Cricket 19 General Discussion

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I appreciate that, but at what cost and to how many consumers? The scale of FIFA and PES is incomparable - With Cricket you have to fight your battles very carefully and your best marketing tools are not necessarily the traditional ones. The anticipation element doesn't really do you many favours: pre-orders are traditionally a tiny proportion of sales. Best to keep powder dry and use every cent available in promoting a finished, brilliant and "available to buy now" game IMO.

Especially given the hugely-important-to-your-key-markets series that doesn't start for another 4 months - That's my biggest concern about this one: the release timing is very odd.

Is it possible there's additional licenses (not necessarily the world cup, but at least some other international teams) that are being held back but justify the earlier release?

Alberts

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I appreciate that, but at what cost and to how many consumers? The scale of FIFA and PES is incomparable - With Cricket you have to fight your battles very carefully and your best marketing tools are not necessarily the traditional ones. The anticipation element doesn't really do you many favours: pre-orders are traditionally a tiny proportion of sales. Best to keep powder dry and use every cent available in promoting a finished, brilliant and "available to buy now" game IMO.

Especially given the hugely-important-to-your-key-markets series that doesn't start for another 4 months - That's my biggest concern about this one: the release timing is very odd.

Releasing more info than virtually nothing but a few short "cinematic" trailers shouldn't be a tall order if there is actually a game in a state capable of being tested before release.

Word of mouth is a key part of moving a game like this, and to be blunt, BigAnt's reputation has been on the decline for years in the circles I know. There's only so many times that they can go with the "it's our first time" line, regardless of whether they now just go with renaming the series every iteration.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Is it possible there's additional licenses (not necessarily the world cup, but at least some other international teams) that are being held back but justify the earlier release?

I mean, I guess that's the justification - If Australia or England go well in the World Cup that could be worth the early release.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I really do think they might have some surprises for us up their sleeves. I am sure they will not have WC license since teams can change up until May 23rd and in that scenario in this current day of Social Media something would have leaked. Also even if Ashes starts 4 months later, WC is a much bigger market to hop on. You have 10 teams and sports fan would definitely hop on to it.

Reactions: DAP

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I really hate pointing out the bleeding obvious, I really do.. something about it deeply disturbs me and gives me very little motivation to post on this forum ever again.. but I will just this last time in the hope it doesn’t fall on deaf ears.. anyways I will simply counter your argument (healthy debate) with “I think the review scores for each game, speak for themselves”.

But onto more pressing issues.. the kind that is bleedingly obvious, I fired up AC for the first time in a little while (about 12 months to be truthful), started the game up unpatched while it loaded and was forced to play with classic controls (left stick right stick) and the coloured circle length indicator.. Anyway I got through about an hour of playtime at the Gabba (batting) and finished at 5/100, and my first impressions were how seemingly random and scripted my dismissals seemed to be... bar the exception of David Warner’s snick to second slip to a half volley outside off early in his innings..

Anyways after this little play test my patch was loaded and I was prompted to install, I obliged and was very soon restarting the game up to be greeted by the “select batting and bowling controls menu” a choice between “standard” “classic” or “custom”, I surely choose standard as it was what I was used to before I lent the game to my younger brother some 12 months ago.. anyways a few clicks of the my trusty old red PS4 remote and I was immediately back out in the middle of the Gabba (batting)..

Immediately my focus was on the field radar on the top right corner of my tv screen where there was a very intuitive description of what each button on the face of my PS4 remote was for, square for “precision” x for “attacking” circle for “aggressive” and triangle for “defensive”, I quickly summarised a foolproof batting tactic for each batter of getting through the early stages of there innings with defensive and precision shots (square and triangle only) before expanding to more attacking and aggressive shots (x and circle) later on, anyways this plan was nearing fruition when I noticed Stuart broad was giving me quite a few juicy half volleys outside off which I wasn’t fully capitalising on using x (attacking) so I decided to that I had earned the right to use my tactically reserved special boundary hitting circle button (aggressive) anyways in comes old Stuart broad with that same retarded “I’m about to bowl a half volley outside off , use your circle button this time face” and so I duly obliged only for my very own digital play version of Davey Warner to literally Lollipop a catch to regulation cover much to my bewilderment.. and I thought long and hard, took a deep breath, and stopped breathing for 33 whole seconds and continued to be confused to why the circle button (aggressive) had been so easily lollipopped to cover without even the slightest hint of aggression that I had tactically anticipated, anyways as it turns out the circle button (aggressive) is the loft button not the aggressive ground shot I was anticipating and that’s very frustrating 1) because there is obviously a button combination that would of executed the “aggressive ground shot” I was expecting, and 2) because even if there is another bottom combination I’m not familiar with just yet, it would of felt a lot more intuitive if it was indeed the circle button.

Anyways back to @Alberts argument that each game has been worse or buggier than dbc 14. Can you explain how a game like dbc 14 without a length indicator slider or any intuitive feedback to explain a dismissal? or can you explain why it seemed nicking was completely random and/or scripted? Or why it seemed any wicket you got while bowling or batting seemed completely scripted and/or random? Do you remember superfielders? Do you remember any of the animations? Do you remember being able to play backfoot drive to a full ball? Or a front foot shot to a short ball?

If you don’t remember any of these and/or they don’t seem like big things to you.. then I’m diagnosing you with a bad case of nostalgia! because Ashes cricket and dbc 17 remedied all these things straight out of the box, without patches! yeah they may have had a few rough edges here and there but were fixed with patches! And they were certainly better games over there predecessors visually and tactically.

Each game has improved and I have no doubt they will refine and add to this upcoming ashes game so that it’s better than the last one (which is actually pretty tweaking good) hence the review scores.

Edited by Dutch: it's not a crime to at least try and make it readable!
This is one of the best counters I have read in recent times. Both the people here represent what the forum is, a place to discuss one's Point Of View.

Personally I had a lot of hours in on my steam on both DBC14 (375 Hours) and DBC17 (163 Hours), and for Ashes Cricket it must be near DBC14 (PS4 doesn't have playtime stats). Enjoyed both in different ways, in fact I got 2 copies of DBC17, for both PS4 and PC. DBC17 had so many awesome things, one of them being the new career mode, which was later further refined in AC.
Only game that I've bought if BA that I have not enjoyed, in cricket, is Big Bash Boom. I even enjoyed AO Tennis.

Last edited:

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India

Eerily near the CWC 2019, plus they specifically mention a 'World Championship Mode' in the description of the game.

Of Course they're not equipped with all the licences, but we could be in for a surprise...

Also ECB is also responsible as hosts of this year CWC, just too convenient everything.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I mean, I guess that's the justification - If Australia or England go well in the World Cup that could be worth the early release.
Releasing early means it has more time in the shop window. Hardcore cricket game fans are likely to pick it up earlier. But more casual cricket fans are perhaps likely to pick it up when cricket has more exposure. England is probably the biggest market for consoles, and with a real chance of a world cup and Ashes double, with the game being out already impulse buys are probably more likely than when games have come out in December over here.

Reactions: DAP

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Releasing early means it has more time in the shop window. Hardcore cricket game fans are likely to pick it up earlier. But more casual cricket fans are perhaps likely to pick it up when cricket has more exposure. England is probably the biggest market for consoles, and with a real chance of a world cup and Ashes double, with the game being out already impulse buys are probably more likely than when games have come out in December over here.
That's true, for India, the people that would want to play it is super high. However, the ones who would pay the price are a few. Plus, console penetration is low and a bunch of other things.

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
May be something is planned for official launch event by ECB in England.
That of course, and the whole England Squad playing the World Cup is also back in England, might see a similar thing with one English player to what they used Maxwell for.

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I really do think they might have some surprises for us up their sleeves. I am sure they will not have WC license since teams can change up until May 23rd and in that scenario in this current day of Social Media something would have leaked. Also even if Ashes starts 4 months later, WC is a much bigger market to hop on. You have 10 teams and sports fan would definitely hop on to it.
By your logic here, it shouldn't be an Ashes Game, since the squads for Ashes have not been announced as well.

Beginning to realise what @Chief meant by the release date being odd...

Edit:
Here's the link - https://www.cricket.com.au/news/aus...ld-cup-paine-head-patterson-harris/2019-03-16

Users who are viewing this thread