Commonwealth Bank Series (Australia, India, Sri Lanka)

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'll still stand by my claim that Praveen Kumar is not of international standard. He's taken a few wickets, here, and good on him. But I doubt he'll be able to dominate for a long while.

He will never dominate any international level, but he is more than tricky to face with the new white ball. The swing he gets is toward the level of Waqar Younis in terms of pure degree of movement (obviously, not quite as late or as fast).

He has a long ODI career ahead of him, imo, injuries permitting.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
You comparing the bowling standards? If so, sorry... Tendulkar has played exceptionally well against far far better standards than the current bowling one.. With success against legendary bowlers like Ambrose, Walsh, Waquar, Wasim, McGrath, Warne, Pollock.... etc the current standard is not even 1/10th of those. :p

That was years ago, years ago I wouldn't need to compare the standards cause our batting was on top of the world, hell the Aussie bowling attack kept Tendulkar from scoring a 100 in Australia for 39 ODI matches! I'm talking about the CBS Final series 2008 not 1989 and I believe the Indian attack would have been more effective against Tendulkar than the Aussie one.
Did the Indian bowlers not get more swing than the Aussie ones? Were the Indian spinners not more effective than the Aussie ones? If the answer is yes to any then Australia needs to have a hard look at themselves.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
After the end of the CB Series, i have come to the conclusion that India out-played Australia right through the entire summer.

A good performance by the team and it showed that we could stand up in the worst of times.

We did outplay Australia in the ODI series, especially the finals. We fought neck to neck with them in the test matches and deserved a drawn series but for that ill fated game in Sydney

I don't know how many of them know this, even Sehwag was worst in his communication skills.... Later, he hired a special tutor for teaching him English. ;) These things are quite common problem for Sub Continent players which will/should get solved soon. :) Even I remember a Assam player took help of a translator during presentation ceremony in ICL.

Sehwag when he started out, at least spoke some broken English and managed to speak it. But Praveen is not even attempting to do it.

I am not criticising Praveen, but just suggesting that he get up on it soon. He might play in various countries and English is the only language that will help him communicate his thoughts properly and in public

Last edited:

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
icyman said:
After the end of the CB Series, i have come to the conclusion that India out-played Australia right through the entire summer.

I sincerely hope that this was a tongue-in-cheek comment, otherwise you're still suffering from a Final hangover or you're just incredibly disillusioned.

You lost an ODI series at home, a Test Series away (questionable Test or not) and came second in the CB Series Table but I guess a finals win cancels all the rest out.

vaibhav mehta

Chairman of Selectors
Ya and you need to know Skills to play Cricket not language..Its better If they know it or they Should know it but i am not finding it weired..
Whoever thinks English is necessary to communicate please visit Ukraine,Russia,France,Bela rus..You will find out..:p

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I sincerely hope that this was a tongue-in-cheek comment, otherwise you're still suffering from a Final hangover or you're just incredibly disillusioned.

You lost an ODI series at home, a Test Series away (questionable Test or not) and came second in the CB Series Table but I guess a finals win cancels all the rest out.

"Questionable test or not" according to you. He was talking about outplaying, and that doesnt rely on just the table.

And he was referring to the "Australian summer". How does the ODI series in India become part of this Australian summer? I felt it all started with the Sri Lankan series in Australia followed by this recently concluded tour.

Just noticed in the video clip on Youtube - When the team came up to take hold of the trophy, I heard Dhoni saying to the team "Sabse Chota Kaun Hai?" (who is the youngest of the lot?) and he pointed that person to come forward first to hold the trophy (Piyush came forward as he is the youngest at 19). After the pre-series controversy where the absence of Ganguly-Dravid and Dhoni's insistence of the youngsters was talked about, Dhoni re-stated that youngsters were the way to go and this gesture of his was so poignant and important. He is getting the team he wants, and I am very happy that we have a selection panel that gives the captain the team he wants (I heard that some selectors have even said privately to the media that the team selected was the one asked by Dhoni).

Last edited:

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
Just noticed in the video clip on Youtube - When the team came up to take hold of the trophy, I heard Dhoni saying to the team "Sabse Chota Kaun Hai?" (who is the youngest of the lot?) and he pointed that person to come forward first to hold the trophy (Piyush came forward as he is the youngest at 19). After the pre-series controversy where the absence of Ganguly-Dravid and Dhoni's insistence of the youngsters was talked about, Dhoni re-stated that youngsters were the way to go and this gesture of his was so poignant and important. He is getting the team he wants, and I am very happy that we have a selection panel that gives the captain the team he wants (I heard that some selectors have even said privately to the media that the team selected was the one asked by Dhoni).

yeah....even i heard that !! and this more or less clears my doubt
about dhoni having a dig at the seniors !

jordox

International Cricketer
Later, he hired a special tutor for teaching him English. ;) These things are quite common problem for Sub Continent players which will/should get solved soon. :) Even I remember a Assam player took help of a translator during presentation ceremony in ICL.

I disagree. Why should they have to learn English? They are cricket players, not diplomats. I say let them be.

baburao

Club Cricketer
I have a feeling Ponting will lose his captaincy next summer in Australia after losing against the South Africans.:p

icyman is right india outplayed Australia this summer.Look at the way Australia used to win against India in the past.And now look at the way they won in the league matches.Its becoz of india's and sri lanka's own mistake Australia won.
And talking about test series.Australia won it?Yeah but how we all know.

Apart from the first test match india had the upper hand in the next three test matches.Sydney where australia won becoz of some cheaters and bad umpiring was India's test match.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
And yes India always does well in tests against the aussies rather than England(who won the ashes 2005 by fluke).

Last edited:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
He will never dominate any international level, but he is more than tricky to face with the new white ball. The swing he gets is toward the level of Waqar Younis in terms of pure degree of movement (obviously, not quite as late or as fast).

He has a long ODI career ahead of him, imo, injuries permitting.

Injuries permitting he should last long enough.I do not see a long role for him in the Tests.Yet another thing-he will always be effective with the Kookabura as it generates a lot more swig than the SG or the Dukes.

Outplaying will never account to winning all matches we play.Losing the Test,had the decisions been in our favor,the scoreline could have read 2-1 India.Let us not get inot all that now.
The fact remains that we outplayed your team where it mattered the most.
Other teams would have lost 5-0.We as a unit almost won the Test Series and we took home the ODI series.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
way Australia used to win against India in the past.And now look at the way they won in the league matches.Its becoz of india's and sri lanka's own mistake Australia won.
And talking about test series.Australia won it?Yeah but how we all know.

Apart from the first test match india had the upper hand in the next three test matches.Sydney where australia won becoz of some cheaters and bad umpiring was India's test match.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
And yes India always does well in tests against the aussies rather than England(who won the ashes 2005 by fluke).

Am I suppose to respect your opinion when you shovel out absolute rubbish like this. You are a horribly sore loser. If it's not the Umpires, it's Australia's cheating. Maybe you just weren't good enough. Australia are better than you and better than us. Accept it and give them credit.

As for the Ashes remark, beat Australia and then say something.

Icyman, outplaying someone has nothing to do with winning the match? What!?

I'm English btw.

At Saisrini, where did Icyman mention 'Australian' Summer?

.Mob

International Coach
Just noticed in the video clip on Youtube - When the team came up to take hold of the trophy, I heard Dhoni saying to the team "Sabse Chota Kaun Hai?" (who is the youngest of the lot?) and he pointed that person to come forward first to hold the trophy (Piyush came forward as he is the youngest at 19).

Just underlines his awesomeness.

Go Mahi, GO!

Users who are viewing this thread