Coca-Cola Championship Thread

covlad-99

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
In the English Football thread, most of the talk and the polls etc... are all about the Premiership, and Man Utd and Arsenal and Liverpool and Chelsea etc... So I thought I'd make a thread for all us proper fans who don't support a team because of how good they are or how much money they have! I get so bored of people who don't know the slightest thing about football, telling lower league proper supporters how bad their team is, when they couldn't even name their own team's first XI! This doesn't apply to everyone obviously, so dont take offence if you do support the so called 'big four', this thread is just so that us Championship supporters can have a jolly old chat. Please don't close this thread mods, because no doubt you'll say all the football chat goes in the English Football thread, but we want to talk proper football.
So off we go.

This Weekends Results
Barnsley 2-0 Derby
Bristol City 1-1 QPR
Burnley 0-0 Plymouth
Doncaster 1-0 Coventry
Norwich 1-1 Birmingham
Preston 2-1 Charlton
Reading 4-2 Crystal Palace
Sheff Utd 0-0 Cardiff
Southampton 0-1 Blackpool
Swansea 1-1 Sheff Wed
Watford 2-1 Ipswich
Wolverhampton 5-1 Nottm Forest

Current League Table
currentchampionshiptablvz1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Does that mean we're not proper fans any more if we get promoted? :p

There are some people who think the Championship is a crap league, when in terms of competitiveness it is definitely better than the Premier League. Just look at the gap between top and bottom:

Premier League:

Top: Arsenal (65 points)
Bottom: Derby County (10 points)
Gap: 55 points

Championship:

Top: Bristol City (66 points)
Bottom: Colchester United (32 points)
Gap: 34 points

So there is a 21 point difference in the gaps between top and bottom in the top two leagues, and it shows that anything can happen in the Championship.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Still top of the pile, but after hitting the woodwork twice yesterday and one of them actually crossing the line without the officials seeing, I think we should've got the 3 points. Also to add insult to injury Stoke go and score in the last minute. A bloody penalty that hits the post and then bounces off the keeper and in!

Have to hope Watford and West Brom slip up, which is very possible...

Manly

Thor
Town had a week off. Puts more pressure on us to get a result to get back in the mixer.

Banrnsley on Tuesday, hopefully their players went on a Tottenham-style bender and got so wasted that they can't play. Wishful thinking, maybe, but nevertheless we certainly have work to do.

covlad-99

International Cricketer
I meant the so called top four sides, 61% of kids in Britain support Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool, and its spoiling the game imo.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
I went to Leicester before I went boxing yesterday and that was an amazing performance, they played better then than when they thrashed Watford and Norwich. They're down, no-one has that many chances and fails to win, on a normal day they would have won 5-0. Oh well the finalists for miss Leicestershire were in the box next to us. very nice although not as nice as the ring girls put on by those delightful people at spearmint rhino for us :D

covlad-99

International Cricketer
Lol. If Cardiff beat Middlesbrough (Cardiff are crusising 2-0 up at the moment), then there will only be 1 Premiership team left, Portsmouth. Who said the Premiership was the strongest league in the world? Its the Championship!
As for Leicester, sorry, but being a Cov fan, I would love to see them down :p

Upcoming Midweek fixtures and Kickoff Times:

Tuesday, 11 March 2008

Barnsley v Ipswich, 19:45
Bristol City v Watford, 19:45
Burnley v Charlton, 19:45
Colchester v Sheff Wed, 19:45
Norwich v Stoke, 19:45
Preston v Wolverhampton, 19:45
QPR v Blackpool, 20:00
Scunthorpe v Plymouth, 19:30
Sheff Utd v Coventry, 19:45
Southampton v Leicester, 19:45

Wednesday, 12 March 2008

Cardiff v Hull, 19:45
West Brom v Crystal Palace, 19:45

So, some very important fixtures on Tuesday/ Wednesday, mostly for the bottom sides, if Sheffield Wednesday beat Colchester, which will probably happen and Leicester lose to Southampton, which might happen, Leicester will be in the drop zone, and Sheffield Wednesday will still have 2 games in hand over them! Interesting stuff... Your thoughts?

Latest News:
Go Here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/default.stm
For match reports, Transfer news and that...

Last edited:

thesweepmaster

County Cricketer
This is a great idea for a thread. As some people may have worked out from other threads, i'm a West Brom fan and i think that we are going up. Stoke have completely destroyed there great run with their last 3 games, Bristol City didn't seem to play well yesterday and now with West Brom having 2 games in hand on both these teams, then we have got a great chance! :cool:

covlad-99

International Cricketer
Yeh, I think Baggies will go up too, they have so much quality, and I think with the team they have now they could stay in the Premiership already, so I think they'll go up, I hope Bristol City don't go up for their own good, I think if they do, they will get humilliated and would get less points than Derby have already got, but you never know.

thesweepmaster

County Cricketer
Orginally posted by covlad-99
Yeh, I think Baggies will go up too, they have so much quality, and I think with the team they have now they could stay in the Premiership already, so I think they'll go up
Is that so we don't take 6 points off you next season? I'm only joking. We smacked you at your ground, 4-0 but then you smacked us at our ground, 4-2. Maybe swapping grounds might be a benefit for both teams?? :p

covlad-99

International Cricketer
PREDICTIONS FOR THE MIDWEEK GAMES:

Tuesday​

Barnsley 0-1 Ipswich
Bristol City 1-1 Watford
Burnley 1-2 Charlton
Colchester 0-2 Sheff Wed
Norwich 1-2 Stoke
Preston 1-3 Wolverhampton
QPR 3-0 Blackpool
Scunthorpe 0-2 Plymouth
Sheff Utd 0-1 Coventry
Southampton 1-1 Leicester​

Wednesday

Cardiff 1-1 Hull
West Brom 2-1 Crystal Palace​

League Table if these results happen:

You can post your own predictions if you like, and if someone wants to set up a predictions league or something and manage it themselves and put it on here then feel free.

Is that so we don't take 6 points off you next season? I'm only joking. We smacked you at your ground, 4-0 but then you smacked us at our ground, 4-2. Maybe swapping grounds might be a benefit for both teams?? :p

Then you smacked us at our ground again 5-0! Yeh, its very strange, but its like Coventry against Derby, 3 out of the 4 times we have played them last, we have smacked 6 goals against them. Funny how football works out.

Also, I am going to do my Championship Player and Manager of the month at the end of each month ;) Might as well do as much as I can ;)

Last edited:

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Ipswich away win Lol, as if that's going to happen ;). I want West Brom, Watford and Charlton to go up this season, i don't think that Bristol City or Stoke would stand a chance in the EPL and would just be knocked straight back down again. The Championships definetly a good league though, not as entertaining as the EPL, but still pretty damn awesome. Leeds ftw next season though !!

Users who are viewing this thread