England National football team thread

Auwais

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'd rather have him in there than the headless chicken that is Glen Johnson.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I'd rather have him in there than the headless chicken that is Glen Johnson.

Ye its unimaginable that Capello could still retain Johnson now. Micah Richards have to be in the squad for the friendly vs Denmark. But i think Walker needs more game time @ Villa before we start talking about playing RB for ENG. Liverpool's Martin Kelly is ahead of him currently.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
A potential Gerrard/Wilshire central mid-field partnership?

I was thinking about this the other day. Given the OBVIOUS problem ENG mid-field has with no proper defensive-midfielder now that Barry is in decline & Hargreaves is unlikely to come back.

Looking ahead to EURO 2012, im starting to feel ENG may have no choice but to play Gerrard/Wilshire in the mid-field in a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 formation:

---------------------------Gerrard-----------Wilshire----------------------

Walcott/Johnson---------------------Rooney-------------------------Milner

------------------------------------Carroll--------------------------------

We all know Gerrard is superb box-to-box mid-fielder. Has a very sold passing & defensive game, very disciplined position & an excellent football brain to know when he can get forward or not. While Wilshire has been displaying those skills @ Arsenal all season.

So IMO i think pairing them could be the answer the ENG mid-field quandary. Thoughts?

----------

TheFA.com - VIDEO: Southgate takes up new role

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Martin Kelly has shown to be a much better right back than Glen Johnson in a handful of first team games.

War

Chairman of Selectors
TheFA.com - Team

Basically the best squad really. But just a few minor queries:

- Not sure why he picked 25 instead of the normal 23

- As many would agree G Johnson should be in the national team anymore. Any two of Walker, Richards or Kelly should be in as ENGs right-back options from now on.

- No way should Downing be in, with Lennon fit. Unless Lennon has suffered some injury after the spurs game that we dont know about.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
BBC Sport - Football - England squad hit by withdrawals ahead of Denmark match

Oh dear. Now this friendly has officially become dull. Since the two biggest things i was hoping to see was the Rooney/Carroll & Gerrard/Wilshire striker & mid-field partnerships.

----------

Kyle Walker races into England line-up | Mail Online

Giving the lad a bit of hype with this statement:

Imagine a full back with the defensive qualities of Gary Neville and attacking instinct of Ashley Cole. Fabio Capello will not have to fantasise about that for much longer.

War

Chairman of Selectors

Auwais

International Coach
David Pizarro at Roma is the best example I can think of. Both similar to the type of midfielder Mani was referring to in the other thread.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Pizarro is a wonderful player (not much more to say than that haha).

Wilshere is an interesting player. He has great technique which is the base of any good player. He shows very good maturity for a player of his age, but still has this aggression and drive to get forward. Not really sure on what his best role actually is. Arsenal are a lot different to many teams in the style that they play, everyone has an urge to get forward and it's all about pressing and positioning higher up the pitch. For England I can see his qualities being squashed as a simple central midfielder.

Users who are viewing this thread