England in Australia

langerrox

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
valvo i dont suppose you thought it was a great game when england beat australia a year ago?

genghis_khan

International Cricketer
Anyone see the comment on cricinfo about Anderson looking very Westlife? haha so true :D

Hilfy bowled well, although he was only bowling outswingers and wasnt sending them down overly quick, he had a very conservative mindset, i guess he was extremely nervous.

And what a horrible uniform the aussies wore, the one they're wearing in the CBS isnt much better sadly. Hopefully they use their normal away kit for the WC.

Last edited by a moderator:

langerrox

International Coach
yeh hilfy bowled like a star, that one that got bell was a beauty, he swings it more than bracks

kodos

International Coach
His out swinger to the right hander was impressive last night, kind of reminds me of Hoggard. Expect Hilfenhaus to play a few games, probably in rotation with Lee or Clark.

valvolux

Club Cricketer
langerrox said:
valvo i dont suppose you thought it was a great game when england beat australia a year ago?

Mate i'm from Perth :D No I thought that was a pile of rubbish as well. As exciting as it is watching Gilly/Symmo/White hit lots of sixes, I think this 20/20 stuff is garbage. I've been to 2 at the WACA ....both of the games were exactly like this - first team smacks a pretty good total, the chasing team loses early wickets and is out of it by the 5th over cause they don't have anyone capable of hitting sixes down the order... then the most interesting things occur off the ground (like the beer cup worm that went 1/3 of the way round the WACA a year or 2 ago when the warriors played victoria).

Most teams only have 2 or 3 genuine sloggers in their team and when they get out it's probably one of the most predictable sports going around. It'll only become less predictable when teams are picked solely for the format - I doubt international teams are going to do this...which is going to lead to more lopsided games like this one.

genghis_khan

International Cricketer
kodos said:
His out swinger to the right hander was impressive last night, kind of reminds me of Hoggard. Expect Hilfenhaus to play a few games, probably in rotation with Lee or Clark.

Yeh i was thinking the same thing last night, the way he bustles in and his general action. Also has a neat change of pace which had Collingwood done and shouldve had Vaughan done.

Sureshot

Executive member
aussie1st said:
His outswinger seem to go a lot more than Hoggard but hard to compare with the different balls being used.

Have you seen him with a red ball? If so what's he like with that? As Hoggys inswinger to the lefties is his most dangerous delivery and it seemed more extreme than anything I saw Hilfy bowl, though I was impressed with his accuracy and shape and I'd expect to see him being a test bowler within a couple of years.

Difficult to compare but you've got a good un there imo.

langerrox

International Coach
valvolux said:
Mate i'm from Perth :D No I thought that was a pile of rubbish as well. As exciting as it is watching Gilly/Symmo/White hit lots of sixes, I think this 20/20 stuff is garbage. I've been to 2 at the WACA ....both of the games were exactly like this - first team smacks a pretty good total, the chasing team loses early wickets and is out of it by the 5th over cause they don't have anyone capable of hitting sixes down the order... then the most interesting things occur off the ground (like the beer cup worm that went 1/3 of the way round the WACA a year or 2 ago when the warriors played victoria).

Most teams only have 2 or 3 genuine sloggers in their team and when they get out it's probably one of the most predictable sports going around. It'll only become less predictable when teams are picked solely for the format - I doubt international teams are going to do this...which is going to lead to more lopsided games like this one.
haha perth boy, you star valvo!
i donno, i find 20/20 very amusing. mainly because it provides so many good photos i guess :cool:

valvolux

Club Cricketer
Sureshot said:
Have you seen him with a red ball? If so what's he like with that? As Hoggys inswinger to the lefties is his most dangerous delivery and it seemed more extreme than anything I saw Hilfy bowl, though I was impressed with his accuracy and shape and I'd expect to see him being a test bowler within a couple of years.

I haven't seen a lot of him. He was in another 20/20 tonight and bowled a pretty similar tidy line with the same sort of shape. I hear he can crank the pace up a bit when he wants too. My first impression was geez, we have a Hoggy on our hands here. He certainly got more movement than Bracks which is pretty impressive. Why isn't Hoggard in the ODI team? Is it just cause he can't bat? Doesn't Glenn McGrath play ODIs?

Hoggard didn't exactly generate a lot of swing in the ashes, compared to what he did last year anyway...he seemed to take a lot of wickets with the older ball with subtle variations which I didn't think he had up his sleeve. I don't know how Hilfy goes with the older ball...but at 23 and the leading wicket taker in the domestic competition in just his second season, he sure has a lot of potential. Would love to see him with a fresh cherry in England.

There was a recent one dayer on tele with Johnson playing and he was swinging it a mile both ways. I see Taity is back as well and on fire....if only those guys can stay fit. We are going to have an awesome attack come 2009.

Sureshot

Executive member
Well Hoggy has always struggled in ODIs (barring his start vs Zimbabwe in 2000 iirc), he has certainly improved in terms of variations, he sometimes bowls more cutters during a spell than away/in swingers. I believe we should give him more of a chance but I can't see that happening, we are desperate for an opening bowler to take wickets in ODIs and he can do that I feel.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Hoggys problems in Odis is that he has a tendency to push a ball down the leg side as well as one that's a bit wide outside off stump. Works fine in a test match, but when the rules are stricter in the shorter format it forces him to bowl closer to the stumps, without a particularly good yorker he often lacks the tools to cause too many problems.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Sureshot said:

Nah haven't seen him with the red ball so as I said hard to compare currently. But it doesn't really matter how far you swing it, all you need is a bit of movement and you have a chance, I agree on Hoggard against left handers his in swinger is devastating.

I thought Hoggard would be a good ODI bowler as he had very good accuracy but when the Aussies started to attack him he didn't have any answer and just kept getting whacked all over the place neglecting his weapon of swing.

Users who are viewing this thread