Story England in Sri Lanka 2018: First ODI, Teams and Pitch Report

D

Dutch

I have decided to play the England tour to Sri Lanka, including warm-up games. I am keen to play a post Cook era England team and see how a new opening partnership might unfold. I am trying to make it as authentic as possible but am of course limited by the game limitations. One being that I haven't found a way of overriding the start times of games in the tour editor. But I can perhaps make a custom match type with the correct time?

These are the dates: will be doings some editing in the academy to setup the teams and stadiums: line ups and exact itenerary to follow!

20180927104718_1.jpg 20180927104725_1.jpg

D

Dutch

If you could fix it so that Jennings gets a pair in his first 2 matches, and is then dropped forever, I'd be very grateful.
I can assure you that that is on the top of my list as well: Jennings will however be opening in the warm-up game.....along with Rory Burns.....and will have Denly at three.......a new era is born!

D

Dutch

England Test Squad for the upcoming tour to Sri Lanka (Courtesy of Cric Info)

England Test Squad / Players

• Joe RootCaptain
    Age: 27 years 265 days, Playing role: Top-order batsman Batting: Right-hand bat Bowling: Right-arm offbreak

• Moeen Ali
    Age: 31 years 95 days, Playing role: Batting allrounder Batting: Left-hand bat Bowling: Right-arm offbreak

• James Anderson
    Age: 36 years 53 days, Playing role: Bowler Batting: Left-hand bat Bowling: Right-arm fast-medium

• Jonny BairstowWicketkeeper
    Age: 28 years 360 days, Playing role: Middle-order batsman Batting: Right-hand bat Bowling: Right-arm medium

• Stuart Broad
    Age: 32 years 89 days, Playing role: Bowler Batting: Left-hand bat Bowling: Right-arm fast-medium

• Rory Burns
    Age: 28 years 26 days, Batting: Left-hand bat Bowling: Right-arm medium

• Jos Buttler
    Age: 28 years 13 days, Playing role: Wicketkeeper batsman Batting: Right-hand bat

• Sam Curran
    Age: 20 years 110 days, Playing role: Allrounder Batting: Left-hand bat Bowling: Left-arm medium-fast

• Joe Denly
    Age: 32 years 189 days, Playing role: Opening batsman Batting: Right-hand bat Bowling: Legbreak

• Keaton Jennings
    Age: 26 years 94 days, Playing role: Opening batsman Batting: Left-hand bat Bowling: Right-arm medium-fast

• Jack Leach
    Age: 27 years 91 days, Batting: Left-hand bat Bowling: Slow left-arm orthodox

• Ollie Pope
    Age: 20 years 262 days, Playing role: Middle-order batsman Batting: Right-hand bat

• Adil Rashid
    Age: 30 years 216 days, Playing role: Bowler Batting: Right-hand bat Bowling: Legbreak

• Ben Stokes
    Age: 27 years 109 days, Playing role: Allrounder Batting: Left-hand bat Bowling: Right-arm fast-medium

• Olly Stone
    Age: 24 years 347 days, Batting: Right-hand bat Bowling: Right-arm fast

• Chris Woakes
    Age: 29 years 203 days, Playing role: Bowler Batting: Right-hand bat Bowling: Right-arm fast-medium

D

Dutch

Talking Points:

England embark on a new era. An era that is without the majestic Alistair Cook. Even though Cook by his own high standards has not been on the top of his game in the last year or two, he offered a great deal more than just a bat.
He will be missed in may ways. Who will forge the much needed opening partnership? Does Jennings get more time? Can Rory Burns forge his own path? Who will we look back on in the coming years and say: ah, that Sri lankan tour was the start of something great!?

Another talking point is the number three position. Root wants to bat at four. Ali has tried to fill the space at three but things are not going in his favour. With the inclusion of Joe Denly England seem to be loking at a short/medium term option. But who can fill that space in the years to come?

Olly Stone's inclusion has to be taken seriously and in the light of an England camp knowing that Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad will one day also be ead out to graze. Does he have the potential to fill the space of an opening bowler? Sri Lanka is not the place to blood fast bowlers one might say but there again there will be less expectation on spin freindly pitches and the experience of being in and around the setup will do him good.

An exciting new phase begins for England that has it's eye on both a home World Cup and an Ashes series against an Australian team that too is trying to find it's way again.

Last edited by a moderator:

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
Jamie Porter would've merited an inclusion but nice to see Olly Stone in there too! Generates serious pace one of the fastest English bowlers at the mo. Not the most favourable conditions but interesting to see what happens in the Kandy test.

Looking forward to seeing how Rory Burns fares in this!

D

Dutch

England ODI Squad to face Sri Lanka in five ODI"s:

• 1st ODI: Sri Lanka v England at Dambulla Oct 10, 2018 (14:30 local)
  • 2nd ODI: Sri Lanka v England at Dambulla Oct 13, 2018 (10:00 local)
  • 3rd ODI: Sri Lanka v England at Pallekele Oct 17, 2018 (14:30 local)
  • 4th ODI: Sri Lanka v England at Pallekele Oct 20, 2018 (10:00 local)
  • 5th ODI: Sri Lanka v England at Colombo (RPS) Oct 23, 2018 (14:30 local)

• Eoin MorganCaptain
  • Playing role: Middle-order batsman
  • Batting: Left-hand bat
  • Bowling: Right-arm medium

• Moeen Ali
  • Playing role: Batting allrounder
  • Bowling: Right-arm offbreak

• Jonny Bairstow
  • Batting: Right-hand bat

• Jos Buttler Wicketkeeper
  • Playing role: Wicketkeeper batsman

• Sam Curran
  • Playing role: Allrounder
  • Bowling: Left-arm medium-fast

• Tom Curran
  • Playing role: Bowling allrounder
  • Bowling: Right-arm fast-medium

• Liam Dawson
  • Playing role: Bowler
  • Bowling: Slow left-arm orthodox

• Alex Hales
  • Playing role: Opening batsman

• Liam Plunkett
  • Bowling: Right-arm fast

• Adil Rashid
  • Bowling: Legbreak

• Joe Root
  • Playing role: Top-order batsman
  • Bowling: Right-arm offbreak

• Jason Roy

• Ben Stokes
  • Playing role: Allrounder
  • Olly Stone

• Chris Woakes

• Mark Wood

D

Dutch

England give Stone a turn against Sri Lanka XI as England start with two one day games in Sri Lanka.......

Olly Stone has been included in the probable line-up to face a Sri Lankan select XI as England embark on their tour of Sri Lanka with the first of two one day games in Colombo. Trevor Bailey was keen to point out that he didn't want to just take players along for the numbers and wanted to give the new players a chance to get a feel for an international match although he admitted that the conditions wouldn't favour Stone but taking part would be of great value. He stated that Stone realised that unless one of the main bowlers were to need replacing the chances of him playing in the ODI's might be restricted due to the fact that England will want both Ali and Rashid in spin friendly conditions. The rest of the line-up has a familiar feel to it and the two one day warm-up matches will offer both bowlers and batsmen to get into their groove and adjust to the conditions here in Sri Lanka.

England probable line-up warm-up game against Sri Lanka XI

Hales
Bairstow
Root
Morgan (C)
Stokes
Butler (WK)
Ali
Curran
Wood
Woakes
Stone

D

Dutch

Explosive Root Powers England To Comfortable Warm-Up Win*

An incredible Joe Root masterclass powered England to an impressive win in their first warm-up game of their Sri Lankan tour. Although the opposition should be taken into account and the fact that the pitch played slow and comfortable for the batsmen on both sides nonetheless it was an impressive start for England. A score in excess of 340 is seemingly no problem for this England team when it is on fire, and on fire it was. Joe Root is not known for his power hitting but the relatively short boundaries and the slowness of the pitch enabled him to get into his groove as both he and Alex Hales combined in a quickfire 250 run plus partnership. Olly Stone impressed on debut with two wickets on a pitch made for batting. England will have learnt much about pitch conditions here in Sri Lanka from this game.

Tomorrow they play their second one-day match and will be full of confidence.

*simulated innings

20181001211028_1.jpg 20181001211038_1.jpg 20181001211200_1.jpg 20181001211208_1.jpg 20181001211240_1.jpg 20181001211247_1.jpg
20181001211258_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
Roooooooooooooot.

Are you planning on doing video highlights too or just write-ups?

D

Dutch

Roooooooooooooot.

Are you planning on doing video highlights too or just write-ups?
Rooooooooooot indeed! Apparently he went absolutely effing mental!
I will be doing much better presentations for the actual games....the warm ups I am simming and the actual games I will be playing and presenting both in write up fashion and videos and will chuck in some extra things like interviews and press conferences! I am hoping one of the clever boffins from the graphics forums will help me out with an embedded news-site type format thingy....stuff.....

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Rooooooooooot indeed! Apparently he went absolutely effing mental!
I will be doing much better presentations for the actual games....the warm ups I am simming and the actual games I will be playing and presenting both in write up fashion and videos and will chuck in some extra things like interviews and press conferences!
Awesome :thumbs

Users who are viewing this thread