Cricket 19 vs Ashes Cricket

santana1026

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
ive been playing cricket 19 on PS4 pro for around 2 months now and I’m really enjoying the game.

I have just picked up ashes cricket for my Xbox one x through game pass and it feels to me a much more polished game, yes the graphics look better as it’s one x enhanced with hdr but it also has noticeably less frame stutters and smoother gameplay.

Is this because cricket 19 is only on the PS4 pro as compared the the one x or will more patches sort this out.
W
I have been playing Ashes Cricket since i bought it at the beginning of the summer in May.
Its been over 150 hours and have totally enjoyed it.
The gameplay is fantastic, i stick to standard controls - i cant seem to control the bwolwers in classic controls for some reason.
Bowling and Batting is an enjoyable experience.
Love the customization options. I always play regional/state teams or club teams and dont play international teams. Creating your own leagues with teams from all around the world is super fun!

Am sure the Cricket 19 gameplay would be better tuned.

The only issue for me in Ashes Cricket is AI. While bowling the AI changes fields regularly but not without a plan. It does not bowl according to a plan.
While batting the AI does nor care about setting a target nor has a plan while chasing.
All teams play the same style.

Have they improved the AI in Cricket 19?
Do you feel a challenge while chasing or defending a total?

I would also like to see an implementation of a team Id concept- where every team has its own tactical style, which ensures every team AI behaves differently. This was implemented brilliantly in Pro Evolution Soccer in 2017 - a game i play a lot (An AI system ruthlessly removed from PES 18, 19 - to promote their online garbage!).
I feel Cricket games needs various tactical systems used by different teams, which really takes player experience and replay ability to another level.
AI, perhaps is the hardest aspect of game programming, we hope Big ANT keeps at it and we get a game with fantastic AI someday.

I'm still enjoying Ashes so will get Cricket 19 next summer, hopefully with some patches out.

All of us have to thank Big Ant for giving us these cricket games we all enjoy!
Well said mate...19 is better becuase of the AI ..that's it

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Rather than start a new thread, I'll boot this one up as it basically covers what I was going to ask the regular players round here.

After watching a lot more real cricket in the last few months, I've drifted back to Ashes Cricket to scratch my cricket gaming itch. It's been a good 18 months since I last played as well, quite the blast from the past!

Ashes isn't without its limitations (some of which are mentioned in this old thread already), but it is still fairly solid in my opinion, if you can look past the odd bug or irritation that can surface from time to time.

I mainly play Test matches, don't mind ODI and T20s (but they're not my preference), and I only play offline using international teams. I've played career but it never really grabbed me, so I tend to just play my own Test series.

My question is this: if I can pick Cricket 19 up for say, a tenner, is it an upgrade? What are the major improvements, or possibly downgrades as well if something has gone backwards since Ashes Cricket?

This thread looks to be pretty old, no doubt there's been a fair few patches in the last 18 months, so what's the current state of the game?

Thanks guys!

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Rather than start a new thread, I'll boot this one up as it basically covers what I was going to ask the regular players round here.

After watching a lot more real cricket in the last few months, I've drifted back to Ashes Cricket to scratch my cricket gaming itch. It's been a good 18 months since I last played as well, quite the blast from the past!

Ashes isn't without its limitations (some of which are mentioned in this old thread already), but it is still fairly solid in my opinion, if you can look past the odd bug or irritation that can surface from time to time.

I mainly play Test matches, don't mind ODI and T20s (but they're not my preference), and I only play offline using international teams. I've played career but it never really grabbed me, so I tend to just play my own Test series.

My question is this: if I can pick Cricket 19 up for say, a tenner, is it an upgrade? What are the major improvements, or possibly downgrades as well if something has gone backwards since Ashes Cricket?

This thread looks to be pretty old, no doubt there's been a fair few patches in the last 18 months, so what's the current state of the game?

Thanks guys!
My few takeaways between the two:

Batting and bowling is quite better than ashes, way more fluid. Fielding hasn't changed since Ashes, and its quite glaring with the improved batting and bowling.

Playface feature - While its not perfect, the fact that most players from most countries and domestic teams have some sort of play face is fantastic compared to sculpted look-a-likes in Ashes. While its not perfect its way better than the default custom ones.

Physics - way more edges, which is good, a few too many inside edges (can reduce effect in custom sliders but doesn't fix it completely).

Lighting is better in general, textures are a bit sharper and some minor improvements like mini cutscenes between balls - while not significant they do add a subtle nicety to the game.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
My few takeaways between the two:

Batting and bowling is quite better than ashes, way more fluid. Fielding hasn't changed since Ashes, and its quite glaring with the improved batting and bowling.

Playface feature - While its not perfect, the fact that most players from most countries and domestic teams have some sort of play face is fantastic compared to sculpted look-a-likes in Ashes. While its not perfect its way better than the default custom ones.

Physics - way more edges, which is good, a few too many inside edges (can reduce effect in custom sliders but doesn't fix it completely).

Lighting is better in general, textures are a bit sharper and some minor improvements like mini cutscenes between balls - while not significant they do add a subtle nicety to the game.
Sounds like a pretty reasonable overview.

Any real changes to the game modes? I've had a glance through a few of the threads that talk about perks, so I've seen that addition as well.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia

Any real changes to the game modes? I've had a glance through a few of the threads that talk about perks, so I've seen that addition as well.
Perks add depth compared to Ashes, I only play career mode so I can't attest to other modes, but I enjoy it in bursts these days. Personally, I would wait and save a bit more as the next cricket is more than likely November-December this year.

D

Dutch

oooh!! Does this might mean you could be updating your pitch settings for Cricket 19?

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Perks add depth compared to Ashes, I only play career mode so I can't attest to other modes, but I enjoy it in bursts these days. Personally, I would wait and save a bit more as the next cricket is more than likely November-December this year.
Has there been any word or confirmation that a new game might be coming? I saw the news that BA had been bought, so that's good news hopefully.
oooh!! Does this might mean you could be updating your pitch settings for Cricket 19?
Well, if I do get the game then possibly! I'd imagine someone must have tried plugging the Ashes sliders into 19, surely? Any good?

Interestingly, as soon as I booted Ashes up again to play India (me) in Australia (AI) and semi-replicate the 1st test in Adelaide, I used the sliders from that topic. So far so good, the pitch is pretty batter friendly on day 1, quick and bouncy and only a bit of turn, but I can already see the scuff marks from the seamers that should get more interesting as the match wears on (har har har!)

Good to see you're still around as well Dutch! :clap

D

Dutch

Has there been any word or confirmation that a new game might be coming? I saw the news that BA had been bought, so that's good news hopefully.

Well, if I do get the game then possibly! I'd imagine someone must have tried plugging the Ashes sliders into 19, surely? Any good?

Interestingly, as soon as I booted Ashes up again to play India (me) in Australia (AI) and semi-replicate the 1st test in Adelaide, I used the sliders from that topic. So far so good, the pitch is pretty batter friendly on day 1, quick and bouncy and only a bit of turn, but I can already see the scuff marks from the seamers that should get more interesting as the match wears on (har har har!)

Mate I use your sliders religiously! Even have the Around The World in 80 Pitches as a favourite! Would love to see what you can do with the Cricket 19 sliders as there are a lot more possibilities and there has been a bit more work done on them in the background to make them more effective.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia

Pretty much all but confirmed, every ashes they release a new game however, covid may cause a delay in release. I don't think the recent purchase of BA will affect this upcoming cricket game, perhaps the one after, whenever that will be (doing rugby and tennis now also).

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Mate I use your sliders religiously! Even have the Around The World in 80 Pitches as a favourite! Would love to see what you can do with the Cricket 19 sliders as there are a lot more possibilities and there has been a bit more work done on them in the background to make them more effective.
This makes me very happy indeed. To say I must have made them about what, 2 years ago? And they still have use now. That's awesome :)

I saw someone reference them in the general discussion thread the other day, thought that was just a one off!

Have you made some tweaks to the slides based on stuff you've found?

D

Dutch

This makes me very happy indeed. To say I must have made them about what, 2 years ago? And they still have use now. That's awesome :)

I saw someone reference them in the general discussion thread the other day, thought that was just a one off!

Have you made some tweaks to the slides based on stuff you've found?
Unfortunately I am lazy AF and rely on good souls like yourself to do the hard work :p

@wasteyouryouth did make some suggestions I believe about pitch friction if I remember correctly?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Erm.

I think it was to do with pitch friction being reduced when I think it would be better to go up - to lower bounce and increase spin.

On the whole there are some noticeable differences with pitch types. The 'default' settings are different and changes have been made. So I'm skeptical that old settings will work but I've not really explored it. In general I like the idea of having specific pitches for each country, maybe some more specifics. But I certainly don't have the discipline/patience/memory to change settings every day of a match.

I don't necessarily think they are clear cut or always what you might expect from the descriptions. Green is like bowling on a lawn and when I've expected turn it's not been there. Spin is also far too powerful, I don't know how much this is to do with pitches.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Is there still a run rate issue in cricket 19? From memory on Ashes, if you managed 5 dot balls in a row you could bet the AI would always hit a boundary with the final ball to keep their run rate going no matter what you bowl or where you bowl it.

Hugely frustrating!

Users who are viewing this thread