Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters

cerande

Club Captain
One of my friends is really crazy about UPSC.He chose IIt delhi over Bombay because the "atmosphere" to study for UPSC is better in Delhi.
You interested in IAS ,IFS or IPS?

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
One of my friends is really crazy about UPSC.He chose IIt delhi over Bombay because the "atmosphere" to study for UPSC is better in Delhi.
You interested in IAS ,IFS or IPS?

To be honest, I've no idea what Civil Services (which I'm thinking to have a go at) is all about. I just had a look at the things that are covered in the exam and thought I can do that. All in all, I'm looking for a good exam or quick course which settles my future monetarily.

cerande

Club Captain
See,Civil services has three aspects:administration(IAS),police eg SP IPS and foreign secretary IFS .While I am not exactly sure about the 3 one,I am about 100% sure what you want is IAS.
Be wary though it is a very very difficult and selective exam.Also while your mileage might vary ,it is by no mean a quick course exam.Buy hey,you won't know till you try it.You might top the country!
Best of Luck btw.

Fenil

See,Civil services has three aspects:administration(IAS),police eg SP IPS and foreign secretary IFS .While I am not exactly sure about the 3 one,I am about 100% sure what you want is IAS.
Be wary though it is a very very difficult and selective exam.Also while your mileage might vary ,it is by no mean a quick course exam.Buy hey,you won't know till you try it.You might top the country!
Best of Luck btw.

I know its very tough but the course currently I'm pursuing (CS) isn't a cakewalk either. Let me give if you a brief idea about what I'm good at and where I lag behind to make you easier to recommend me the branch of Civil Services to select or check if I'm good enough for the exam.

First things first, I'm decent at English and am very good at logical reasoning part. I'm very good at airthmetic but the moment statistics or algebra comes into play, my mind gets blank. I've commendable general knowledge barring politics.

Any suggestions now? Oh, btw, I'm in no mood to join police service.

Last edited:

cerande

Club Captain
Biggest positive for you is the general knowedge.There is a General studies paper which constitutes a whole lot.
You need to choose one language for detail and should also meet a qualification level in english.There is loads and loads of essays though,which is one thing which is very subjective in nature.
I just came to know that you could in fact choose two subjects,so you could choose subjects which you have a command in.So no algebra=no problem.

Logical reasoning will help you ,but it will not make or break your case.

All and all,if you have a good grasp of General knowledge,have a grip in subjects (of your choice),and can write great essays;there is a great chance for you.
Oh and there is an interview as well.

JG1995

Club Captain
Guys,its better goin by this method
School_Sucks_Major_Ass_v2__by_twistedEXIT.jpg

Fenil

I just came to know that you could in fact choose two subjects,so you could choose subjects which you have a command in.So no algebra=no problem.

Can you please elaborate on that? The subjects to choose from?

I don't mind essays. They have been the strong point for me right through the school and college. I'm just decent in G.K. and not that great. That said, I've the capability to mug things up quite easily so it might do the trick. I mugged up a whole 1250 page book containing various Company Laws in 10 days with sections. :D

cerande

Club Captain
There is a preliminary exam consisting of 2 GS papers for 200 marks each(objective)

Then there is main exam which is of the following format:

Here you go:There are 9 papers.[no. represent paper no.]

1)Any language of your choice.-300 marks
2)Qualification paper in English.-300 marks
3)Essay-200 marks
4) and 5)There are two papers for general studies.-300 each=600
6),7),8),9)Now you have to choose two subjects and you have to give two papers in each subjects.-2x300+2x300=1200
List of subjects to choose from-
CHOOSE 2 FROM-Arabic Gujarati Manipuri Sanskrit
Assamese Hindi Nepali Sindhi
Bengali Kannada Oriya Tamil
Chinese Kashmiri Pali Telugu
English Konkani Persian Urdu
French Marathi Punjabi
German Malayalam RussianAgriculture
Management
Animal Husbandry & Vetinary Science
Mathematics
Anthropology
Mechanical Engineering
Botany
Medical Science
Chemistry
Philosophy
Civil Engineering
Physics
Commerce & Accountancy
Political Science & International Relations
Economics
Psychology
Electrical Engineering
Public Administration
Geography
Sociology
Geology
Statistics
Indian History
Zoology
Law
So there if you like any subjects more than maths from the above list,you can bypass maths.
Total marks =2300.
There is an interview afterwards.You might think that there are only 200 marks for essays but there are millions of essays inside other papers too.So,if it is your strong point others have some catching up to do!
If you have interest in biology like subject,you can mug it up fully :thumbs
No CS in the list though:(
YOU CANNOT CHOOSE-Political Science & International relations and Pubilc Administration
Commerce & Accountancy and Management
Anthropopgy and Sociology
Mathematics and Statistice
Agriculture and Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
Management and Public Administration
Any two branches of engineering
Animal Husbandry & Veterimary Science and Mediacal Science
Combination of two Literatures
There you go Cheers.:D

Fenil

Thanks, man! That did helped a great deal.

There are quite a few subjects I feel I have a grip over like Economics, management, Law, Indian history and public administration. Can I select any language for 6, 7, 8, and 9th topic as well considering there are already 2 other papers of languages (#1 and #2)? :D

which is the best course ???

It depends on your capability/strong points and the field you are looking to make career in.

cerande

Club Captain
It is not compulsary to choose language in 6,7,8,9 at all.You can choose two from Economics, management, Law, Indian history and public administration if you like.e.g if you choose eco and management you would have to give two papers of each.Also if you want you can choose one language.Like you can choose hindi and one from other "main" category.You cannot choose two languages here though.
Of course though you can choose language of your choice.This applies to paper 1 as well.Only in the 2nd one you have to qualify in english.
Hope that clears it up.I am usually bad in explaining stuff!:)

Users who are viewing this thread