Earthquake near Trinidad...

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Alright guys so just experienced a 7.3 earthquake at the centre (5.31 EST), when it hit Trinidad it was about 6.8 but it lasted a full minute and then some. We generally build with bricks so not a LOT of property damage but some buildings did get issues and some landslips happened. The ground shook for something near 2 mins if I timed it right but hell my ass was scared too. Biggest quake in years. Longest quake in years. When you can actually see the earth moving...yeah...it's a big quake.

Not taking ANYTHING AWAY from the recent bigger quakes in other places...but damn that was scary.

I know there are other Trinis here. Your experience?

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
My granny held onto my hand and prayed. I'm not that much into the whole scene and I was scared shitless but I will say prayers escaped my lips like if i was in church. That earthquake honestly scared me like mad...

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
That does sound scary, glad you / family seem ok ?

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Yes, thankfully after I went around and inside the house there was no damage. A few things were knocked off of shelves and a few things needed adjusting but nothing major and I am so thankful. I had seen pics of cars parked up near buildings...the cars are basically gone in terms of functional status. Bricks from nearby places just demolished them cars. A few of our historical buildings will need repair. But no loss of life so far that I've heard.

EDIT: Imagine if people were in the cars...oh...I don't want to imagine...I would have had to certify them DOA...

DOUBLE EDIT: Our country is right on a fault line. We're due for an 8+ soon they say. This one was good though they say it means we still have time. But...wow...was not nice to go through it...this thing was honestly the biggest and longest I think I've been through and I've been through a lot of quakes...

TRIPLE EDIT: They say animals can sense quakes...not my dog she was so scared after she ran and almost took me for six the length she threw me back...

Last edited:

Princess Saffron

Top Hun
Ireland
ENG....
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
England
Oh my...that is infinitely scarier. PlanetCricket and the world is glad that you made it through that safely.
Thank you:). It's certainly an experience we'll never forget. We were in a cab at the time, the driver was fantastic and got us away.

Bhumi

Club Captain
Alright guys so just experienced a 7.3 earthquake at the centre (5.31 EST), when it hit Trinidad it was about 6.8 but it lasted a full minute and then some. We generally build with bricks so not a LOT of property damage but some buildings did get issues and some landslips happened. The ground shook for something near 2 mins if I timed it right but hell my ass was scared too. Biggest quake in years. Longest quake in years. When you can actually see the earth moving...yeah...it's a big quake.

Not taking ANYTHING AWAY from the recent bigger quakes in other places...but damn that was scary.

I know there are other Trinis here. Your experience?
2014?

Users who are viewing this thread