Cricket Project Interview

sid_19840

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Interview with Paul Snell,maker of "The Cricket Project"

Today,I had an interview with Paul Snell,from NSW Australia,who is the man behind the game Cricket Project,most of the game has been made by him alone,and credit to him for that.

Q>What is The Cricket Project all about (in short) ?

A>The Cricket Project is the codename for my little baby,it's going to be a new 3d playable cricket simulation (game) which i intend to break many boundaries...the cricket gaming community has never ever seen a great cricket game to date - my intention is to create one and deliver.

Q>What first made you think about making this game,and when?

A>Good question,it started when Cricket 2004 (EA) was released. I was really inspired to do something about the bollocks that was being dished out to us. That game was so bad and so badly supported that i got really annoyed. I decided it was time to do something...unfortunately, I tried starting the project with a bunch of guys from PlanetCricket back in around December 2004 but it all fell through.....because we didn't realise how much was involved at the time and no-one knew anything about making games...so the project fell apart.....I decided that I would continue alone and first do all the research....so I spent many months reading up and studying about game creation...but then I had to learn 3d modelling as well and do a crash course in physics.

Q>What made you think that you could make the game,or atleast most of it yourself,when big gaming companies have somewhat struggled to?

A>I really didn't know that I could when I started it...it was more like..."Ok, let's try this out and see how it goes"....I almost quit (in fact did put it down for a couple of months) when I got really stuck on the physics....it was really tough because I thought I would have to give up...but then I found the breakthrough I was looking for......once I got the physics worked out it was all go.

Q> What were the first few things or steps that you took when starting this project?

A> I had to learn a) Coding (I had a basic programming background, but certainly not good enough for game making)

b)Learn 3d modelling.

c) Physics - Newtons laws / kinematics / projectiles etc..

d) Learn 2d art..

e) Game design...

So i studied and studied and spent many hours researching...many many sleepless nights while holding down a fulltime job.

Q>When was the moment that you realised that you could actually make this happen?

A>I realised I could complete it when I started seeing some actual results in the game engine...it's one thing to create a 3d model but another to actually make it do stuff within your engine...I also got plenty of support from close friends who gave me a lot of encouragement.

Q>How has Planetcricket aided or helped you to further help develop the project?

A>In several ways....it has shown me massive support which just encourages me to continue and push myself to go on and on...I think without that support it would be easy to feel like giving up when the going gets tough....I also wanted to thank the guys who are helping out with art etc. especially Kartik (JK16_4) - he has been really good..he always pushes me to make things better...if not for him the graphics would still be like they were on day1 !

Q>What is the current stage of the game,and what are the major obstacles to cover yet?

A>Currently I am in the middle of fixing up the graphics (I knew I wasn't going to do it till later, but it turns out other guys are depending on this stuff now so I have to do it now) of the player models and it is coming along really well...I have decided to complete all models at once so then I dont have to go back and forth between modelling and coding...then i am back into the coding......finishing off running between wickets etc. The major obstacles to come are definately AI and Fielding....gonna be very tough, but we'll get there .

Q>When is the game expected(approx) to be released and how do you plan to release it?

A>if i knew that one i would honestly had told you,but i dont know myself yet ...i can only say that i was hoping for a christmas release...but it's still too early to make any promises..Distribution is a toughy...again, too early to call.

Q>Finally,what would you recommend/suggest to aspiring game maker's?

Ok, i would suggest this...."Understand" that it is extremely difficult and all-time-consuming making a game...you must do the research and ground work "before" you start and you must (above all else) have perseverence....so many people have the inspiration but give up when they realise how much time and effort is involved...if you really believe in the game then you must stick with it till completion.

We all wish Paul good luck with this amazing project.

This Interview is only for Planetcricket(www.planetcricket.org),SportandGameWorld(www.sportandgameworld.co.uk),and CricketProject(www.thecricketproject.com),if you are reading this interview elsewhere please contact at [email protected]

Thank You.

Last edited:

embi

International Coach
Wow, LM you have really made an effort. Amazing stuff. Absolutely amazing perserverance. Like warne, "Just never, ever give up." Good luck with it all.

Hariz

International Cricketer
Kool interview guys. PC and all its members are with you LM and I personally will be back onto work with you as soon as I finish of my own work. ;)

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
Hariz said:
Kool interview guys. PC and all its members are with you LM and I personally will be back onto work with you as soon as I finish of my own work. ;)

no worries, take yr time, man...hope all your studies go well :cheers

holmie

Club Cricketer
hey i have an idea. how about all the tcp staff members have an avatar like LM and hariz? that would be cool.

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
holmie said:
hey i have an idea. how about all the tcp staff members have an avatar like LM and hariz? that would be cool.

That's a cool idea ;) and should be from the country that you are from...e.g. i should make mine an Aussie pic, Kartik's should be Indian, (Hariz's is Pakistani), Skateboarder English etc....

If anyone wants, i can make up some high res pix of those kits to send around... :)

LM

holmie

Club Cricketer
yeah thats what i meant. you should have one of your own team. but yeah that would be great. thanks LM.

sid_19840

International Coach
I would personally like to thank Paul,who was ready to waste around half an hour for this interview.

Users who are viewing this thread