Story Calypso vs. Collapso - A West Indies story (WI/Aus posted!)

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
www.espnquickinfo.com

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT TO POSSIBLY SHAKE UP WEST INDIES CRICKET?

On the eve of a major WICB meeting, the players' association, WIPA, has made a statement to the media that they will call a press conference tomorrow, promising an announcement that will ?shake up the future of West Indies cricket?.

With the WICB and WIPA seemingly at odds over everything pertaining to cricket in the region, this could very well be something major. That WIPA has chosen to make their announcement after the meeting seems to indicate that they are biding their time.

Dinanath Ramnarine, WIPA President, declined to comment on the statement, instead suggesting that all interested be on the lookout when the press conference takes place. On the opposite side, Julien Hunte, WICB President, seemingly brushed aside any thought of this impending announcement being threatening.

?It doesn't matter,? he is quoted as saying, ?This is not the first time that WIPA has made such statements. Shakeups or not, West Indies cricket will go on. They will not bully the WICB into making decisions that will harm the sport that ties this region together.?

More to come.

----------

www.espnquickinfo.com

WIPA MAKES SHOCKER ANNOUNCEMENT

The WICB meeting could not have gone any smoother.

News coming out of it indicates that the board will push the 'A' team and youth players for the future. The intention is to make a petition to the ICC to press for more 'A' team tours, with the WICB potentially paying a fee for teams to visit the Caribbean. Teams such as Ireland and Zimbabwe have already expressed their interest in coming to the region.

Yet, with all of this, WIPA kept their shocker in store. Thirty minutes after the WICB meeting ended, WIPA announced that the current crop of players are fed up with the poor treatment they have been receiving. What was said next needs to be seen to be believed.

*THIS CONTENT NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS DEVICE*

For those of you who cannot access the embedded video, below is a transcript of WIPA President Dinanath Ramnarine's statement.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming to this press conference. Before I make my statement on behalf of the players, let me say that this is in no way directed at the fans of West Indies cricket. We stand by the fans, and this great game is all we live for.

That being said, the decisions made recently by the West Indies Cricket Board toward the players have not been in the best interest of these fine men who go out there and represent their countries. There is a lot of favouritism being shown. The best team is simply not being played due to a lot of brown-nosing. Politics and team selection should never be mixed together and this is exactly what is happening nowadays.

Also, there have been many dark moments in recent history, the last of which saw a row over sponsor contracts. West Indies cricket is going downhill, and these players are committed to the team.

But for commitment, sacrifices must be made. Just like the men who played in Kerry Packer's league, or the rogue tours to South Africa, these players are not afraid to make the big decisions. And with that, I must say that every player currently under contract by the West Indies cricket board will refuse to play in any further matches until they get the fair treatment that is due to them.

West Indies cricket will suffer for a moment, yes, but this is what is best for the region. This is what we need. We need a major boycott like this. And if the WICB opts to play a second string team as they did against Bangladesh recently, then the blame is on them. If they know what is good for the region, they will meet with us and hear what we have to say.

That is all. No questions, please.

West Indies go to the World T20 in a short time. With players that many would consider to be the best in the world in this format of the game, what will the response by the WICB be?

---
The links...

World T20
West Indies vs. Ireland: Preview Ireland innings West Indies innings Post match

Last edited:

Dipak

ICC Board Member
Lovely build up to the story. I loved your Bangladesh story and hope this one will be of the same standards, if not better.

Good luck. :)

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
One of the key aspects to a good and a successful story is it's storyline and without doubt, you sure do know how attract readers - via the strong base that you create in your stories.

qpeedore, your last story was stunning. I'm an avid fan of your writing style and I'm sure this story will be no different. I wish you good luck with this one. :)

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
www.espnquickinfo.com

WICB RESPONDS TO WIPA

Julien Hunte, President of the WICB, has hit back at WIPA for their statement just yesterday.

The West Indies Cricket Board will not negotiate will anyone who makes these ridiculous statements. If the players wish to walk out on their contracts, then so be it. Our lawyers are at the ready and we will take this to the highest authority. These players are saying that we do not select the best team due to politics. I ask them, why is that?

Isn't it because certain players simply cannot get along with others? Isn't it that certain players complain that the team has ?too many Bajans? or ?too many Trinis?? Isn't it that certain senior players are so unapproachable that the younger crop cannot approach them for advice?

WIPA is trying, and has always tried, to use scare tactics to bully us into giving into their demands. We simply will not give in to this. If these players wish to decline from playing, then we will find a team to go to the World T20. As in our meeting yesterday, we are putting the focus on the younger set of players. There is no better way to do this than international experience. For that, I thank WIPA. They have basically put our plans into motion earlier than we ever thought.

With players like Chris Gayle, Keiron Pollard and Dwayne Bravo seemingly out of the tournament, can the WICB truly put out a competitive team? Or will they meet with WIPA and work out their respective issues?

----------

www.espnquickinfo.com

WICB PRESIDENT RESIGNS, MAKES ONE FINAL DECISION

News coming from the Caribbean in the wake of the turmoil between the WICB and WIPA is that Julien Hunte, President of the Board, has resigned amidst public outcry.

Hunte's true motivation for doing this is unknown, however it is speculated that it may be due to his stance on the current crop of players being unwilling to play. There are reports coming out of the Caribbean of death threats being made against him and his family, and he may fear for his safety.

Just before resigning, however, he made one final official ruling, and it is an earth-shattering one. He has banned several players from ever representing the West Indies in the future, whether regional or international.

The list, which comprises some 57 players, includes the likes of Chris Gayle, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Dwayne Bravo, and current captain Darren Sammy, amongst others.

WIPA President Dinanath Ramnarine could not be reached for comment, but rumours are that he is in talks with an ICC representative concerning this major ban.

Of note, those players who have been signed to the IPL and the Big Bash, as well as the English County system, are still eligible to play for their franchises. It seems as if the ban only applies to anything under a West Indies banner.

As of now, there is no word on Hunte's replacement as WICB President.

----------

www.espnquickinfo.com

ICC WEIGHS IN ON WEST INDIES CRISIS

After days of silence, the ICC has issued an official statement concerning the WICB's decision to ban some 57 players for life.

The International Cricket Council cannot undo the lifetime ban imposed by the West Indies Cricket Board on their players. The documents presented to us by both the WIPA and the WICB have been clear in not only the identities of the players unwilling to play, but also the players currently under contract by the Board. These players have all stated their lack of willingness to play, and as such, it is within the rights of the WICB to impose any action as they see fit, up to and including a ban on representing their region.

The ICC is willing to assist in any way possible in this current standoff between the Players' Association and the Board and mediators have been sent to both parties in order to find a solution to this issue.

With just 48 hours to go before the official squad to the World T20 must be named, can the ICC find a common ground between WIPA and the WICB?

Dipak

ICC Board Member
I love the title.

The story line is taking a dirty turn no. Something which is not uncommon in the Caribbean. It'll be good to see how a new look west indies side fare in the upcoming world cup.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
www.espnquickinfo.com

WICB NAMES 15-MAN WORLD T20 SQUAD

Amidst the ongoing standoff among some 57 players now banned from representing the West Indies and the West Indies Cricket Board, an official press release was sent out today naming the final 15-man squad for the World T20 tournament.

This tournament takes place in the West Indies itself in just a few days' time. That the selectors have had to change their plans on such short notice shows up in the inexperience of the team. Out of the 15, only 6 have had prior international playing experience.

There has already been a wave of angry detractors slamming the Board for their inability to resolve the current situation, and in fact for their seeming unwillingness to even enter discussions with the players.

?We believe that in light of the recent events involving West Indies cricket,? a WICB spokesman is quoted as saying, ?The team that we have selected will be competitive in the upcoming World Twenty20 tournament. These are all players who have performed for their individual territories and they have been knocking on the door of selection for some time. West Indies cricket will move into the future with these players and the board and selectors stand behind this team 100%.?

WIPA, on the other hand, has also released their own statement, with their President Dinanath Ramnarine saying, ?If this is the team that has been selected, then so be it. The guys in our camp are very familiar with all of them, and congratulations to them for being chosen to represent at the highest level. However, this is clearly not the best team that the selectors can put out. This is a step backward for cricket in the region, and certainly the WICB must realise this before very long.?

The men selected must live up to a high standard. With the tournament occurring in their own backyard, many pundits had tipped the local team to go all the way and win the trophy. Much will be retracted after this latest release.

Team captain Omari Banks, one of the few in the squad with international experience, stated that the aim of the team is to play.

?Look, this is not about which team goes out there. The fact is that this is the team that was selected. We are all professionals, and we have a job to do, and that job is to go out there and play good cricket. That is what we are aiming to do. The squad is inexperienced, but we all do this for a living. The other sides in the competition need to not underestimate us, because we will come out to play, and perhaps send a few surprises everyone's way.?

Squad

Omari Banks (c)
Danza Hyatt (vc)
Patrick Browne (wk)
Sewnarine Chattergoon
Esuan Crandon
Romel Currency
Rayad Emrit
Kavesh Kantasingh
Richard Kelly
Tamar Lambert
Evin Lewis
Kevin McClean
Dave Mohammed
William Perkins
Kevin Stoute

Mention must be made of the returning Dave Mohammed, the chinaman bowler who has had a history of having minor problems with his attitude over the years. However, he adds much needed experience to the team, having played both Tests and ODIs for the West Indies before, and also respectably representing Trinidad and Tobago at the Champions League last year. Rayad Emrit, Richard Kelly and William Perkins were also a part of that Trinidad and Tobago team. Many of the other players have made their names in T20 cricket during the now-defunct Stanford T20 league.

It will be up to men like these, as well as captain Banks, to lend the international experience to the other members of the squad.

West Indies open their campaign against Ireland on April 30th.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Right, so I know this post will be tacked onto the end of my previous one. But here are the basics:

- This is a work of fiction. Any similarity to any real-life WIPA/WICB arguments is merely coincidental and would be rather funny, in my opinion.

- The game is ICC 2010, the last version of ICC I have, hence the story starting with the T20 World Cup.

- I deliberately chose guys that have little to no experience to challenge my writing skills. The default West Indies team in the game is average at best. To play with the team I've selected will not be a very successful thing. I expect a LOT of heavy losses at the start. Don't read this story if you want to see the West Indies dominate, at least for the first few tours. I gave this thread its title for a reason.

- Don't ask me to use graphics. Ever.

- Other suggestions are very much welcome.

- Like the story? Excellent, tell me. Hate it? Excellent, tell me too.

- Sunil Narine et al were only ever dreaming of playing for the West Indies team in 2010. But I'm choosing my squads based on a few things, namely regional performances, guys who I (as in me myself and I alone) think should have had a run in the team but have been screwed repeatedly over the years. I admit that living in Trinidad I'm a bit skewed, but in-story this is the team that went to the first T20 Champions League, so naturally there will be a lot of T&T players selected.

- I will not suddenly make an about face and "resolve" this ficticious "standoff" in my story. Don't expect the big guns to be playing. The backstory sets the tone, but that's the end of most of it for now. From here on the focus is on the action.

That's about it for the basics. Opening banter for the first match will be up before the weekend, along with the mandatory prediction contest.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Look at that squad! What is happening? :eek This is going to be really interesting with WI putting out such an inexperienced team. I don't know most if not all these players and I look forward to see how they go about in this competition. It is going to be a big big test, I am sure!

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
April 30th, 2010

West Indies vs. Ireland
World T20, Group D

With all the off-field controversy involving the West Indies cricket team recently, the time for action has arrived. With a very inexperienced team playing in the World T20, many will just be itching to see how that team performs.

Ireland have shown that they are not a team to be taken lightly. Despite victories against higher ranked teams coming few and far between, those victories are always something to behold. They have come into this match, strangely enough, as favourites, considering their opposition.

But the West Indies are playing at home, and word out of their camp is that the team, inexperienced as they are, will be eager to prove themselves to the world.

Conditions and pitch

Taking place in the early afternoon, the players will be glad for some respite from the midday sun. Make no doubt about it, today will be hot. The men on the field will need to keep themselves hydrated to avoid cramps.

Looking underfoot, the pitch will offer some bounce for the batsmen. Expect the ball to come onto the bat nicely, and perhaps just as nicely off of it. There are a few small cracks which might open up late in the day, but the spinners will need to give the ball a good rip in order to see any real deviation from the straight.

With the boundaries pulled in a few metres and a great outfield, expect boundaries aplenty.

Teams

WEST INDIES

Sewnarine Chattergoon (Bat)
William Perkins (Bat)
Danza Hyatt (VC ? Bat)
Evin Lewis (Bat)
Omari Banks (CAPT ? All)
Kevin Stoute (All)
Patrick Browne (WKB)
Rayad Emrit (Bowl)
Richard Kelly (Bowl)
Dave Mohammed (Bowl)
Kevin McClean (Bowl)

One can only hope that this West Indies team puts up a fight. With very little international experience, it will be up to those with experience from the Champions League last year to step up and guide their teammates.

Watch out for
Dave Mohammed ? Keep your cameras at hand if this man picks up a wicket. And with a bowling style rapidly becoming obsolete in the modern game, he may very well find something in that last column today.

Evin Lewis ? A virtual unknown, he comes highly rated from his local club in Trinidad and Tobago, where he plastered the opposition all around the park.

IRELAND

Niall O'Brien (WKB)
William Porterfield (CAPT - Bat)
Andre Botha (All)
Andrew White (Bat)
Kevin O'Brien (All)
Paul Stirling (Bat)
Trent Johnston (All)
Peter Connell (Bowl)
Nigel Jones (Bowl)
Boyd Rankin (Bowl)
Gary Kidd (Bowl)

Ireland come into this match with a balanced team, at least on paper. The abundance of part-timers in their team gives depth to the bowling, while their batting lineup seems like a solid one.

Watch out for

Niall O'Brien ? He will be looking to get his team off to an explosive start, and his aggression will no doubt be on display.

Andre Botha ? One of the more experienced bowlers in the Irish team, he will be looking to not just contain, but to attack and take wickets.

The toss

Omari Banks and William Porterfield stand in the middle. Porterfield tosses the coin and Banks calls heads correctly. He opts to bowl, saying that at least his captaincy career has gotten off to a winning note, if only for the toss. He says that much has been said off the field about the entire situation but when it comes down to it, the men in the locker room are here to play cricket, and that they will do. They just need to stick to the basics and play the game that they have all been playing for years now.

Porterfield says that he would probably have batted first, as the pitch looks like a good one for scoring. The Irish will be coming out to score, and score big. No matter what team they are up against, they will play their cricket and they will not hold back.

---

First match and half of the second already simmed and fully written up.

The prediction contest...truth is I have no idea about this vCash thing. If anyone wants to tell me how I can award vCash to winners, please do.

The questions:

1. What score will Ireland make? (5 points for getting within 10 runs of their score, 10 points for getting within 2 runs over or under, 20 points for nailing the exact score)

2. Who takes the most wickets for the West Indies (5 points)

3. Who top scores for Ireland? (5 points)

4. What score will the top scorer for Ireland make? (as above, 5 points for within 10 runs, 10 points for within 2 runs, 20 for the exact score)

5. First person to reply with their predictions gets 5 extra points, second person gets 3 extra points, third person gets 1 extra point.

Winner gets featured in a future match writeup, either at the coin toss or may even do a stint at guest commentary.

Last edited:

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
1. 164
2. Dave Mohammad
3. William Porterfield
4. 57

Interesting to see Paul Stirling bat that low in the lineup. Weird tactics from the Irish!

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
User2010 has won 5 points for being the first to predict!

But he might not win overall. With big points in store for those who can predict scores well...the game is not over yet!

Remember, 3 extra points for the second prediction and 1 for the third. Get your scores in early folks!

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
That post maybe hints that I have got all my predictions wrong by some margin! Damn! I want to win. I want to be in that pre match show or the toss... :D

Users who are viewing this thread