Cricket 22 General Impressions

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
I am using it as I did in C19, but there is no L1 R1 on any overlay screens, so i assume it was removed...

Rob Stanworth

Club Captain
Is anyone playing it on the old Xbox One? I think it looks pretty good on PS5/Xbox Series S/X but keen to see what it looks like on an Xbox One before parting with £50 for a digital download...

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Sounds like it'll be a case of watch and wait with this one. There are clearly quite a few borderline gamebreaking issues. Do Big Ant ever do sales? I waited for ages for Cricket 19 to come down and it never did so eventually I took the plunge and bought it at full price... about a month before Cricket 22 was announced! D'oh!!!!!!

Something that bugs me going by the videos I've seen is the essential sound of leather on willow just sounds off to me, especially the perfectly timed shot sound. It reminds me of being at Wimbledon...

If there's one sound you have got to nail in your cricket game, it's that one. Compare that with the ringing "thwack" you heard in the recent World Cup. Anyone agree or am I just being ultra fussy? Audio in games is very important to me. Maybe the modders can sort stuff like that down the line, although it sounds as though that's the least of the problems...

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
Sounds like it'll be a case of watch and wait with this one. There are clearly quite a few borderline gamebreaking issues. Do Big Ant ever do sales? I waited for ages for Cricket 19 to come down and it never did so eventually I took the plunge and bought it at full price... about a month before Cricket 22 was announced! D'oh!!!!!!

Something that bugs me going by the videos I've seen is the essential sound of leather on willow just sounds off to me, especially the perfectly timed shot sound. It reminds me of being at Wimbledon...

If there's one sound you have got to nail in your cricket game, it's that one. Compare that with the ringing "thwack" you heard in the recent World Cup. Anyone agree or am I just being ultra fussy? Audio in games is very important to me. Maybe the modders can sort stuff like that down the line, although it sounds as though that's the least of the problems...
What makes the audio worse is the sounds batting in the Nets Challenge sounded almost perfect. One step forward, three steps back

Believe

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Gotta say, my first impressions aren't great. I started a career (played 1 match of each type) and a ODI between England and Aus. I can deal with HUD issues, and most graphical issues (if they don't affect the actual gameplay) so I'll only mention the things that make the actual game hard to play/enjoy.

-First and main thing, is the striker taking forever to leave their crease for a run. Not just off the back foot (Cricket19 had this feature, and I didn't mind it, as it IS harder to start sprinting after playing a hook) but off the front foot also. It makes taking singles to anywhere inside the ring almost impossible.
-Aerial shots. Now, this could just be me getting used to new timing (I used custom in C19) but about 80% of aerial shots off the front foot, don't go higher than knee-height, even with perfect timing. Back foot aerial shots seem to work better.
-Leaving the ball causes the controller to vibrate, as if I've played a standing reverse-sweep to a bouncer and got hit in the nose.
-Statistics are backwards. After my 3 career matches, I went to check my batting stats. I had none, although my bowling stats were wired. (Batting stats appear in the same columns, but under bowling. So my total runs were my wickets, 4s were 5-fors etc...) It also appears this is the case with all players, not just career mode.

Likely I came across more, but I fully expect a bunch of small things in a new game these days and can cope with most, but those above are the ones that stuck in my head.

There are more issues with graphics etc (Such as doing the reaction test in Career gym, only for my players arms to take on a life of their own and disprove everything we know about angles and range of movement, take THAT Pythagoras.) But I can deal with most minor graphical glitches.

Note: This is all from a batting perspective, I have not bowled yet, but will be doing that at some point soon.

Edit: Still havn't bowled, but holy crap I now see what people mean about backfoot shots and running. I hadn't really noticed it, as usually I'd tap it down to third man for an easy single in some space, but I just hit one pretty well out to deep square leg, fielder on the boundary... Striker was run out by miles. Non-striker was home a fraction after I left the crease, due to the time between pressing run and it registering, but also due to the fact I did a complete 360 turn going backwards in my crease before actually setting off for the run. What the hell.

Last edited:

ChrisCricket

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Hi guys, got the game finally, I think game doesn't look as good as I hoped, I noticed stadium creator and tour designer creator have gone, are they coming back soon yeah? If so then no problem. I play on camera Fixed Close, I felt the graphics have gone down since Cricket 19 and I am playing on xbox series x, not sure why that would be case.

Right now I am still hopeful they can fix this tho they deserve time, Cricket 19 was so awesome. One other thing I hope they patch in is , in academy, under Player Information, Manage Associated Teams, it would be nice to view all the team logos they player plays for without clicking into another sub menu, like it was in Cricket 19. I notice a gap below Manage Associated Teams so this could maybe be changed, the other menus look fine to me mostly.

One plus point, nice soundtrack, digging that! Plus like more International Teams, now we just need Cricket 19 creations

Last edited:

Crassus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
One thing I have noticed is that there is a definite deterioration of the pitch as you go through a game. I simmed a test in Jamaica which admittedly only got to day 4 but I screenshotted the pitch on each day and there is a clear difference. Whether it actually has any impact on the game is another matter. I have no idea whether the ball changes or not...

email2niranjan

Club Cricketer
HUMAN BOWLING, 20 OVER FIRST IMPRESSIONS
50 OVER MATCH
ENG(ME) vs
WI

GRAPHICS
So the first thing that stuck out to me was how horrendous the graphics were. The match is on a summers day with clear sky and with my graphic settings maxed (I have pretty good PC) anyway I don't know if it was the TAA or the Bloom or Light Flare settings but I could not see the white ball at all and everything looked so blury. However I did change it from TAA to FXAA and the visibility was quite a bit better as in I could see the ball when it was hit to the outfield. I will tinker further when I can and see if it yields better results.

Apart from the specific graphic settings, I don't know what me and other people are playing or if it's just because of my match conditions but the game still looks pretty bad imo. I was playing Ashes17 yesterday and this looks extremely similar maybe worse, the lighting is almost blinding me its really off and not what I was expecting at all. In fact I've put a picture of the two games and I think AC17 looks better. I doubt this will be improved and I think I'll find playing games on these conditions an eye sore as it is quite distracting to be looking at that constantly.

BOWLING GAMEPLAY & AI BATTING
I've mainly stuck to using the arcade controls as I love having the old circle control, I'm not sure what aftertouch does and I have gotten all 3 main dismissals (lbw, edge behind & bowled). Some edges do seem very random and predetermined, the ones that go to gully area but hey ho it's not a bad problem to have I suppose. I was playing on the wrong difficulty for the majority of the time but when I bumped it to hardest the way the pace of the ball goes through feels really nice. I play on auto-fielding and as people have mentioned it is a bit odd at times and feels like little to no progress has been made since AC17, the same weird buggy stuff is happening from that game (fielder sliding the ball to make it a 4, ball going past fielder etc)

The AI batting I have been impress with feels organic and feels like some pressure when bowling especially when they have a good few overs, I've put the scorecard below. In terms of their shot selection it's doesn't feel like much of an improvement from AC17 tbh, they still do the leg side pull type shot to balls on off on a good/full length and all in all just similar to previous titles but they keep the scoreboard ticking so thats the main thing just mentioning this for people who want a lot more variation. I mean it would be great if they got rid of the back foot cover drive that goes to mid off just very similar to AC17. Long and short of it, it's been fun bowling to them so far and feels like i'll have a good game on my hands.

OVERALL THOUGHTS

Generally speaking I think the game feels very fluid and just fun to get through the overs whilst bowling, seems to be a lot quicker be it transitions or just getting to the next delivery, very happy with this element. The flow of everything feels good to just feels quite polished which isn't the feeling I got from AC17 on release so I'm happy here. I think the bowling animations look beautiful yet to see all of them but Broads is lovely idk what people hated about it, looks very nice in game and one of my favourite actions in real life too, batting animations I'm also yet to see all but they to look similar to previous games but I'm sure theres a few new ones in there.

I may have missed stuff out and will do a video review soon and also post some highlights of some nice moments, for the time being I have some screens below and my "verdict" so far is similar to others, I think I'll get a lot of enjoyment out of this game but I feel it would have been really great if they just nailed some stuff right graphically and gameplay wise.

Cheers!
I have the same feeling with graphics so for... especially the field when the ball travels. It lools too primitive. Wondering if i should change some settings!! Cricket 19 is lot better in this aspect

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One

So finally got time to play the “officially released” game. To be honest I did not feel one ounce of difference. Now I can whole heartedly comment on what I feel since its an officially released game from BigAnt.

License - New Zealand, Ireland and West Indies should be really upset how the licensed stuff has been part of the game. Compared to Australia and England, the player models look shit. Not to mention Kane Williamson goes black and white. Way to prevent racism.

I am 100% sure they have not captured or mocapped those three teams players. I would any day prefer user content over this so called licensed content. Also Ross mentioned they would add in more licensed players. No.. that is not right. It should have been in the game from beginning.

Academy - Gutted to see there is no stadium creation tool. Why? This is a ready product, it should have been in the game.

Gameplay - As a causal gamer, the gameplay is fine for me barring a few bugs. They really need to work on the sliding fielder touching boundary always.

Visuals - Apart from player modals who look very weird, the stadium, lightening, atmosphere is stunning on 4k. The game is super fast on Series S. 1000% improvement of C19.

Commentary - Buggy and sucks. Won a match 4 down and commentators said knew openers would kill the run chase.

I would give this game 6/10. My main concern as a buyer is that I paid full amount only to recieve the game content in installments. Should we customers pay in installments then? Why are we expected to pay full when its not a complete product.
2 steps forward, 3 backward.

beswick13

Club Cricketer
On top of the Tour designer and Stadium Creator, what about making custom tournaments?

The T20 World Cup knock off is only from the Super 12 phase onwards, and has Zimbabwe in it, who couldn't even play in the tournament as they were banned during qualifying for it.

Was hoping to do some cool concepts but the generic ones leave a lot to be desired.

Users who are viewing this thread