By golly old chap - you've only gone and done it Big Ant

Ken Tremendous

County Cricketer
As a seasoned cricket player, watcher and gamer, for the first time in probably over a decade or more, i felt ripped off with DBC 17, '14 was ok and i expected big strides three years later, as most of you know there are varying reasons why i believe we didnt get it, its a game i barely played and after giving a small studio like Big Ant my support of £40 or so buying it - yes i did feel short changed and vowed to myself never to buy one of their titles again.

I saw Ashes Cricket advertised and blithely just assumed its a DBC with an Ashes theme, few updated rosters, maybe some sort of license and just a cheap way to cash in on the real Ashes.

How wrong i was.

After watching some streams and review vids, and reading lots of info and informed reviews i thought...this doesnt look so bad you know.

Took the plunge today, bought it on PS4 Pro.

This....THIS is what DBC 17 should have been, from the off!

I love it, intuitive controls (ive gone standard) that do what you ask of them, bowling thats really bloody enjoyable, angling an outswinger slightly down leg side and getting the release point spot on that it shapes beautifully away from the bat, nicks the edge into the keeper or slips - just wonderful.

Spinners that can actually spin the ball, flighting, teasing, bowling jaffas round corners (not overdone) on occasion, getting it wrong and getting whacked, its all there.

The licensing, the stadiums, the ten million times better crowd ambience, atmosphere and reaction to whats actually happening.

When i pressed "buy" today i was thinking i would regret it again as much as i felt shafted by DBC 17, but i couldnt be more happy to be wrong.

There are flaws, minor bugs, commentary is still weak but eh, i dont buy games for that, i buy them to play and on a gameplay level, this game really does deliver.

Im hooked and after having destroyed the CPU on Pro, im looking forward to stepping up the next level as my Ashes battle will commence this evening.

In my opinion its quite easily now and by far the best cricket game ever made.

I know many people shared my annoyance with the DBC series in the end but i wanted to point out that if you get the product right, the consumer will forgive - you have and i did.

To Big Ant - you got there in the end.

Now lets go and retain that urn...:eng:

rowe

School Cricketer
Pretty much my thoughts. Me and a mate used to play Brian Lara '05 loads and I was talking to him about this game and he was like 'nothing will beat BLC '05' - I let him play this for a while and he agreed it's the best cricket game yet.

However I hope BA don't rest on their laurels! I would love to see Career Mode expanded further. I'm not actually that bothered about all the bugs, because the core gameplay is decent and the glitches are mostly things like commentary or animation errors. Although my 204* didn't get added to my centuries count, that was a bit annoying

Ken Tremendous

County Cricketer
Yeah im sure theyll fix things and add stuff with patches (i loved BLC all those years ago too) but finally we have a cricket game with the core mechanics and gameplay to beat them all.

Mitchell

Panel of Selectors
AUS..
Profile Flag
Australia
What that other blocker bloke saying like big ant have gave u guys the beta u guys give the, feedback their trying

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Haven't read your whole thread yet but saying you won't give them your money again is a tad extreme :p

Any game which has sequel releases will have one or two that suck or not as good as the other, it happens in all the games. They're only two versions in and it seems 2/3 are considered good!

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
By the Sounds of it so far

Offline : 8/10
Online : 4/10

So it probably depends which version of the game your playing , and that will make you either Love it (Offline) , or bitch and moan and wait (Online) .

So sadly , I will have to wait , until a future Patch gets Online right again , and then will dive right into this.

Wilburella

Banned
Like the op said, I play games for the gameplay. Obviously the graphics aren't amazing (they do alright) and the commentary is painful but the game plays well.

Users who are viewing this thread