Chappell-Hadlee One Day Series (December 2016)

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
@Aalay - There is no point arguing to deaf ears. As I said, when it comes to India its always flat tracks, England series. There is no point even arguing further when he has already proved himself. He will continue to prove himself. Plus always remember the craze and worshiping of cricketers in India. Kohli, Dhoni, Tendulkar and all the likes carry that burden too.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Why are you guys even debating about Kohli on this thread? It's irrelevant to this thread :facepalm.

Well even though I said that, I'll still put an opinion on it:

I think people just judge based on the form of the player when comparing to other players. If Joe Root is beating the heck out of a team, then people compare him to Virat Kohli.

As for the Test series in England which he struggled in, he was still a young guy and it was only his first England tour.

I think it makes more sense for Kohli being compared to AB in the limited format rather than Smith, Root and Williamson, as they just don't have the consistency yet.

Finally, I feel Kohli, Root, Smith, and Williamson should be thrown into the same category because this a format Kohli is not very consistent in and the three others have good records overseas just like Kohli.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
@Aalay - There is no point arguing to deaf ears. As I said, when it comes to India its always flat tracks, England series. There is no point even arguing further when he has already proved himself. He will continue to prove himself. Plus always remember the craze and worshiping of cricketers in India. Kohli, Dhoni, Tendulkar and all the likes carry that burden too.

See I don't mind this as long as we are sticking with some logic in the argument. He said Kohli has a medicore record overseas for which I gave him evidence that he doesn't, apart from that England series of course. However, when he came up with the argument which said when he made runs, they were flat tracks? I mean, seriously? This type of argument only comes from someone who hasn't watched those matches.

Why are you guys even debating about Kohli on this thread? It's irrelevant to this thread :facepalm.

It's not just about Kohli actually, it's about all 4 of Root, Williamson, Smith and Kohli.

Well even though I said that, I'll still put an opinion on it

:facepalm

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
No mention of De Kock :'(

HawkAussie

Panel of Selectors
Hobart Hurricanes
Profile Flag
Australia
Change of topic: Did anyone see that catch from Steve Smith during the game?

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

Rightly so. Still has a lot to prove test-wise in order to be considered world class. ODI you could make a case of him being in the same list...

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
De Kock based on current form definitely but as @Markkkkk said needs a little more consistency. For me he is the best keep batsman right now in the world.

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
One thing people miss is the relative quality of teammates. Kohli has Rahane, a criminally underrated player; Pujara; Vijay and many others capable of consistently contributing to the team. Playing in a settled lineup makes a world of difference to any batsman. Williamson, Smith and Root don't have that privilege. They're all captains (except in the case of Root) of very young teams, ones which are still in transition and will not mature anytime soon. Only Smith has a teammate who's anywhere near him in terms of quality in Warner but this is negated but the rest of the lineup being completely unsettled/shit.

Remove Kohli and India would still continue to perform at at least 75% of their usual level thanks to the rest of the lineup. Removing Smith would only hasten Australia's path towards being the next West Indies and the same applies for Root/Williamson.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
One thing people miss is the relative quality of teammates. Kohli has Rahane, a criminally underrated player; Pujara; Vijay and many others capable of consistently contributing to the team. Playing in a settled lineup makes a world of difference to any batsman. Williamson, Smith and Root don't have that privilege. They're all captains (except in the case of Root) of very young teams, ones which are still in transition and will not mature anytime soon. Only Smith has a teammate who's anywhere near him in terms of quality in Warner but this is negated but the rest of the lineup being completely unsettled/shit.

Remove Kohli and India would still continue to perform at at least 75% of their usual level thanks to the rest of the lineup. Removing Smith would only hasten Australia's path towards being the next West Indies and the same applies for Root/Williamson.
I am not posting to tell who is better than whom. I want to state only on the points which I have marked in bold.

T20 - If you have followed the world cup, then you SHOULD know that other than Kohli, no one performed well in the Indian team. He had so much pressure, he had tricky wickets and yet he performed very well. NONE of the other Indians played well in T20. Everyone from Rohit, Dhawan, Raina, Yuvraj and even MSD failed to perform. This is the case in all the T20 matches. Rahane is out of context here as he is not in the team in T20. Rohit performs well only in flat tracks. The only reliable batsmen ( apart from Kohli obviously ) we have got is MSD. But his T20I stats are poor.

ODI- Rahane is not a great player in ODI. He is a good player. But way behind Kohli's class. Rohit as I said performs mostly on flat tracks. And we don't have any other opener who is performing consistently. The only other player who is performing well in ODI is Dhoni. You can compare Kohli-Dhoni to Smith-Warner. Hell, Warner nowadays is more dangerous than Dhoni ( Dhoni's form has slightly dipped recently ). There is no other batsmen in our team whom we can rely on. Kohli can bat on any pitch and he will still score runs. But the same can't be said for anyone else in Indian team other than MSD.

Test- I agree partially with you regarding this. We have Vijay, Pujara and Rahane and dare I say Ashwin too. But, Rahane never plays well in India. Vijay is not playing well since past one year and Pujara started to perform well again since last series. And Kohli has the burdency of captainship in Tests. But again, we don't have a stable opener. I can say the same to England. They have Root, Cook, Stokes and Bairstow has been incredible for them recently. So, Root has comfortable team. Even for Aussies, you guys have Warner, Smith and Khawaja. You guys haven't had good series or 2, but Warner and Khawaja are great players. Especially Warner.

Without Kohli, India would be an ordinary team in limited overs format without any doubt. We rely on him more than we should. The guy is performing consistently since so many years and atleast in limited overs format, for me, he is the greatest. ( Apart from ABD ). Nowadays, he is performing well even in Tests. Kohli is a class act regardless. His performance and stats are extremely good in limited overs.

And I agree with you on Williamson. He is kind of a lone wolf in NZ. But I don't agree with you that Root and Smith doesn't have their teams support.

Well, opinion differs with each person, but that's what I feel.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Rightly so. Still has a lot to prove test-wise in order to be considered world class. ODI you could make a case of him being in the same list...

Hmm!

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India

De Kock is an absolute beast when he is in full flow and he is definitely the best keeper batsman right now in the world in limited overs format. Butler is dangerous as well but QDK is a bit more consistent than him. However, I would still give QDK some time to see how he performs consistently before putting him in that elite category. I have no doubt that he will definitely be up there with the best in a year's time if he keeps up his consistency.

Users who are viewing this thread