat at no. 3 and also opens up a spot for a lower order batsman in my XI.

3. :goldo: :saf: :ar: Jacques Kallis
5. :slvo: :ire: :bat: Eoin Morgan

Points used 5/25

@Yash. your turn

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
:saf: :wkb: AB de Villiers
It was too much to hope for that he'd last until my turn, but of the many batsmen I've so far looked at, AB was the second-best ODI top order batsman of all time.

The overall top four of those tested was:
4. :saf: AB de Villiers (top order, VARP: +82.14%)
3. <REDACTED> (middle order, VARP: +83.71%)
2. :wi: Viv Richards (top order, VARP: +157.50%)
1. :saf: AB de Villiers (middle order, VARP: +226.51%)

There may be one or two other players I've not looked at yet whose batting VARP is stronger than top-order AB, but AB the middle-order-hitter was on another planet - even further ahead of the rest than Viv. At numbers five and six he averaged a shade under 80 at a strike rate of 110.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
ODI teams need strong all-rounders, and Akshay's pick of Kallis shows that the best ones are going to be snapped up early. To be fair, Kallis would make an ODI team for either one of his batting or bowling by themselves. Ahmedleo414 also was thinking all-round ability when he took Steve Tikolo, who was good in his own right.

A team needs at least one bowler who can pick up wickets after the strike bowlers are swapped out, and if the guy can give you a few runs with the bat on a consistent basis, all the better.

I'm still going to restrict myself with the 3 point picks, I'm going with another 2-pointer here as my first all-rounder before he gets snapped up when the other guys are looking for a couple cheap picks. That would be Kevin O'Brien from Ireland. He averages 30 with the bat and 32 with the ball in both List A and ODIs, with a strike rate of 89-ish while batting. Of course, that 89-ish was blown out of the water during THAT famous victory against England in the World Cup where he scored a century off of just 50 balls. His medium pace might not look that threatening, but he has enough variations to keep the batsmen guessing. He'll bat at 6 in my lineup, enough time for him to settle and get in before he starts hitting out.

6. Kevin O'Brien
7. Tatenda Taibu

Minus 2 points.

Points available - 21

@Aislabie

Bevab

Staff Member
O'Brien was someone who I would have probably picked had it not been for these two being available but most definitely not as a cheap pick. He was an absolutely fantastic player who would have been a part of most ODI teams at his peak.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
e3ca8db33be87687774c66d13833bf60.jpg

:saf: :ar: Shaun Pollock

ODI stats
: 3,519 runs @ 26.45 (SR: 86.69, 1 century, best 130) and 393 wickets @ 24.50 (econ: 3.67, 5 5WI, best 6/35) in 303 matches
List A stats: 5,494 runs @ 26.66 (SR: n/a, 3 centuries, best 134*) and 573 wickets @ 22.93 (econ: 3.65, 7 5WI, best 6/21) in 435 matches

Batting VARP (lower order): :up: 49.04%
Bowling VARP (seam): :up: 70.52%

Shaun Pollock will undoubtedly be one of my four dual-role players to help balance the side. But he's more than that: he had the batting ability to achieve far more than he did had he not spent his whole career in a South African team packed to the gills with all-rounders. Currently I'm looking at him as a firefighter, but he has the ability to be used as a middle-order hitter if needs be. That will only ever be his secondary role though, as he was also a world class opening bowler for his entire career.

Additional Shaun Pollock trivia: in 2005, he played one-day internationals for three different teams.

@Aislabie's XI

Player||Primary Role||Secondary Role
:wi: :ar: Viv Richards| |Top-order hitter| |Stock spinner?
:saf: :ar: Shaun Pollock| |Stock seamer| |Firefighter

@CerealKiller

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
O'Brien was someone who I would have probably picked had it not been for these two being available but most definitely not as a cheap pick. He was an absolutely fantastic player who would have been a part of most ODI teams at his peak.

Didn't mean it that way, the reason he's my second pick is because even though he "only" cost 2 points, he was going to be in my team for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread