Cricket 2004 - Negative inspiration

bharath

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
i'll agree with you legend_master.
but if u take the compatibility into accout, openGL is the best.
Any way we will decide this matter later when we have our programming team in place.
bye.:)

UnderTaker

School Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Oh1 this thing is erally getting very serious....

scatter, i think we should sit back and think on what things this game should have to make it something defferent... i am sure that we should have a very very well planned and designed A.I. which is a mising part in the recent cricket gmes... and to say the playability. we got to make a PES which is better than FiFa-series . so many hav said that the feel of playing PES is uncomparable with FIFA games. i havent played it yet though... we got to bring such a fell into this one..

and also, i think, we need a really very much experienced guys as the Lead programmer and lead artist..

Best of luck mate... we r all with u....

sriram k

School Cricketer
Heres another volunteer...
My knowledge is pretty restricted...Intermediate VB, a bit of C++ and mfc and just trying to learn Diretx/open gl....If I can be useful in any way then count me in.

I started a similar topic a long time back...
http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=270
Nice to see the idea coming up again :)

I also made a couple of cricket games in vb.Nothing much to write abt basic simming stuff so maybe I can help with the stats part ...

have a look at :
www.cricketweb.net/tc
A simulation game with some tourneys aand the WC...

www.cricketweb.net/worldclubcricket
This is a PBEM for which I wrote the basic match engine and transfer market....

Also some editors 4 c2002 and BLC...ppl here mite remember....

Again time mite be a limiting factor I wud be available by feb as well if need be.

Sriram

Last edited:

sriram k

School Cricketer
Originally posted by Scatter

excellent stuff guys. oh and bomber it isn't "only research." it is a vital part of the game. i do not think it will be possible for us to have too many researchers. all of your raised hands are also duly noted. we really will need a lot of data for this game, especially for smaller nations like bangladesh, and the non test playing associate member countries (I hope that signals a few things to everyone. namely, the statistical depth we intend to employ, the scope of the game, and the fact that player stats will actually mean something in this game... the list goes on. and the research is crucial.) at this point, i have no idea how the data will be collated, or in what manner it needs to be stored. like everything else, we need to sort out the c++ programmers so as we have an idea on such details.

I have a couple of ideas abt formats tht cud be used for storing of stats/player abilities.In fact I have it all ready in Vb but I guess it shudnt be too dufficult to port it to C++.

does anyone have any info regarding this?

Yep its a simulation game thts being made by glenn.
Official site of the game :
http://www.gio.neosurge.net/~wcm/index.php

don't need the lawyer in you just yet, but i'm hoping you might have a bit of a passing interest in sociology. i really need to know if in peoples opinions there is a strong games market in india (a legitimate one - not illegal stuff). one of the selling points to publishers if i have to resort to whoring myself around will be the fact that cricket is a religion in the worlds second most populist nation. that fact is totally useless to me if not many people actually own a computer. any info would be great, and any substantive stats on the matter would be sublime (especially if they were helpful!!! :D ). and the whoring process will begin surprisingly early in the process. once the full team is in place, the whoring starts... :D if only to get a feel for what will be required by a publisher or to generate some interest (eg "yeah i'm interested, but i need to see some of the game first" etc), or hell, we might even get full on lucky.

Hmm it becomes a sensitive topic when it comes to Indian gaming and piracy.My 2 cents on this matter is that a success of a cricket game in India wud depend as much on pricing as on anything else.If u develop even an average cricket game and release it 4 anything less than 1000 indian rupees then rest assured it will sell well.since this isnt an out and out commercial venture I think prices would be pretty ok and hence shud be no problem with regards to the Indian market.
As far as publishing goes my knowledge is limited but again if its cricket then it shud be no problem getting a publisher...I

as i said, we can never have too many researchers, so anyone who wants to help in that regard, as well as anything else, feel free to put your hand up.

With regards to ppl working on the project I think this news shud be carried over to other forums as well.there are a couple of forums I know which cater to cricket gaming in general maybe such a topic in those cud help to rope in more programmers/grapic artists/researchers...

See the forums at
www.cricketweb.net
www.cricketgames.com

Hope this info helps.

Sriram

jonah

International Coach
Hi Sriram, long time no see on these boards. Hope you're keeping well:) .

sriram k

School Cricketer
Originally posted by jonah
Hi Sriram, long time no see on these boards. Hope you're keeping well:) .

Yep doing fine...just busy with uni 4 a while...
Besides c2k4 wudnt run on my ol 810 :(...so dint wanna get depressed seein every1 else playin it....

Sriram

Scatter

Club Cricketer
Originally posted by UnderTaker
Oh1 this thing is erally getting very serious....

scatter, i think we should sit back and think on what things this game should have to make it something defferent... i am sure that we should have a very very well planned and designed A.I. which is a mising part in the recent cricket gmes... and to say the playability. we got to make a PES which is better than FiFa-series . so many hav said that the feel of playing PES is uncomparable with FIFA games. i havent played it yet though... we got to bring such a fell into this one..

and also, i think, we need a really very much experienced guys as the Lead programmer and lead artist..

Best of luck mate... we r all with u....
planning is paramount. i am currently putting the finishing touces to a synopsis document outling just about every detail of the game - it is going to be over 15 pages long, and it will evolve. like i said, planning is paramount.

the ai is a crucial part of the game. when you look past the bugs in cricket 2004, the next major failing is most certainly the AI. take the bowling for example. it just feels very random. the AI setting a 6-3 field and then bowling four balls down leg side :confused:

sriram - thanks for the info. will get back to you about the database storage when i know more.

good to see that WCM project... it looks like a championship manager for cricket. good stuff after the unfortunate demise of ICC...

Scatter

Club Cricketer
Word is spreading too btw... :D

I got an email this morning from someone who is not a member of these forums as far as I know -

Hi mate

Hope you dont mind me emailing you, i got your email off your profile at
sigames.

Well anyway i know this might be jumping the gun but i know a really good
music producer whose favourite past time is composing music for games! He
does all sorts at the moment he is composing rnb/hiphop beats and has
recently got a couple of record deals with indie labels.

I know he loves doing games music and may be interested in composing
something for you (probably free as well knowing him) but i appreciate with
it being a cricket game you may want something different. Maybe he could
help out with sound affects etc...

What do you think? I can give you his email so you can get in direct
contact with him if you think it sounds a good idea.

Great project you have got started here mate, i really hope you can see it
through it has a vast amount of potential.

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
embracing the online community is the best thing developers can do IMHO - this game's gonna be bril

crick4life

International Cricketer
Scatter, no problems with the 3D modelling or XML. I have few ideas about sound and effects too. I guess its dynamic but not sure if we can get it into the game. I have other skills (currently my job) like data flows, project management, logic design and stuff. Anytime you need my help let me know. I think all of us looking forward to getting involved should get on messenger sometime and discuss stuff a bit more.

SteveG

Club Cricketer
There is going to be a HUGE wishlist for this project...that will need a team of people alone to sort them out LOL

Scatter

Club Cricketer
ravi - yeah mate, we need to have a chat for sure.

steve - for fairly obvious reasons i cannot post my synopsis document. i really do believe i have the deisgn element of a very good cricket game in place that incorporates a lot of what people have wanted to see in a cricket game for a long time. i will however in the not too distant future post a projected features list of some type. with the aim of the project being to make the game good enough to publish i will need to consider the legal ramifications when posting things like that though. :(

SteveG

Club Cricketer
Scatter - Totally understand. I have always based my ideal cricket game around sims such as ICC2002 (and its predecessors) and International Test Cricket because of their realistic and detailed approach to calculating ball-by-ball results. Pretty graphics are wonderful and give you that great feeling of 'actually' being there, but its the chance to steer a young player/s through an entire career that makes a game playable for a long time. If ICC2002 had been supplied with a player editor and a few pretty graphics (gamewise, not interface-wise) then it would have been near perfect. We have the chance to do just that.

Scatter

Club Cricketer
there is a boundary - no pun ;) - to be wary of though. if you incorporate too heavy a managerial element you lose focus of what you are trying do on the action side of things. make the managerial element too light, and it seems superficial, almost like an afterthought.

thankfully, your average cricket anorak like you and i make that boundary slightly less of an issue. ever meet a cricket fan who isn't interested in the ins and outs and statistical side of the game? we have a fair bit of leeway in regards to piling on the attention to detail, but there will always be that boundary, where if you cross it, the core element of your game is simply lost beneath a pile of stats, numbers, and managerial decisions...

SteveG

Club Cricketer
Yes, I agree. There is always a risk of making a game so convoluted with stats that the real gameplay is pushed to one side or vice-versa. In many games the development time is limited and therefore many features are degraded because of this. Let's face it software companies are in business to make money and budgets and schedules must be kept. But, on the subject of the features in a cricket game, there need not be this idea of Simulations vs. Arcade games. We all love stats, but we also love pulling a short-pitched ball to the mid-wicket boundary...the beauty of this project is that it is possible to do both without having to compromise too much.

Users who are viewing this thread