Cricket 22 General Discussion thread (Use bug report thread for issues/bugs/crashes | Patch notes in first post)

Wavelberry

International Cricketer
Can anyone help me out, there’s something I’m really struggling with...

how many types of leave are there in cricket?

I would say front foot & back foot. But if you want to be pedantic I could throw up any random number and justify it. As an example I could say "fall back on your ass trying to evade a bouncer", or "running away to square leg" are legitimate leaves too :D

Nah, you're wrong. There are two. A good leave and one where you're a tweaking idiot and let the ball hit the stumps. Which happens as often as a good leave so I'm sure they must mention it.

gkvarma18

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Match type designer is excellent feature. We can change ball of our choice Kookaburra or Duke, ball color from light red to dark red, blue, yellow or pink. Stumps types, Everything is there.

Ken Tremendous

County Cricketer
@Langeveldt @blockerdave 3 outfield catches missed.

1 pull shot kind looking thing towards short mid wicket.. let it hit him in the face..

1 lofted drive down the ground… let it hit him in the face…

1 clip of the legs down to fine leg… let it hit him in the face..

:)
Nice to see the patch note previously of "improved chances of AI not dropping catches" has had an effect then...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
@zimrahil do you know what types of files the gameplay is under? What are the reasons/barriers we can't breakthrough the gameplay files? How did @francobaldo1 manage to manipulate edge frequency?

Also interesting @cricket_online again, do you know why they don't allow the community to work on the game... people would literally do it for free

I can think of 3 and I'm sure there would be more...

1. Providing support for the game would be an issue, i.e. someone downloads an "extension" and the game stops working or an issue creeps in. Where do you draw the line between what Big Ant supports and what they don't. And an even bigger challenge - how do you manage the expectations and communicate the same with your consumers.

2. How do you manage licensing (including legal contracts etc.) & put guardrails around it? Personally I'm an open source guy and against licensing of any kind. I would prefer Big Ant, or any developer, stay away from official licensing else you end up with constraints which we're seeing right now, i.e. how to update licensed players & content. Sooner or later you'll end up with an outdated product which will need support from developer.

3. If dev/publishers open up the game, it increases the shelf life of a product which is bad for business. Imagine if Cricket 19 had no major issues, i.e. community had fixed fielding, field sets and other major bug-bears. Wouldn't that have reduced the potential consumer base and demand for Cricket 22?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pat

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@zimrahil do you know what types of files the gameplay is under? What are the reasons/barriers we can't breakthrough the gameplay files? How did @francobaldo1 manage to manipulate edge frequency?

Also interesting @cricket_online again, do you know why they don't allow the community to work on the game... people would literally do it for free
I have no idea sadly - I think BA assisted @francobaldo1 with DBC 14, I think we would need this to happen again to get best results now.

Little Timmy

Little Timmy
Profile Flag
England
Match type designer is excellent feature. We can change ball of our choice Kookaburra or Duke, ball color from light red to dark red, blue, yellow or pink. Stumps types, Everything is there.
Yeah, it’s great… but at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I do hope that Competition Designer makes a return!

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Nah, you're wrong. There are two. A good leave and one where you're a tweaking idiot and let the ball hit the stumps. Which happens as often as a good leave so I'm sure they must mention it.

My personal favorite...

Slug1793

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Yeah, it’s great… but at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I do hope that Competition Designer makes a return!
There is a ‘type’ of competition designer in there, I’ve just set up a 2 match test series NZ v WI

Seems different to C19, possibly not as in depth, but was definitely there

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Zim, it's quite disheartening and deflating to look back and see the current state of cricket gaming. I recall playing Brian Lara 2005 (BLIC 2005) and thinking that if Codemasters could build on that version, we will have a great game on our hands. Felt the same way with EA 2007 which introduced "century stick" controls for the first time and I loved it. I liked how Ashes Cricket 09 (AC09) played, and felt the same way with DBC 14.

And here we are in 2021 in a 6th iteration of a series, surely enough time one would imagine to sort out things, and we're still asking about nailing the basics. We still don't have a truly "360 degree" batting, fielding & field sets have been a bane of cricket games since forever, and nailing AI is something almost no developer has come close to achieving.

IMO the best option is, as you've said, to go for crowd-sourcing similar to community sharing for creations in Big Ant, but to take it to another level. Allow users the ability to create & pick their own fields for AI (you can't do so as there's no way to disable OOB fields which AI continues to pick), or enable AI to be scripted via open APIs/scripts similar to what FrancoBaldo did in DBC 14. The sooner game developers realize that community development is the way to go, sooner we'll get to a place where we have the basics nailed.
Yeah I would buy the game and find time late evenings to edit files if they became available. I think it was mainly protecting IP etc as to why this has never happened?

As a consumer what you state makes perfect sense to me, maybe I would see it differently as a developer?

when admittedly younger I spent hours editing config files and fields and I had so much much playing. I did make new default fields for DBC 17 (I think?) and thought they were a great improvement (obvs :p) but for whatever reason they never made it to final release

Users who are viewing this thread