Computer and Video Games Interview

Ste

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Another interview with Andrew Wilson has been published, this time by British website C&VG.

INTERVIEW: CRICKET 2005 STEPS TO THE CREASE

EA's Andrew Wilson plays a few solid forward defensives in our Q&A, plus new pics

16:55 It's a mighty cricketing struggle between two of the mightiest powers in the game - for the winner there's the sweet pine-scented smell of victory, kudos and bragging rights and the chance to wildly spray champagne from the winner's balcony; for the loser it's the sour taste of bitter defeat, a sense of shame, a consolation can of Tizer and the knowledge that they've succumbed to the oldest enemy.

No not the Ashes - though of course that's the other premier cricketing contest this summer, no we're talking about the clash of gaming's cricketing titans as EA's mighty Cricket series comes under the strongest of challenges from Codemasters' Brian Lara International Cricket, which is making a welcome return to the summer game.

We've already quizzed Codemaster's chief game designer Justin Forrest on the latest incarnation of Brian Lara and today it's EA's Andrew Wilson producer of Cricket 2005 who's stepping up to the crease.

We lobbed him a few teasing deliveries and watched him play a solid forward defensive. Here's what our probing line and length examination discovered.

What major innovations are you bringing to the series this year?

This is a long list. Cricket 2005 has had a major technology overhaul this year. This has meant huge improvements both visually and in game-play. Throw in some new intuitive controls that give the gamer more control and a host of new tournaments, teams and players, and Cricket 2005 is by far the best cricket game ever.

Have you made any major changes to the game engine this time around?

As discussed above, we have used what is commonly known as the FIFA engine. In reality, the engine that we use across many of our EA SPORTS titles. As part of this, we get to use their animation tools and a series of other core components that EA have invested millions and millions of dollars in over the years. Give this to an experienced team and the results speak for themselves.

In the regular game what kind of modes and challenges will players get to play? You've introduced a new Twenty20 mode this year - how different a game does that offer?

Across a huge array of tournaments, seasons and tours, the user will have to implement different playing styles in order to be successful. I often refer to cricket as a big chess match on an oval. This means that you have to apply a different strategy according to your situation. If you simply try to play the same way in every tournament, you are going to find yourself chasing some big totals.

How will batting work? How have you replicated the subtleties of the different strokes and timing?

While we have not gone about completely changing the batting controls as focus groups told us that this was not the desire of the end user. What we have done, (and capturing over 1000 new animations has helped here), is given different batsman different abilities that are very apparent on the pitch. Add to that the notion of batsman confidence, measured by a meter in the top left corner of the screen, and you have all the subtleties of real life cricket.

How will bowling work? How have you produced the nuances of seam, swing and spin - will you be able to bowl special balls like bouncers, yorkers, wrong 'uns and even doosras?

Bowling is an area that we have given a lot of focus. We have implemented a new bowling HUD that makes bowling both fun and intuitive. In addition to this, we have added varying special deliveries for each bowler in the game. If a bowler can keep the run rate down through consistent line and length, they will 'open up' special deliveries, (represented in the HUD so that you know when they are available), that will bamboozle even the finest batsman. However, give the batsman a chance to strike back and they disappear until the next consistent spell of bowling.

How accurately do your virtual players reflect their real-life counterparts? How have you decided on accurate player ratings and stats? Do star players like Shane Warne, Andrew Flintoff have their own styles?

We recognize that cricket is a game of stats and as a result this is an area that we always endeavour to implement as true to life as possible. Star players like Warne and Flintoff will have noticeable abilities greater than their less experiences counterparts.

To what degree can you customize your field settings and how important is this tactically?

There are a series of pre-set fielding positions, but the user will also have the ability to customize and save their personal settings. As with real cricket, this is extremely important to keep the run-rate down and secure those well earned wickets.

What plans have you got for the multiplayer versions of the game?

There are two and four player and co-operative play options.

Commentary is always important in sports games, how's it been working with Richie Benaud? Who else have you got lined up for the commentary team?

Richie is amazing to work with. He is truly the voice of cricket. We have been working with him for some years now and he never disappoints. He is the consummate professional. In addition to Richie, we have also continued to work with Jim Maxwell. Jim is an amazing cricket commentator and a true gentleman.

Are there any major differences between the different console versions?

There are some things that one platform will do better than others, however, the actual game-play options across platforms are the same.

Would you ever consider bringing the series into the handheld arena on PSP or DS?

Definitely. I think that this could be very valuable in the future.

Who's going to win the Ashes this summer?

Do you really need to ask? [We should point our at this stage Mr Wilson is an Australian, though we'll try not to hold it against him - we'll just snigger when England carry off the real-life trophy]

John Houlihan

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
as focus groups told us

Erm, I'm reckoning that I'm a member of or have visited every forum where Cricket2004 was or is being discussed and I've never found anyone on a focus group. I seriously cannot believe that any focus group who played C2k4 told EA that the only thing wrong was that there weren't enough motion captures!!!
Another almost entirely specious interview although at least by never actually answering the questions he's asked Andrew Wilson is less likely to be accused of lying this time.

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
barmyarmy said:
at least by never actually answering the questions he's asked Andrew Wilson is less likely to be accused of lying this time.

:D

There is one thing we can hold him to atleast.

'Cricket 2005 is by far the best cricket game ever.'

If it's anything less than that Mr Wilson, I think you'll be getting more criticism than you did for Cricket 2004.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
yes he is always vague when giving answers

What we have done, (and capturing over 1000 new animations has helped here), is given different batsman different abilities that are very apparent on the pitch. Add to that the notion of batsman confidence, measured by a meter in the top left corner of the screen, and you have all the subtleties of real life cricket.

He is seemingly trying to make out that the batting confidence feature is new to this years release and makes a big difference to batting :rolleyes:

taxial

School Cricketer
Sounds good to me, I hope they deliever. Until I get it in my hands Im not going to bother wasting my time on what they have done in the past. Im just going to keep my toes crossed that they get it right this time around.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I actually didn't mind this interview. The focus groups, if they actually exist, will probably be doing stealth research--joining, when necessary, and simply reading what is being talked about. However, if these focus groups are to make any improvements then we will see a perfect game in about two months. :D The batting actually wasn't a problem in Cricket 2004--the bowling simply sucked. If the bowling has been improved (and not just actual bowling but also the AI behind bowling) then this game has already exceeded C2k4.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
sohummisra said:
The batting actually wasn't a problem in Cricket 2004--.

I must admit I thought it did - the directional range values for each shot only seemed to apply to cpu batting and I found when you bat, the shot goes almost exactly to the place the directional value is set, regardless of how big the range value was?

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
zimrahil said:
I must admit I thought it did - the directional range values for each shot only seemed to apply to cpu batting and I found when you bat, the shot goes almost exactly to the place the directional value is set, regardless of how big the range value was?

Very true, although the cpu's spiders did make pretty viewing.

Would also be nice if the human batsmen's confidence went up when they left balls, just like the cpu's.

Users who are viewing this thread