Cricket 19 General Discussion

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
In recent times, the best thing I have had as a left handed middle order batting all-rounder, is that I play mostly leg side when new to the crease and as confidence increases, play off side. It feels realistic, because if a left handed batsman in real life plays too many drives early on, chance of getting out is high. So, it does feel very realistic.

Plotinus

Associate Captain
...Anyway couldn’t test for long enough but went in to an ODI where you would expect some lofted shits obviously.
Not really the first thing I would expect in an ODI unless the bowling was ultra-aggressive or the fish sandwiches at lunch had been a little ripe.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Just something that puzzles me and I don’t know if @blockerdave has experienced this as he plays mostly long format. But I went on earlier and lowered everyone’s control. Which apparently controls shot trajectory.

Anyway couldn’t test for long enough but went in to an ODI where you would expect some lofted shits obviously.

I have noticed this before but when I bowl a no ball the free hit quite often gets slapped to a fielder for a catch. In the ring or on the boundary. But then you won’t get it for a normal delivery or very very very rarely.

I have no idea why this is? But the ability for outfield catches is there. Because they do it on a free hot ALOT!

Isn't this game just scripted, like the fact they often (not always, but often) smash the last ball of the over for four?

AI vs AI games always seem to follow the same theme, a few wickets, nick behind usually, with the new ball, some middling middle order innings, always going along at about 3.6 to 3.8 an over, before someone like Yasir Shah hits 100 at exactly 3.6 to 3.8 an over. Everyone hits 400-500 odd and then there is usually a result late on in day five.

Tongue in cheek for most of this, but I just don't find the AI engine, whether in AI vs AI or me vs AI very organic or rewarding.

Last edited:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Isn't this game just scripted, like the fact they often (not always, but often) smash the last ball of the over for four?

AI vs AI games always seem to follow the same theme, a few wickets, nick behind usually, with the new ball, some middling middle order innings, always going along at about 3.6 to 3.8 an over, before someone like Yasir Shah hits 100 at exactly 3.6 to 3.8 an over. Everyone hits 400-500 odd and then there is usually a result late on in day five.
I've had many times in the past where I have felt like things are scripted, particularly when bowling. Like a quick time event where you are doing complicated button pushes to trigger whatever the AI is already planning to do. But if it was scripted there would not be as many complaints because it'd just give everything people want.

Infield catches - here's 1.7 per innings.
Run outs - here's 1.2 per match.
Ball wear - here you go, it's the same every game but it's there.

I just think some things aren't complex enough and some areas the complexity that is there doesn't always work I think Mattw mentioned a while back that there were several factors at play in ball wear. Now, it might be a bug making it not work or maybe those factors don't function as well as is desired. So they could just script the ball to wear in exactly the same way every time and everyone would be happy and probably not notice. Does that make the game better?

There were no run outs, if I remember rightly, when the game released. Now I find I get at least one, if not two, per innings. The balance in certain areas seems so fine that it ends up looking scripted one way or the other.

AI Batting feels too dominated by an overall team approach and that all teams end up doing the same. The batsman then fit into this pattern so it nevers feels like there is huge variety in matches. AI innings and scores feel as though they follow a similar pattern. This is why I can never bowl a maiden and get hit four a boundary almost every over. Then I lower the team run rate and I get the odd maiden but still get boundaries that feel like they are scripted.

It's where I would like to see batting more focussed on each player and with each team displaying varied approaches; different responses to early wickets. Some players will dig in and scrap, some players will try to counter attack, some will just play their normal game. You get early wickets and it all too often seems to be a rebuilding phase. I swear number 9 is the strongest batting position I come up against.

Wealey

ICC Board Member

Tongue in cheek for most of this, but I just don't find the AI engine, whether in AI vs AI or me vs AI very organic or rewarding.

just to clarify I don’t get outfield catches...

but I don’t have to last ball smash at all!

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I've had many times in the past where I have felt like things are scripted, particularly when bowling. Like a quick time event where you are doing complicated button pushes to trigger whatever the AI is already planning to do. But if it was scripted there would not be as many complaints because it'd just give everything people want.

I just think some things aren't complex enough and some areas the complexity that is there doesn't always work I think Mattw mentioned a while back that there were several factors at play in ball wear. Now, it might be a bug making it not work or maybe those factors don't function as well as is desired. So they could just script the ball to wear in exactly the same way every time and everyone would be happy and probably not notice. Does that make the game better?

There were no run outs, if I remember rightly, when the game released. Now I find I get at least one, if not two, per innings. The balance in certain areas seems so fine that it ends up looking scripted one way or the other.

AI Batting feels too dominated by an overall team approach and that all teams end up doing the same. The batsman then fit into this pattern so it nevers feels like there is huge variety in matches. AI innings and scores feel as though they follow a similar pattern. This is why I can never bowl a maiden and get hit four a boundary almost every over. Then I lower the team run rate and I get the odd maiden but still get boundaries that feel like they are scripted.

It's where I would like to see batting more focussed on each player and with each team displaying varied approaches; different responses to early wickets. Some players will dig in and scrap, some players will try to counter attack, some will just play their normal game. You get early wickets and it all too often seems to be a rebuilding phase. I swear number 9 is the strongest batting position I come up against.

Exactly! Nothing feels particularly organic or different or interesting from inning to inning. I feel slightly happier with Ashes Cricket.

I have also never, ever seen ball wear in C19.

shak91

School Cricketer
I really would appreciate a response ! I have tried creating an online custom match and sending my friend the invitation several times but there is an error that says Unable to connect will return to menu . I also tried it the other way around but it didnt work. We also tried hosting matches and waited for the each other to join by refreshing several times but our ids dont show up in the list however we both can see the same ids hosting the match. After that we have also tried to log in the quick match so that we get to play together by chance but it doesn't happen. Can somebody help?

PS4 Users

cosimas

School Cricketer
I would like some general advice about custom teams (and custom kits). Apologies if this is the wrong thread (I had a look for something more relevant and checked the FAQ).

When you download a custom team, do they get created as a separate entity, or do they overwrite a team already in the game? (I was thinking of downloading a classic West Indies team first)

If I want to update a team already in the game (e.g. get some real IPL team names, players and kits), how do I do this? Is it doable via a single download, or one for each team, or one for each team name, each team kit etc. ?

If I update some of the teams in the game, how will this affect my career saves? Will they get updated or is it too late now the careers have started?

Any advice appreciated.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
just to clarify I don’t get outfield catches...

but I don’t have to last ball smash at all!

I don’t have the last ball boundary issue at all either. I remember it being there I think at the beginning of AC and it was so frustrating.

I definitely also don’t have the AI hitting a boundary every over, and I get a reasonable amount of maidens. I don’t tend to have super aggressive fields, though i certainly attack and will leave gaps.

gideon_swrd

Club Captain
On the switch, with the latest version (1.0.6), have others experienced the issue that when playing under lights and batting, the view that shows the running between the wickets does not show any players (only shows the wickets at each end). This makes batting basically impossible. Any ideas?

Sahil70

Club Captain

It's where I would like to see batting more focussed on each player and with each team displaying varied approaches; different responses to early wickets. Some players will dig in and scrap, some players will try to counter attack, some will just play their normal game. You get early wickets and it all too often seems to be a rebuilding phase. I swear number 9 is the strongest batting position I come up against

You're right. I am getting pretty much the same format in every test with AI batting. Start at a steady pace then bang the boundary hitting every over . The batsman doesn't necessarily have a high strike rate, but their innings ends up with a very high boundary count. They might make 50 off 120 balls for eg. but that 50 will have 10 or 11 fours in it, which makes it look really unnatural especially if it happens more often than not.

Also batting wise, player or AI , it feels like it makes not much difference whether its a batsman or bowler, they have the same batting ability.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
You're right. I am getting pretty much the same format in every test with AI batting. Start at a steady pace then bang the boundary hitting every over . The batsman doesn't necessarily have a high strike rate, but their innings ends up with a very high boundary count. They might make 50 off 120 balls for eg. but that 50 will have 10 or 11 fours in it, which makes it look really unnatural especially if it happens more often than not.

Also batting wise, player or AI , it feels like it makes not much difference whether its a batsman or bowler, they have the same batting ability.
Are you on Legend difficulty?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I would like some general advice about custom teams (and custom kits). Apologies if this is the wrong thread (I had a look for something more relevant and checked the FAQ).

When you download a custom team, do they get created as a separate entity, or do they overwrite a team already in the game? (I was thinking of downloading a classic West Indies team first)

If I want to update a team already in the game (e.g. get some real IPL team names, players and kits), how do I do this? Is it doable via a single download, or one for each team, or one for each team name, each team kit etc. ?

If I update some of the teams in the game, how will this affect my career saves? Will they get updated or is it too late now the careers have started?

Any advice appreciated.
Custom teams will be seperate entities.

This video by @passwordistaco will show you how to get IPL teams, same process should work for other teams. They do have to be done one team at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread