Story Cricket? Story of my life...

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Chapter 24 - "Sammy!"

158 in 20 overs. It could be done. The Marauders had a decent enough bowling lineup, but we had kids who were fired up and raring to go. To say that I was happy with the bowling would have been something of a white lie. I wasn't quite buoyed by the bowling. But it was a chaseable target. We could get it. God, if only Jaime, Scott, and me were playing.

We met in the home team locker room. All the guys (and Eliza) were chirping. Some happily, some a bit less. Liza in particular wasn't her usual joyous self and kept questioning the decision to have her bowl a full quota of 4 overs. She had gone for 10 an over, despite picking up 3 wickets along the way. She glared at us three.

"Mr. Jaime," she began, "You wanted me to bowl my overs...you think that was the right call?"

I looked across at Jaime. "Ding-dong, you care to answer?"

Jaime held up one hand. "Liza, you did pick up three wickets in your first ever competitive bowling effort. And three important wickets at that. I'm backing my decision and I'll say the score could easily have been 180 or 190 if not for your contribution."

Eliza just nodded, but she clearly was not a hundred percent happy with the explanation given. I decided to just keep things moving along, if not to cut the tension, at least to ignore it for the time being.

"Liza, your bowling was much appreciated, and yes you did get hit for some runs but you got the wickets. The guys from the other teams won't look at you the same again if they know you're a threat with the ball as well as with the bat. Now we sent you your new rib-guard. It's okay...is it?"

Eliza batted with a rib-guard. She always used one a few sizes too big for her, and we promised her that we would get her a proper one this season. But being female, we had to custom make it, telling the supplier that we needed a bit of a bump right here and a ridge here.

She nodded. "Fits like a glove, Mr. Qpee. But...erm...how'd you know...um..."

"Take that up with Jason, young lady, he's the boyfriend, isn't he?"

Her eyes widened to the point where I thought they would pop out of their sockets as she turned redder than a ripe beet. Needless to say, I got no further comment from her.

"Okay," I went on, "So Liza and Mike, you guys are opening. Mike, don't go bashing it first up. Take the opening over to get a feel of the pitch. It's still grassy but in a good condition. Take your time out there. I don't want any swipes. If they're smart, which I know the Marauders captain is, he's going to want his opening bowlers to pitch it maybe on that good to back of a good length. The sun is out, won't be much extra swing. They'll be looking for seam. Play in the open vee, so not just mid off to mid on, play through the covers and midwicket. Vertical bat shots. Nothing cross-batted. Liza, your role is to score at least a run off of every ball you face. No boundaries from you. Don't play in anger or frustration. Play with an open-faced bat. I want the two of you to take us to the end of the PowerPlay at something like 7ish an over. The required rate at that point will be above 8, approaching 9ish, don't worry.

"After the restrictions are up, work the relaxed field. Push hard for the twos, threes even. They're going to bring on a couple part-timers. Target them. Mike, you're gonna be well-set by then. Now's your chance to hit out. Stand deep in your crease and turn the good length balls into short ones. Hit out hard. If you get out, you get out. Liza, you're the innings anchor. Again, try to score off of every ball you face, but no big hitting.

"Jason, you're in at one down. You've got a great skill for finding the gaps. Don't miss out on any runs. Call early and call hard. There is no yes-no-maybe-oh-sh*t here. Communicate with your batting partner. But what I'd like for you to do is find the gaps along the ground that gives us boundaries. You're strong on the off-side. They will probably give you a deep extra cover and a deep backward point. Pierce that gap and get it to the rope. I know you can do it. Even if you don't get to the rope, run hard.

"Sean, you're in after. I don't want to see any scoops or reverse sweeps. Play orthodox cricket. But every now and then, you're allowed to be a bit cheeky. Make them think. Make them cringe. And make them pay.

"Jameson and Alex can be swapped, remember we'll be on the bench with you so we will be able to let you know based on the situation at the time, whether we need a hitter or an accumulator.

"Remember everyone, that the Marauders' fast bowlers might want to give us a few bouncers early on. I make no excuse here. Attack the hell out of it. And, no sledging, but give them back just as hard a stare as they give you."

I nodded, my little speech over. Scott pulled out his phone and typed in a few words. "Ready?" He looked at me, and then Jaime.

"Ready." Jaime said.

"Beam me up, Scotty," I said.

He pressed another button on the screen and there was that buzz of a phone ringing on the other end before a bit of static and then a clear voice.

"Hello?"

All of our team...yes, it wasn't just my team anymore, it was OUR team...all of them recognised the voice at once.

"SAMMY!"

I swear, our 11 players immediately got into a frenzy.

"Hey, guys, what's up?"

Jameson spoke first. "You sound like you're doing okay, man. What's up?"

"Aww, James...yeah today was a good day. I was able to do some strength training. The physio said I was coming along great. But I was watching the match on the website. 158? You guys think you can make it? And how come Mr. Qpee and Mr. Scott and Mr. Jaime aren't playing?"

"Executive decision on your part, Sammy my boy," I said, "The guys wanted to do this for you, and we're not planning on losing, you know."

"Well obviously I don't want us to lose. So who's taking my spot as opener?"

Eliza promptly piped up, "Hey Sammy, that would be me!"

"Liza? Geez, what, you guys ran out of options or something? Ahahaha, nah, Liza you'll be fine. And three wickets to you! Just sort of watch out for the short ones when you're batting, huh. I kinda didn't, and well look at me now."

"HEY! Don't you talk like that!" Eliza quickly retorted.

"I'm fine, Liza, don't you worry. I'm cheering you guys on! Go ThunderDogs! Hey guys, the umpires are walking out on the video, you guys better get a move on. Bye for now!"

He ended the call as I looked around. Liza and Michael had their batting kits on already. "Team huddle for a second, guys. We're going to kill these Marauders."

We got into the huddle and Scott took the lead.

"It's a big total, but it can and will be overhauled. Bat according to your strengths. Don't play any dumb shots. As long as we have players in the middle, we're there. Now one-two-three for the ThunderDogs!"

The entire team and us three shouted at the top of our lungs.

WE DON'T CARE FOR UNDERDOGS! WE'RE THUNDERDOGS! BOOM BOOM BOOM, SKIES ARE DARK, CLOUDS ARE BLACK, ATTACK, ATTACK ATTACK! THUNDERDOGS!

Our kids were ready. Hell yeah, they were ready.

(EDIT: As to Eliza's rib guard, a rather blatant shoutout/tribute to the late Sir Terry Pratchett for the then Lance-Constable Angua in the book "Men at Arms".)

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag