Dec 3-7: 2nd Test: Australia v England at the Adelaide Oval

relentless_rock

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Congratulations to Eng! what an all round performance!! Aus will do well to draw the next test before harbouring thoughts of winning one.

n whats up with Watson? he is very consistent but keeps getting out for 50s. Quite frustrating to say the least.

War

Chairman of Selectors
My view of the 2nd test

FOR ENGLAND:

TREMENDOUS!!!...This team just keeps amazing me. I dont think its that great when you look @ a few players individually (Trott, Broad, Cook, Prior, Finn). But boy since last winter in South Africa this team has really steel & plays for each other.

Alot of people where talking on this site & around the world that Swann could/would struggle in Australia because of fact that off-spinner dont bowl well in Australia. But they always forgot outside of Murali struggles here, that a top class off-spinner in form hasn't toured Australia since Saqlain Mushtaq since 99/00 & historically foreign offies like Gibbs, Illingworth, Titmus, even AUS own Ashley Mallet, Erapalli Prasanna have all managed to take wickets in AUS. So that should keep his critics quiet.

Cook has been a stunning suprise. Apparantley as everyone has noted, all it seems to have took is just a eradication of his bending of his knees when driving/dealing with deliveries outside off-stump & that technical flaw that bothered him since the 2006/07 Ashes first is now gone. Long may it continue, since now he looks to have the game to become England's version of Gary Kirsten.

Sad that Broad is out. But Tremelett as most would say is very able replacement. I personally rate him ahead of Finn, so things are fine.

FOR AUSTRALIA:

JESUS CHRISTT!!...:facepalm. Another one of these wonderful batting collapses that has pretty much defined this post McGrath/Warne era since 2007/08 costed AUS this test, after the day 1 collapse.

This is first innings defeat i have seen England give Australia since i saw my first Ashes in 97 & if my memory is correct, its 1st innings defeat ENG have given Australia since that famous MCG test of 1986 when ENG last won in AUS:

4th Test: Australia v England at Melbourne, Dec 26-28, 1986 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

So not great signs that for AUS since we talking about the dark 1980s again. But i certainly dont think for one minute that the quality of cricketers AUS have no are anywhere near as crappy as what was around druing those dark days. The problem for AUS is the incompetent selectors who have made poor selectorial errors over & over since 2008 & as i said before the Ashes, their decisions will cost AUS the Ashes rather that the players.

Doherty should have never played & North should have never being playing in the Ashes for starters. If one looks @ how Anderson was so devasting on day 1 with the new ball exploting whatever little movement in those early overs on that flat deck. One can only wonder now what Hilfy who is as just as good with the new-ball could have done in the early 1st innings period after Bollinger got Strauss early. Then again Cook & Trott could have also survived given how well they where playing, but at least they would have been tested more.

AUS though to me can sort of take heart that they haven't played to potentially yet while i reckon ENG are playing @ the peak of their potential & if this team is played for the remaining 3 tests, they can win or draw the Ashes. Anything else & ENG will be celebrating its first Ashes win in AUS since 86/87.

Watson
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Ferguson/D Hussey
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Hilfy
Bollinger

(Note: Sad for Katman, but hopefully regardless of his age he still has a role to play for AUS as middle order batsman in the next year or so)

D Hussey - This is my left field selection in place of North. If the selectors finally come to their senses & pick 4 quicks & drop North. D Hussey is best like-for-like replacement for North since he is batsman in the to 6 who can give you some overs of spin (which could be of use now that Katich is out & Clarke back isn't allowing him to bowl). Plus he is capable enough batsman in my view for tests & he is right handed & AUS need to try to negate Swann effect sort of by having more right handers in the top 7.

If they as i expect wont go for D Hussey. Of the two youngsters Khawaja/Ferguson who are the front runners to replace North - i'd pick the right handed Ferguson.

Would recall Johnson too. The tail is too long & if the groundsmen @ Perth can get that pitch to play anywhere close to a typical old fashin bouncy Perth deck. That would be just the kind of surface Johnson style of bowling would strive under.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Well done to the English team. They thoroughly deserved their victory. It's going to be hard for the Australian team to come back from this. It's scary to think that if England win one more match they retain the Ashes at worst!

I think North's time is up. If he had made between 30-50 today and ran out of partners with the tail then I would of given him the benefit of the doubt for the next Test. He's got to go imo. Maybe the selectors don't want to make to many changes in the batting side considering Katich will be out too.

We can't panic by making rash and lots of changes. To me, that would send a clear message to the English saying "we don't know what to do".

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Great show by England. I woke up today expecting to see an Australian fightback. Like I said before, its the worst performance from an Australian Team I have seen in Australia. I agree with "Blame the selectors" mantra here. I can not understand how hilfenhaus was dropped. He is Australia's best new bowl bowler by a country mile. North should have been dropped a long time ago. I don't know if Australia have a better spinner than Doherty in reserves, so I can't comment on his place in the side.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Pffft, Australian selectors. I don't think it's just time yet to throw the panic button. Go in unchanged and we will win. Mark my words.

Look what happened. I was right, well kind of.

Owzat

International Coach
I think even the rain can't save Australia now. Only 2 wickets to go!

From what I heard it was touch and go, England did what West Indies did in 1988 which is win just before the rain came.

I had to laugh at Boycs and company the other morning, reckoned we needed five bowlers so we could play two spinners. What poppycock! We not only knocked over 20 aussie wickets with 3.5 bowlers, Broad not doing much and being injured, but we won comfortably. Or put another way, over FIVE Ashes Tests in 06/07 we lost 0-5 and didn't bowl the aussies out twice in any Test, while this series we're 1-0 up, unbeaten so far having scored 500+ in each Test and haven't needed five bowlers. Fair enough the aussies are weaker than in 06/07, but our bowlers aren't massively improved.

I checked the stats for England Tests from 2000 onwards, we've won 10 Tests away playing four bowlers and playing five bowlers. The difference is we've played about twice as many Tests playing five bowlers!

I wonder if Broad's injury might make us even better, get a bowler in with a lot more poke. Since the Ashes in 2009 :

SCJ Broad

329 runs @ 21.93
35 wkts @ 34.26

Is that really good enough for a frontline seamer in a four man bowling attack? The above includes 14 cheap wickets against a weak Pakistan batting line up.

Against South Africa, Sri Lanka, India and Australia :

44 wkts @ 40.02 (SR 76.95, ER 3.12)

That's half his series, against the weaker sides of New Zealand, Pakistan (these days), West Indies and Bangladesh :

55 wkts @ 31.42 (SR 60.13, ER 3.14)

Even against the weaker sides that isn't great all things considered. I'd love to break his figures down further, no doubt someone will call him "unlucky" which is the usual excuse for someone who looks good but does little, but I've run out of lunchbreak.

Onwards and upwards for England, I can't see the aussies being this bad for five Tests but we live in hope

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Australia really should have pulled out a draw. They only had to bat for 3 1/2 sessions to get one with all the rain.
There are about 11 different teams and 30 odd names floating around in the Perth thread so I guess that indicates a certain panic as to what to do next.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I feel like evertonfan four years ago except I'v got no excuses.. we are plain ████.

Can't bat, can't bowl, can't field.

But for the record, Ponting and Clarke are both tossers and Ive always known this.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Whole match was aces. Never can I remember an Aussie side with so little fight. Being completely presumptuous here but if we were to win this series it sets up the English summer very nicely. We could really get ourselves into contention for being the number one Test side during the series against India.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Australia really should have pulled out a draw. They only had to bat for 3 1/2 sessions to get one with all the rain.
There are about 11 different teams and 30 odd names floating around in the Perth thread so I guess that indicates a certain panic as to what to do next.
If not panic, it's at least irrational because there's a good round of first class cricket before the squad needs to be picked.

Boundaries

Club Cricketer
Awesome, England well done! It's following the pattern all of our series seem to take.

Draw, Win, Draw, Loss, Win...

Mark my words.

From what I have seen from Hauritz, he is an ok spinner, I mean he's alright. I can't see any reason why you would rather player tha Smith, or Doherty? :facepalm

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Those reasons is just baseless pessimism. Its almost as if you people think modern day bowlers & the members of the AUS pace attack (Hilfy, Bolly, Johnson, Harris, Siddle - whichever 4 starts) all have the combined bodies of Shane Bond, Flintoff, Brett Schultz, Chris Cairns and they would all suddenly break down if the have to bowl long spells in a few test. Its makes no sense whatsoever, so you have to come up with a better argument that that.

If you couldn't see that the Aussie seamers were struggling due to the numbers of overs they had to bowl in such heat then I don't see where this is going to go. Harris had a niggle and his pace was slightly down, Siddle's pace slowed down to around 83-81 and he struggled to look menacing while Bollinger was barely medium pace due to the overs he had bowled and his lack of fitness prior to the match. Even Watson who was barely bowling that much looked as though he was running in quicksand when in the field all of this while the spinner was playing.

I'm not saying they're going to break down in a heap but if you have seamers bowling for a whole day they'll end up unbelievably tired and struggle to be effective thereafter.

Thirdly unfortunately i must say again some of you really dont seem to understand what the role of a test standard has been throughout test history. My insistence that he should fullfill the simple task is not my insisting, so dont tery to shift the goal post to misrepresent what i have said. Every test spinenr of any respectable test quality in test history has been able to do that for some period.

Please give me an example of any test spinner in test history who main strenght was just to hold up & end (a job Hauritz never really did either) & could never become a wicket taking threat when he got favourable conditions. That had a long test career????

Giles. Cite his few five wicket hauls again if you want but he was there primarily to hold up an end (as his strike rate suggests. Infact Hauritz averages a 5 wicket haul every 8.5 matches with a strike rate of 66 in comparison to Giles' 10.8 matches in between his 5 wicket hauls with a strike rate of 85) while the seamers where rotated, ask any England fan and they'll agree.

I'd also say that Vettori borders on being there mainly to keep things tight in the hope of boring players out but that would be harsh on him to say the least.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Ojha currently seems to be doing the holding job for India.

Boje did it for a fair bit for South Africa while the pacers revolved around him.

Users who are viewing this thread