Just 2 days to go!

Who Will play in 1st match?

1. Wood

2. Ngidi

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Have Wood and Ngidi even reached India yet? I do not see any talk about him in the pre-tournament build up of Chennai Super Kings. And CSK has been very vocal about their build up so far. I would start off with Wood because I believe he would be better at executing the slower balls that might be needed of the raging batting surface of the Wankhede. If Wankhede pitch stays true to its recent history, pace and height won't matter. Change of pace will matter more and that's where Wood will come in handy.

Also after seeing the practice match, Dhruv Shorey might have made a case for himself to open the batting alongwith Watson. He should push Vijay hard for a spot.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
My predicted XI:

1. Shane Watson
  2. Murali Vijay
  3. Suresh Raina
  4. MS Dhoni
  5. Faf du Plessis
  6. Ambati Rayudu
  7. Dwayne Bravo
  8. Harbhajan Singh
  9. Ravindra Jadeja
  10. Mark Wood
  11. Shardul Thakur
I know it seems one batsman too many, but gives a really deep batting lineup with solid bowling options with 4 Pacers and 3 spinners (including Raina)[DOUBLEPOST=1522946752][/DOUBLEPOST]Dhoni bats at 4 as Fleming announced that he will bat higher up the order.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
My predicted XI:

1. Shane Watson
  2. Murali Vijay Faf Du Plessis
  3. Suresh Raina
  4. MS Dhoni
  5. Faf du Plessis Kedar Jadhav
  6. Ambati Rayudu
  7. Dwayne Bravo
  8. Harbhajan Singh Ravindra Jadeja
  9. Ravindra Jadeja Harbhajan Singh
  10. Mark Wood
  11. Shardul Thakur
I know it seems one batsman too many, but gives a really deep batting lineup with solid bowling options with 4 Pacers and 3 spinners (including Raina)[DOUBLEPOST=1522946752][/DOUBLEPOST]Dhoni bats at 4 as Fleming announced that he will bat higher up the order.

I cannot fathom FaF batting that low in the order. He is a top order player, more so an opener. With the side you've chosen, I would rather have FaF open with Watson and move Vijay down the order and replace him with Jadhav. Also swap Bhajji and Jaddu's batting spots

This XI (modified within your XI) looks good. Yes we will have overseas guys opening the batting but we also have backup Indian options (Murali Vijay, Dhruv Shorey) in case we need to tinker.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I cannot fathom FaF batting that low in the order. He is a top order player, more so an opener. With the side you've chosen, I would rather have FaF open with Watson and move Vijay down the order and replace him with Jadhav. Also swap Bhajji and Jaddu's batting spots

This XI (modified within your XI) looks good. Yes we will have overseas guys opening the batting but we also have backup Indian options (Murali Vijay, Dhruv Shorey) in case we need to tinker.
Then Rayudu bats above Jadhav at all costs. He is an ultimately underrated player and is much much better than Jadhav.

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
The relationship that Dhoni and Chennai have is very similar to that of a mother and a son. Thala will respond, just wait.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
After a jailbreak of a win, CSK should feel relieved but they need to approach their next game as if they lost the previous one. Good thing is, it will be easier to tweak their XI now as one game is done and its now a matter of trial and error (with knowledge of conditions and pitch of respective venue, to find the right XI).

Our next is a home game against KKR. With what we saw today, this should be the ideal XI against KKR

M Vijay
S Watson*
S Raina
S Billings*
M Dhoni (c)
A Rayudu
D Bravo*
R Jadeja
H Singh
I Tahir*
D Chahar

For a home game on a slow Chepauk pitch, it makes sense to go with 3 spinners (Jadeja/Bhajji/Tahir) as Bhajji can bowl in Powerplay. With Watson being a new ball bowler, he can handle the duties if required along with Chahar and they did well today against MI. Due to the slow nature of Chepauk, we will need an extra batsman to strengthen our batting. Vijay comes in for Jadhav and opens the innings, Billings comes in for Mark Wood and Billings/Dhoni/Rayudu have a floating spot in the batting order depending on how the openers and Raina start (for now, I will say Billings at 4, Dhoni at 5 and Rayudu at 6).

-----
Wonder if CSK will now press for a replacement for Santner, with Jadhav possibly out for a few weeks. I might think Jadhav will miss possibly 5-6 games. In such a scenario, it makes sense to get a replacement for Santner who got injured before the tournament started.

Manish.

Staff Member
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Kedar Jadhav ruled out of IPL 18 due to hamstring!
Huge blow for CSK!

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I think it makes sense for CSK to try to acquire Thisara Perera. It can almost hit two birds in one stone. Get an overseas replacement for Santner and minimize the impact of Jadhav's loss in CSK's middle order. Also Perera will be a good fit when CSK plays overseas games where spin will not be a big help.

I doubt if they will be able to find an able Indian replacement for Jadhav as all the good Indian players are already taken and CSK have to dip into the unknown talent pool if they want to replace Jadhav.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I think it makes sense for CSK to try to acquire Thisara Perera. It can almost hit two birds in one stone. Get an overseas replacement for Santner and minimize the impact of Jadhav's loss in CSK's middle order. Also Perera will be a good fit when CSK plays overseas games where spin will not be a big help.

I doubt if they will be able to find an able Indian replacement for Jadhav as all the good Indian players are already taken and CSK have to dip into the unknown talent pool if they want to replace Jadhav.
Probably get Irfan Pathan

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
He is an exclusive expert for the starsports in the Hindi commentary.
He can definitely join CSK if asked too. I remember Murali Kartick was one too and he joined the Indian team in that famous victory where India bowled out Aussies if I remember correctly very cheaply and he was the MOTM. So in IPL anything can be possible. Although seeing Irfan was part of Dhoni's team previously and did not get any chance his chances are slim.

B

Bigby Wolf

He can definitely join CSK if asked too. I remember Murali Kartick was one too and he joined the Indian team in that famous victory where India bowled out Aussies if I remember correctly very cheaply and he was the MOTM. So in IPL anything can be possible. Although seeing Irfan was part of Dhoni's team previously and did not get any chance his chances are slim.
Not sure about Murali Karthik but some commentators did join as replacement player in the IPl : Mark Boucher replaced Brad Haddin for KKR in 2011 , David Hussey replaced Bravo in 2014 for CSK. Not sure about Irfan Pathan they should rather go with a unsold foreign player.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Not sure about Murali Karthik but some commentators did join as replacement player in the IPl : Mark Boucher replaced Brad Haddin for KKR in 2011 , David Hussey replaced Bravo in 2014 for CSK. Not sure about Irfan Pathan they should rather go with a unsold foreign player.
Irfan Pathan would be a good choice just because they lost an Indian player. They can always go to unsold foreign player in place of Santner. This way they have things covered.

Users who are viewing this thread