Cricket 19 General Discussion

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Bowling is truly a chore and frustration in this game especially in the shorter formats. Just had a game where I bowled in both innings. It isn't that bad in the first innings but becomes really obvious in the second as to how the AI is scripted. Deliveries that are landed with the green input perfectly fly for sixes just because they are the ones in the last two balls while similar deliveries length and type wise but with average input are not even close to being punished because the AI has already hit the boundary or it is too early in the over (I don't mind the AI taking the safe option but come on, surely you would at least sneak a single in that case?). There is a real lack of feedback as to what the player is supposed to do. Am I supposed to bowl full length and try to tempt the batsman into an outfield catch? Or should I go for the back of length/short ball stuff?

The worst example came up in that particular game though. Eventually I figured out that bouncer after bouncer ensured that the AI wouldn't be able to keep up with run-rate script and voila, it was left to score 61 runs from 12 balls. I gave the leg-spinner an over now curious as to what will happen as I expected the AI to score a lot more to try and get back within the script's range. And what happened? Matt Parkinson conceded 31 runs which included five sixes. The only ball that didn't fly for a six was a switch-hit that I've never seen the AI execute correctly (a bug maybe?). None of these where the type of shots where your fielder oversteps on the rope, all where proper sixes well into the crowd. And in the next over, 20 runs are conceded as I mixed up a couple of deliveries. Is this impossible? Certainly not. But is it unrealistic for Arron Lilley (who was chilling at a strike-rate of 120ish) and a newly arrived David Willey, as good as they are as hitters to chase down nearly 61 runs in two overs? Probably yes, it is not very realistic.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Bowling is truly a chore and frustration in this game especially in the shorter formats. Just had a game where I bowled in both innings. It isn't that bad in the first innings but becomes really obvious in the second as to how the AI is scripted. Deliveries that are landed with the green input perfectly fly for sixes just because they are the ones in the last two balls while similar deliveries length and type wise but with average input are not even close to being punished because the AI has already hit the boundary or it is too early in the over (I don't mind the AI taking the safe option but come on, surely you would at least sneak a single in that case?). There is a real lack of feedback as to what the player is supposed to do. Am I supposed to bowl full length and try to tempt the batsman into an outfield catch? Or should I go for the back of length/short ball stuff?
I'm so glad I started a second account to post my thoughts all over again. :spy

--

I think you can view feedback you get for bowling is not exactly the most helpful. It's about jump and release and the skill of your controller input. IRL you could bowl the perfect delivery and get hit for six and bowl the worst delivery and get a wicket. Certainly I feel there is a problem of genuine substance in terms of feedback. You might technically be perfect but if the line or length you bowl is rubbish then the AI should punish that regardless. As a result, my opinion is, it is very hard to formulate a tactic that, in the context of the video game, makes sense. You can do things that teams or bowlers would do in the real world, but that's no guarantee those tactics will work in the game's world.

So, the feedback is how you play the game not how you play cricket - if that makes sense.

For me it links to what you posted about in the suggestions thread - perks being preferences, weaknesses etc - if you can pull up a profile of the opposition batsman, bowler and even fielders (speed, throwing power ?) and see some information about where their strengths, weaknesses and preferences are you can then formulate an actual plan.

Whether it was confirmation bias or an actual good feature of gameplay in the original DBC game, the skills were based around front foot, back foot, straight bat and cross bat (leg side and off side too, I think). Using this I would decide the line and length because I'm looking to hit that weakness. Since the skills changed you will often end up with the only real information you're given being they have a weakness to Special Shots (it's my favourite example) - how do you bowl to someone who has that weakness? That's not to say you couldn't target other shots but with some you're kind of screwed. If all you know about Alastair Cook is that he is not good at the ramp shot then you're going to be stuck for ideas because he probably isn't going to be playing on anyway.

Data analysis is huge part of the modern game. I'd like to see something done to use that part of strategising and planning brought into the game game so you can use information to come up with plans that might be work.

Last edited:

khan31

International Coach
Is there a specific reason why there aren't any user-made mods or patches in these cricket games on the PC like there used to be with the EA cricket series?

I get the academy is there to be used but it is very limited. We used to have people making their own player faces / kits / bats etc which could be patched into the game, and quite frankly they were brilliant

Users who are viewing this thread