Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters

newzolt

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
andrew_nixon said:
No.

100% wrong actually.

hat trick: 3 wickets on consequtive balls from the same bowler, even if separated by innings or match
reference: http://www.stratis.demon.co.uk/cricket.htm

And sreesanth did take 2 wickets of the last 2 balls in the 1st innings of the 7th ODI vs England.
reference: http://ind.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/ENG_IN_IND/SCORECARDS/ENG_IND_ODI7_15APR2006.html
look at the FOW: 49.5 - LE Plunkett c VR Singh b Sreesanth
49.6-SI Mahmood c VR Singh b Sreesanth

So technically Sreesanth is on a hattrick.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Well I tried to find out, but the only thing I could find is this - Click Here

It is basically someone chastising a cricinfo commentator for claiming Kabir Ali is on a hattrick the next time he plays a Odi. So it supports Andrews view. Unless it's him writing it, I guess he's right ;)

However as Newzolt says above it could be a matter of personal opinion. As it never used to be considered that a hattrick included the next over, or even the next innings. Yet seems to have been accepted for those these days.

Perhaps not long before next match in a Odi is widely accepted, as it is technically 3 balls on the trot by a bowler.

Last edited:

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
alfa_beta said:
You are truly mistaken... hat-trick CAN span matches, as long as the match is international and same format, i.e. if 2 wkts were taken in a odi international, the third wicket will have to be taken in a odi - test wicket won't count as a hat-trick.
You couldn't be more wrong. A hat-trick has to be taken in ONE match.

newzolt said:
hat trick: 3 wickets on consequtive balls from the same bowler, even if separated by innings or match
reference: http://www.stratis.demon.co.uk/cricket.htm
They're wrong.

newzolt said:
So technically Sreesanth is on a hattrick.
No he isn't.

newzolt

Club Captain
andrew_nixon said:
You couldn't be more wrong. A hat-trick has to be taken in ONE match.

They're wrong.

No he isn't.
Quatation with reference will be highly appreciated in the present context if andrew_nixon could provide it.

newzolt

Club Captain
Well, I will have to check it out as the commentators on national television in India were saying this and it had also appeared in a newspaper.I will have to verify the facts.I wonder what is a split hattrick?
Good references there andrew_nixon.

Last edited:

newzolt

Club Captain
ritwik said:
who were these commentators ? I hope not Sanjay Manjrekar, Arun Lal, Maninder Singh and co.
By commentators I meant the hosts of the cricket highlights on DD news at 10.30 pm on the day of 7th odi.

Manohar

Club Cricketer
vinuatlast said:
.i feel England can be world beaters in Odis .....its understandable that they lost this series because there were few key players missing ...but if its a full fledged squad...its looks unbeatable on paper and may be its..its even better than Australia or Safrica...or even Newzealand...If india are ever to face sucha a squad in World cup semis or quarter...i bet they would beat us blue...

This is a very optimistic comments in favor of the English team after the drubbing they received recently from India and also in the back-drop of currently being 7th in ODI ranking. The current rating is not only based on the recent matches against India when they are missing some of their players. If England has to wait for all the stars and the planets to line up in order for them to do well, they may be in for a surprise even when the stars line up. England missing some of their players is not India's problem and India too played with a second string team and have played very well. England does not look so good against South Africa and Australia either. They lost 4-1 to South Africa in the last series. They shared the last ODI series with Australia but they have to win and win consistently before they could say that they could be world beaters.

gaurav_indian said:
Don't forget India is still to be tested on the English,Australian,South African and New Zealand conditions.Dravid has still to captain India in these tours.Only time will tell whether he can win matches for India on the foreign soil.Don't feel too happy bcoz India won the ODI series in sub-continents wickets.

It is surprising to see the pessimism projected by a few Indian fans even though India has done very well recently. Up course they have to prove their worth overseas but I believe that the Indian team is much more prepared in this regard compared to a couple of years ago.

When Ganguly was relieved off his captaincy for sure India was ranked 3rd in Tests and 7th in ODIs. Now at present in the Dravid & Chappell era they are still ranked 3rd in Tests but have moved to 3rd in ODIs. Even in Tests they have only lost two tests (one against Pakistan and one against England) which should be the only low points for the recent Indian team but they have won about 6 tests are so.

India has not done well overseas even before Dravid & Chappell took over but I believe that the present management is thinking and preparing for winning overseas. First of all India have moved away from a spin oriented attack to one which depends more on pace bowlers. The current Indian pacers have not reasonable well in the sub-continent wickets and could do much better in overseas wickets that assist pace. Secondly in India they have prepared bouncy wickets recently, which other than helping pacers also give a chance for the Indian batsmen to get used to the raising deliveries. The Indian batsmen?s weakness against raising deliveries still remain but bringing back Ganguly is not an answer for coping up with bouncy wickets overseas. India is also moving more towards 5 regular bowlers which also I believe is a preparation for doing well overseas.

So it seems that the Indian team is much better shape than a couple of years ago and that is why it is surprising to see the pessimism from some of the Indian fans. May be unconsciously they are more at ease in a loosing position and cannot get used to winning. If you look at the way the Indian players play recently, their body language and what they say, they show much more optimism and spirit unlike some of the Indian fans.

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
Well, India started to do well abroad, way before Dravid and Chappell.

Ganguly/Wright and Co. built a solid platform..something like a airforce runway. At the end though, there were some craters created in the runway...(Ganguly/Chappel saga, etc.) and now..Dravid and Chappell have so far, in ODI's, repaired those craters.

But the performance in tests is not that great, mainly due to different "experiments" Dravid/co. tried. It didn't work, and also, our batsmen were'nt in best of form. Of course, politics played a role as well.

Indian ODI squad is probably the best ever, the closest one was the 2003 WC squad.
Indian test squad is a little weak, you do not have quality pacemen, and tend to rely too much on Kumble, and Bhajji sometimes. OUr top order is also fragile. I'm sure Dravid will want to better the test performance, and WI is not a bad place to try that.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
newzolt said:
Well, I will have to check it out as the commentators on national television in India were saying this and it had also appeared in a newspaper.I will have to verify the facts.I wonder what is a split hattrick?
Good references there andrew_nixon.

Without even looking at these reference a hatrick for me has always been in the same match. It would be stupid for a hatrick to be given for 2 completly different matches played in completly different places and comeplelty different pitches. A hatrick should be done on the same pitch and against the same opposition.

Also if we could continue this hatick from previous matches if a bowler took 1 wicket in the last ball he bowled then got 2 more wickets in the next match he would have a hatrick. Thats a bit werid to me.

vinuatlast

Club Captain
well i guess andrew is right on this one...i mean hat-trick doesnt span matches...only innings and the same team..especially the same lineup....
If he ever was to get this hat-trick how odd will it look...

Sreesanth hat-trick...Wickets fallen
1.L.Plunkett 49.5
2.S.Mahmood 49.6
3.I.Farhat 0.1

its impossible...I mean this doesnt only span a match but also a series..so i dont think so..

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
cricket_lover said:
Well, India started to do well abroad, way before Dravid and Chappell.

Ganguly/Wright and Co. built a solid platform..something like a airforce runway. At the end though, there were some craters created in the runway...(Ganguly/Chappel saga, etc.) and now..Dravid and Chappell have so far, in ODI's, repaired those craters.

But the performance in tests is not that great, mainly due to different "experiments" Dravid/co. tried. It didn't work, and also, our batsmen were'nt in best of form. Of course, politics played a role as well.

Indian ODI squad is probably the best ever, the closest one was the 2003 WC squad.
Indian test squad is a little weak, you do not have quality pacemen, and tend to rely too much on Kumble, and Bhajji sometimes. OUr top order is also fragile. I'm sure Dravid will want to better the test performance, and WI is not a bad place to try that.

Yes. But our test squad will also get into shape soon. We didnt have good pacers. When Ganguly was at helm, we have Zaheer and Nehra. But both have almost faded away now to the oblivion. We had only Pathan. Dont know what was happening to Balaji. So we had some problems with that and we had to blood new guys like Sreesanth and Munaf. Sehwag is going through a bad patch and same with Sachin too. Lot are hoping they get back firing. Well its not bad waiting for Sachin to get back firing and it will tremendously boost India if he gets back firing. We have Yuvraj, Dravid who are doing well in both forms. Jaffer has fitted the role of opener pretty decently (though he has some flaws too).

West Indies should be a good place to rectify our test blips in recent times! And India should avoid experimentation now. Even with a few disasters, our major chunk of the squad is in place!

For the ODI's, our squad is almost built, and they are revelling in this format of the game. The flexibility that they are able to display in this format of the game really suits them and they enjoy this level of the game. Thats why India has been doing really really well in the ODI's in recent times!

vinuatlast said:
well i guess andrew is right on this one...i mean hat-trick doesnt span matches...only innings and the same team..especially the same lineup....
If he ever was to get this hat-trick how odd will it look...

Sreesanth hat-trick...Wickets fallen
1.L.Plunkett 49.5
2.S.Mahmood 49.6
3.I.Farhat 0.1

its impossible...I mean this doesnt only span a match but also a series..so i dont think so..

Well Sreesanth doesnt bowl the first over for the Indian bowling attack. Its always Pathan who does it. So technically speaking, that should be

"3. I.Farhat 1.1"

and that too if Sreesanth is given the second over of the match.

aussie1st said:
Without even looking at these reference a hatrick for me has always been in the same match. It would be stupid for a hatrick to be given for 2 completly different matches played in completly different places and comeplelty different pitches. A hatrick should be done on the same pitch and against the same opposition.

Also if we could continue this hatick from previous matches if a bowler took 1 wicket in the last ball he bowled then got 2 more wickets in the next match he would have a hatrick. Thats a bit werid to me.

I too agree mate! It should be on the same pitch against the same opposition on the same day! Thats what a hat trick is.

Users who are viewing this thread