England in the 90s

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Oh FFS. I get in, in a tour, and discover Murali has been set as a left arm chinaman.

For the first time I just couldn’t be bothered restarting in a play now, so simulated. Sri Lanka won by 5 wkts. This is the first time I’ve not played every ball of the match in the thread.

So as in real life, England lose all 4 tests of the tour, and head back home with the Aussies to face in a 6 match Ashes series.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Was it my Murali? Just so I can correct it if so? Also why is this Ashes tour 6 tests rather than 5?
not sure, may have been yeah.

English-based Ashes in the 80s and 90s were 6-match series, god knows why. Not sure if it was like that before, but 81, 85, 89, 93 & 97 were all 6 matches.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
my next couple of years if i make it are brutal

6 tests at home v australia
5 tests away v west indies
3 tests at home v New Zealand
3 test at home v South Africa
5 tests away v Australia
6 tests at home v West Indies
5 tests away v South Africa

i.n

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Good Afternoon Lads . The First Test of The 90/91 Ashes As Started In Australia . Australia Won The Toss And Decided To Bat First On Dusty Wicket They Are 2/99. @ Lunch.

The First Wicket Went @ 31/1 when M. TAYLOR Went for 17 .. bowled Fraser C. Russell . And Then The 2ND Wicket Went For 92/2 when Boon Was run out For 21.

England's Bowling As Follows - G. Small 7.ov. M 0. R22 W 0 Malcolm 6.OV. M .0.R 19. W0 - A. Fraser 8.OV. M1. R25 . W.1. C.Lewis - 5ov. M0. R26 W 0 P. Tufnell 2OV. M. 0. R 7 W 0 . Lets See How The 2nd Session Go's. Thanks Ian

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
Double checked and re-shared Mr Murali. Don't think it was mine as he was right arm finger spin. Had a bit change of his appearance anyway so he'll be good for 1994 :lol

20210110_165648_crop_5.jpg

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
@blockerdave I've been following this thread with interest and have been having plenty of ring catches myself. How have you found mentalities to work when bowling at AI batsmen? You think they are in evidence? And perks?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
@blockerdave I've been following this thread with interest and have been having plenty of ring catches myself. How have you found mentalities to work when bowling at AI batsmen? You think they are in evidence? And perks?

Yeah i think there's noticeable mentalities, although the basic skills mean it's difficult to be sure.

As for perks, i'm not sure. we can be certain the spin boost perks don't make the batsmen any better!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I randomly found myself watching an old DBC17 video of mine.

The visuals and most of the gameplay seem much better in C19, but a couple of things jumped out of me:

1. Look at the variety of dismissals! Caught in the ring, caught in the deep, if you follow the other vids from that match (first match links in first post) there's nearly every dismissal mode.
  2. Look at this! Mini catch game goes up, it's not out. Replay shows it flicking the back pad. Oh god I want that back.
  3. Retro kit... sigh... we're never getting that back are we?
One point, this was a two-day match, maybe it affected the dismissal types.

C19 is a better game than DBC17 for sure. But it's worth reflecting that DBC17 shipped with some big bug issues (fields not saving drove us all mad) but the gameplay at launch was pretty good.

Anyhoo, I might be taking a bit of a break from this project, or at least mixing it with something else. We'll see.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I randomly found myself watching an old DBC17 video of mine.

The visuals and most of the gameplay seem much better in C19, but a couple of things jumped out of me:

1. Look at the variety of dismissals! Caught in the ring, caught in the deep, if you follow the other vids from that match (first match links in first post) there's nearly every dismissal mode.
  2. Look at this! Mini catch game goes up, it's not out. Replay shows it flicking the back pad. Oh god I want that back.
  3. Retro kit... sigh... we're never getting that back are we?
One point, this was a two-day match, maybe it affected the dismissal types.

C19 is a better game than DBC17 for sure. But it's worth reflecting that DBC17 shipped with some big bug issues (fields not saving drove us all mad) but the gameplay at launch was pretty good.

Anyhoo, I might be taking a bit of a break from this project, or at least mixing it with something else. We'll see.
I see they had the same ugly trainers back then too.

The cuts between camera angles looks better in the old game, particularly for the shots going down square leg and deep point. I like the nice simple hud too. Would much rather have player information (stamina etc) displayed as a pop-out from the player. Optional or periodically displayed.

I reckon if you took the best bits from each game and combined it you'd have a classic. For me Cricket 19 has the fewest overall flaws but I played the hell out of DBC 14 in test matches.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I see they had the same ugly trainers back then too.

The cuts between camera angles looks better in the old game, particularly for the shots going down square leg and deep point. I like the nice simple hud too. Would much rather have player information (stamina etc) displayed as a pop-out from the player. Optional or periodically displayed.

I reckon if you took the best bits from each game and combined it you'd have a classic. For me Cricket 19 has the fewest overall flaws but I played the hell out of DBC 14 in test matches.

yeah, the problem has always been improving x or adding y without totally losing z.

every iteration has improved in the sense of I’ve played more matches and competitions to completion... DBC14 the lack of edges would always get to me in test matches.

C19 as shown although I’ve just recently got a little “fatigued” I’ve played 30 test matches in this thread, every single ball. (31st i simulated.) Before this id played plenty of others to completion every ball too.

Wavelberry

International Cricketer
yeah, the problem has always been improving x or adding y without totally losing z.

every iteration has improved in the sense of I’ve played more matches and competitions to completion... DBC14 the lack of edges would always get to me in test matches.

C19 as shown although I’ve just recently got a little “fatigued” I’ve played 30 test matches in this thread, every single ball. (31st i simulated.) Before this id played plenty of others to completion every ball too.

Sometimes you need to take a break. That's why I am hitting the experiments before I head back to more Essex test matches. There's only so many times I can bat 500 balls as Nick Browne and see Jamie Porter only pick up 2-39 in a 300ish score because his nicks just won't carry.

i.n

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Been Playing 90/91 Ashes but not took any Has of yet . Wavelberry

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread