Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
As the title suggest, we will be discussing cricket related topics. I will post a topic and you all can post on what you feel about it and how to fix that issue. Please thank this post if you like the idea. Waiting for people to let me know they are interested.

Manish.

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
What I'm going to suggest is very much affordable and can be implemented so as to promote Cricket in Zimbabwe.

The most basic problems for Zimbabwe has been the financial and political issues. Political problems cannot be completely resolved but can be controlled to some extent. And for financial problems (as Manish) said, the ICC can release more funds. Small units of local cricket body must be formed in each divisions of country in order to promote and search for talents (talent hunt). People will automatically get attracted and get interested in cricket after seeing the success of the team (as in case of Bangladesh). Couple of series wins and few upsets to the top teams will surely make the fans support their team and in this way, they can generate the revenue themselves (through sponsorships, ticket sales etc..) and repeat the above process of talent hunt.

Some cash rich cricket boards must provide some financial as well as moral assistance to the team and surely this will raise the cricket standards of Zimbabwe. Firstly, dismiss the present administration committee and appoint a committee that will be hard-working to bring Zimbabwe cricket on track. It shouldn't be like 'play for fun/everyone are doing it and so we will do it'. There should be a serious focus on cricket just like other activities in the country.

My two cents. :)

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
So, the first topic:

How to get Zimbabwe back on track?

Tagging people who might be interested:

@Kumbis

How to get Zimbabwe back on track?

82424_zimbabue.jpg

Zimbabwe Cricket has achieved very little over the last 10 or 12 years

Funds will not help. Crisis & Financial problem are there, but now it is became their habit. Finance is there, but the management is highly corrupted. When they had money, racism and discrimination were become their problem. Now this habit need treatment. Zimbabwean cricket is going die. Its very sad. Zimbabwean Cricketers need to play for the nation. Talents are there, but they need to play with heart, right now they are analysing everything with money. Young stars need to select on regular basis. A proactive coach and little mental preparation can help them.

Last edited:

Morphed

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
I beleive for Zimbabwean cricket to get back on track,their nation must have a good economy and political stability,right now they have none. Their economy is improving,though which might help thier cricket board,but due to corruption,it is wasted

Moreover I have seen they have lost a few of their games because they think the opposition cannot fight back. In the first odi against Bangladesh they had them down for 189-6 or something and then Bangladesh counterattacked nad scored 276 .

Even in the 1983 world cup,they had India struggling,by ripped their top order,but then Kapil Dev scored the highest individual score

The margins of defeat were less than 40 runs.So Zimbabwe should never think its over before its actually over.

Their next generation should take inspiration from the world class talents like Heath Streak, Gary Flower,Andy Flower and Brendan Taylor.

But the main factor I beleive is the amount of money you are willing to spend on the sport as mentioned above.

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Yet Zimbabwe has given us some of the best cricketers in the world in the past.

Politics play a huge part, agreed. But clear your eyes. Look at Pakistan. Look at Afghanistan. At the current moment of posting, look at Sri Lanka.

Pakistan has to play matches in the UAE due to their security reasons.

Afghanistan is a country of deserts, terrorists, and Rashid Khan to the Western world. (They are NOT THAT WAY to myself, just btw.)

Ranatunga's own security force allegedly fired shots at people yesterday. Even now the BBC is associating him with being "Sri Lanka's World Cup winning captain."

Does THAT make any of those countries wrong in terms of cricket? Nope. Zimbabwe's issue isn't politics. Politics are rampant in the world we live in. Unfortunately, so are a few people who think that human lives are worthless...

Look at the recent qualifiers in Zimbabwe. I loved watching the matches. I loved seeing the support. I care not about politics but I will say that all the nonsense that has happened to West Indies Cricket in the past 20something years is way more than Zimbabwe had to deal with.

I suggest getting them playing 4 day cricket consistently again. Then step up to Tests. I suggest getting a great backstage staff around. I suggest getting a proper first class system in place. I even suggest letting players go to other first class leagues.

Not everyone is going to agree with me. But I was tagged in the post for my opinion and here it is. I don't think that Zimbabwe have a bad team. What they have is a ton of pressure on their back for no reason. And they will be able to overcome that. Just give them time.

Last edited:

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I really appreciate all of your comments. I will post the next topic tomorrow at around 10:00 IST.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The real difficulty for Zimbabwe is that they have problems which start both at the bottom and the top of their game.

The issues at the top are very well-documented: a kleptocratic Cricket Board that has properly hocked itself on high-interest loans and now can't afford to pay anything besides the interest on said loans and backhanders to important individuals in the government to keep their positions. As a result, there's very little top-down investment in any real infrastructure.

The issues at the bottom are similar, but less publicised. A club competition recently got underway with eight teams comprising most of the domestic players currently on first-class rosters. Of the first round of four games, half had to be postponed to the middle of the week, owing to a lack of available facilities. Essentially, because the clubs that now play cricket in Zimbabwe have gone out of their way to distance themselves from the usually multi-sports clubs that own the grounds, they have no investment in the facilities they are to play on and the owners of those facilities have no real incentive to prepare fit-for-purpose facilities for clubs that turn up, expect a pitch for free, and then leave again.

Essentially, there needs to be a complete overhaul of Zimbabwe cricket in every respect that it continues to exist. But that won't happen unless the clubs that own grounds are still guaranteed some sort of place in the new order. A clear path from clubs to first-class teams (ideally in line with provinces in some way) to the national team should be a neat pyramid, but it currently isn't like that at all. It's a sprawling, anarchic mess. The amount of work that had to be done to get just a few venues fit for purpose for the CWCQ tournament cannot be overstated, but the money that made that happen belonged to the ICC, not to Zimbabwe Cricket.

So what are the quick fixes? They don't exist. This isn't a post where I suggest answers, just one where I outline a bleak array of problems.

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Should the number of teams participating in the World Cup be extended? Why/Why not?
With this year's World Cup only including 10 nations, associate nations have been disappointed with this decision. We have seen in the previous editions that associate nations have competed test nations and defeated them. Some matches were:
Zimbabwe vs. England (Albury, 1992)
Canada vs. Bangladesh (Kingsmead, 2003)
Zimbabwe vs. South Africa (Chelmsford, 1999)
Zimbabwe vs. Australia (Trent Bridge, 1983)
Ireland vs. England (Bangalore, 2011) and more.....

So guys put your views forward.....

@Ashutosh. @Quadralus @qpeedore @Perfect Square @Rebel2k18 @SaiSrini @Manish. @El Loco @PresidentEvil @Kumbis

Morphed

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Yes the number of teams in world cup should atleast be 12 . I personally want it to 15 ,1 more than last year's world cup,because it would be too impulsive to increase it more than 20 considering the quality of opposition. The format however is good for England world cup because of rain as teams may be unlucky to have all three rain games

Ex : south Africa in u19 world cup

The 15 team format should have:-

9 full members and host would automatically qualify

The bottom 2 would play an world cup qualifiers which would have top 4 championship division teams .

The bottom 4 teams would fight with division 2 teams in which the top two would qualify.

Then the right teams will be drawn into two groups and each team will play each other twice.

The top two teams topping the table from each group will automatically qualify

The third place teams will have 2 matches to see who will qualify ( a third one incase of tie)

The 15 teams will be divided into 3 groups.

The top 2 teams from each group will qualify to knockout,while the 2 best third placed team will be qualified on basis of points acquired,bonus points acquired and NRR.

Then it's going to be a knockout.

Moreover we have seen what happens when teams take associates and lower ranked teams lightly.

Ex: England Vs Scotland , India Vs Hong Kong( close match), windies Vs Afghanistan.

Bonus points :
10 wickets taken - 3 points
5 wickets taken -1 point
285 score - 1 point
330 score - 2 points
365 score - 3 points
400 score - 4 points
Margin of defeat less than 35 runs - 1/2 points

Users who are viewing this thread