England National football team thread

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned

Yep Martin Samuels on point as usual. In a perfect world Wilshire should be given a free-role like what Xavi & Pirlo has & he should have a strong defensive mid-fielder next to him (like he has with Song @ Arsenal).

Barry cant do that job, since he has proven @ international level he needs another defensive mid-fielder like he has @ City (Toure, De Jong) to help him out.

Parker is a bit of a unknown in this role, but we have a year to decide.

Another young options along with Cattermole is Phil Jones of Blackburn & maybe Fabirce Muamba, but im not sure about these fellows.

Overall it again comes back to how much Hargreaves is missed. So really until/if Hargreaves miraculously is fit for EURO 2012 or Parker can prove he is a DM of international quality. ENG just have to use Gerrard/Wilshire as the mid-field duo.

----------

Forget Jack Wilshere, Chelsea midfielder Josh McEachran is the real future of England, claims Marc Albrighton | Mail Online

Very similar to Wilshire based on the little ive seen of him.

----------

After Fabio's big Wilshere experiment, here are a few we've tried before - with some pretty mixed results... | Mail Online

Anyone here remember the World Cup 1998 qualifier vs Italy in Rome?. One of my favourite England games that.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Wilshere's Arsenal role is very difficult to replicate. Song very much has licence to get forward, and him and Wilshere take it in turns doing so. They press higher up the pitch and have better understanding.

England have some very good players, it's just difficult to get the best out of them in the same side. Rooney has looked much better of the striker, dropping deep etc. But for him to do that, England would have to go with a 2 man midfield. Gerrard/Lampard and Gerrard/Barry have proven not to work, and Lampard/Barry would mean dropping Gerrard which is obviously not really possible. It's difficult to see how Wilshere would actually fit into that side.

Having said that, Rooney played very well last season in a 4-5-1, dropping deep and playing in a manner similar to van Persie for Arsenal. A 3 man midfield would be much better for England as they don't have a top class natural defensive midfielder, as it would deny more space in the middle. A partnership I think would be good is Gerrard-Lampard/Wilshere-Carrick. We've seen the Gerrard-Lucas-Meireles partnership to be very good this season for Liverpool. Lucas plays similarly to Carrick in that he has excellent reading of the game, and keeps things simple. Meireles is very similar to Lampard in that he plays quick simple passes, then makes driving late runs into the box. However Carrick didn't even make the squad this time which is a real shame, as he has been very good of late.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Having said that, Rooney played very well last season in a 4-5-1, dropping deep and playing in a manner similar to van Persie for Arsenal. A 3 man midfield would be much better for England as they don't have a top class natural defensive midfielder, as it would deny more space in the middle. A partnership I think would be good is Gerrard-Lampard/Wilshere-Carrick. We've seen the Gerrard-Lucas-Meireles partnership to be very good this season for Liverpool. Lucas plays similarly to Carrick in that he has excellent reading of the game, and keeps things simple. Meireles is very similar to Lampard in that he plays quick simple passes, then makes driving late runs into the box. However Carrick didn't even make the squad this time which is a real shame, as he has been very good of late.

Yes good point about the 3-man mid-field & Rooney playing up front by himself.

But Rooney would have regain his early 2009/10 United form in time for Euro 2012 for that to happen though. As of right now he is not even half-way close that goal-scoring form.

I dont trust Carrick @ international level really to be honest & i suspect Capello feels that same regardless of his current decent form for United. Wilshire looks more suited to doing his role @ international level.

However before we reach to that position. Looking ahead to the Wales game, i think we have time to further test out Parker in a defensive midfield role over the next 12 months & see how he goes.

Walcott-----------------------Parker------------------Wilshire--------------Gerrard

--------------------------------------------Rooney-------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------Carroll--------------------------------

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Rooney may not be scoring freely like last season, but I think he's been much more effective in terms of the whole team. He's 3rd in the assist rankings this season, behind Arshavin (amazing considering how badly he's been criticised) and Nani. The Utd side looks so much more potent when Rooney + Berbatov play together, even when they're not playing well.

Carrick is one of England's best players and it's a real shame that he's been bombarded by media criticism over the years. He had 6 months (if that!) of bad form and was criticised to no end. What about the previous 5/6 years of brilliance from him? Players like Xabi Alonso and Xavi have been quoted as praising Carrick and stating that he should be in the England team. You don't get much better praise about a midfielder than from Xavi and Alonso!

Another player I forgot is Huddlestone. Pre-injury, he was in fantastic form. Hopefully when he returns he can pick up where he left off, because he was really starting to become a good player.

JBlues08

Club Captain
Another young options along with Cattermole is Phil Jones of Blackburn & maybe Fabirce Muamba, but im not sure about these fellows.

Forget Jack Wilshere, Chelsea midfielder Josh McEachran is the real future of England, claims Marc Albrighton | Mail Online

Very similar to Wilshire based on the little ive seen of him.

You still have Jack Rodwell in the defensive midfield role but he's out injured again.

As for Mceachran, well, if only Ancelotti decides to start him in PL matches rather than just bring him in when we are already cruising in games. :facepalm

War

Chairman of Selectors
New West Brom manager Roy Hodgson already keeping one eye on England job - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Dont think he would be the worst replacement for Fabio to be honest. Since although Redknapp is the preferred choice, the chances of Tottenham letting him go next season with them trying to become a major premier league force is highly unlikely to happen.

----------

You still have Jack Rodwell in the defensive midfield role but he's out injured again.

As for Mceachran, well, if only Ancelotti decides to start him in PL matches rather than just bring him in when we are already cruising in games. :facepalm

One minute i hear Rodwell is DM, next minute he is a AM, next minute he is playing in hole :lol.

On McEachran, yea im interested to see when/if Ancelotti will put similar fate in his young talent like Wenger has done with Wilshire & start him in more games.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Rooney may not be scoring freely like last season, but I think he's been much more effective in terms of the whole team. He's 3rd in the assist rankings this season, behind Arshavin (amazing considering how badly he's been criticised) and Nani. The Utd side looks so much more potent when Rooney + Berbatov play together, even when they're not playing well.

Ye & currently Rooney is playing in the hole behind Berbatov. Which is what he would do being Carroll for ENG.

But who knows maybe that wonder-goal yesterday may rekindle that pre WC 2010 injury goal-scoring form. Since i certainly dont mind an ENG 4-5-1 formation with Rooney as the lone striket like this:

-------------------------Parker---------Wilshire---------------------------

Walcott------------------------Gerrard----------------------Milner/Johnson

---------------------------------Rooney----------------------------------

Carrick is one of England's best players and it's a real shame that he's been bombarded by media criticism over the years. He had 6 months (if that!) of bad form and was criticised to no end. What about the previous 5/6 years of brilliance from him? Players like Xabi Alonso and Xavi have been quoted as praising Carrick and stating that he should be in the England team. You don't get much better praise about a midfielder than from Xavi and Alonso!

Another player I forgot is Huddlestone. Pre-injury, he was in fantastic form. Hopefully when he returns he can pick up where he left off, because he was really starting to become a good player.

The thing with Carrick regardless of how good he has been playing, is that even in big game like the one vs City yesterday. Ferguson still started Scholes who has been regularly crocked all season, such a lack of faith is one of the main reason why Capello probably & understandably is reluctant to pick him. Since surely by now Carrick in SAFs view should be taking over from Scholes in his twilight days.

Doubt whether Huddlestone also would get much 1st XI game time @ Tottenham when he returns either TBH, which wouldn't help his international claims as well. Best Spurs XI:

---------------------------------Gomes-----------------------------------

Hutton-------------------Gallas--------------Dawson----------------Ekotto

-------------------------Modric------------Palacios------------------------

Lennon----------------------------VDV--------------------------------Bale

-------------------------------Defoe/Crouch/RP---------------------------

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
I don't think it was necessarily a lack of faith. Last season Scholes was the best player vs Man City by far. Probably more of a "tactical reason" than simply a lack of faith. If Fergie didn't have faith with him, considering his age, I think he would've offloaded him by now. Fergie started with Carrick vs Arsenal, Chelsea in Community shield off the top of my head. He's a vital player in the Utd side.

I quite liked the Modric/Huddlestone/van der Vaart triumvite in the centre of midfield. 3 very intelligent, technically excellent players who were well rounded in attack and defence.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Fabio Capello's successor as England boss will earn ?3m-a-year as FA look to cut costs | Mail Online

----------

Time for Fabio Capello to unleash Jack Wilshere as new Paul Gascoigne | Mail Online

Hmm not the worst idea to suggest Ferdinand playing that "Makelele role" for ENG i must say. Portugal have done a similar thing with Pepe with fairly solid success.

So maybe something like this:

--------------------------------Hart--------------------------------------

Richards/Kelly/Johnson-----Terry--------Dawson/Jaigelka---------------Cole

-------------------------------Ferdinand----------------------------------

---------------Gerrard------------------------Wilshire---------------------

Walcott-----------------------------------------------------Milner/Johnson

-------------------------------Rooney------------------------------------

Last edited:

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
What about a diamond? Barry deepest, Lampard and Wilshere central and Gerrard at tip. Cole and Johnson excellent for overlaps and width. Rooney could drop off while Bent/Defoe is the traditional forward. That midfield would be very good technically and very much a "passing midfield".

War

Chairman of Selectors
What about a diamond? Barry deepest, Lampard and Wilshere central and Gerrard at tip. Cole and Johnson excellent for overlaps and width. Rooney could drop off while Bent/Defoe is the traditional forward. That midfield would be very good technically and very much a "passing midfield".

If im reading you correctly is this the formaiton you are suggesting?

------------------------------Hart----------------------------------------

Johnson---------------Ferdinand---------Terry----------------------Cole

-----------------------------Barry----------------------------------------

----------Lampard----------Gerrard-----------Wilshire---------------------

----------------------Rooney----------Bent/Defoe-------------------------

If it is we have two problems immediately:

- Firstly Barry as we both know isn't good enough to occupy that deep role @ international level. His poor form in that role is why we have this mid-field quandary since the world cup & why the Parker is now ahead of him & talk of Ferdinand to play that role is being suggesting.

- Secondly. I dont think English players can play competently without wingers TBH. The only time i recall England tying to play without wingers in my 15 years of watching football, was the shameful night in vs Croatia in Zagreb during the EURO 08 qualifier, when McClaren tried a 3-5-2/5-3-2 & we know what happened (and we have Comrade G Neville their too). Such a formations suites sides like Brazil, Spain, Italy, Argentina really.

Also given this formation relies heavily on having very fit, willing left and right backs to charge up and down the wings to provide the width that this formation lacks. We could only depend on Cole to do that, Johnson defensive vulnerability would be disaster really, plus im not sure if Kelly or Richards has the legs to do this role either.

But i personally that that suggestion by the dailymail reporter to play Ferdinand in that defensive-midfield role could seriously be the answer to ENGs problems the more i think about it. As i said you think about how Portugal has being doing a similar thing with Pepe given they dont have a strong DM & thats aided them quite well

Only change i'd make now. Is presuming he performs the way i expect in the next, id have Carroll leading the line instead of Rooney, since i dont think Capello likes Rooney leading the line as short striker @ international level (although he can) & i sort of agree. Rooney could be given license to roam free starting from the left like what Villa did for Spain during the world cup.

--------------------------------Hart--------------------------------------

Richards/Kelly/Johnson-----Terry--------Dawson/Jaigelka---------------Cole

-------------------------------Ferdinand----------------------------------

---------------Gerrard------------------------Wilshire---------------------

Walcott-----------------------------------------------Rooney-------------

-------------------------------Carroll------------------------------------

War

Chairman of Selectors
I don't think it was necessarily a lack of faith. Last season Scholes was the best player vs Man City by far. Probably more of a "tactical reason" than simply a lack of faith. If Fergie didn't have faith with him, considering his age, I think he would've offloaded him by now. Fergie started with Carrick vs Arsenal, Chelsea in Community shield off the top of my head. He's a vital player in the Utd side.

Well yes Scholes was superb last season & had a superb season start with his community shield effort. While Carrick was fairly poor last season, so basically Carrick came into this season with alot to prove & SAF understandably would have still had Scholes has his main mid-fielder.

Yea Carrick started the community shield instead of Fletcher. But Scholes has basically been injured alot this season thats why he missed the Arsenal & Tottenham big matches (age the obvious reason) & Carrick has been playing those games. Now in the major City clash with Scholes back, SAF didn't go back the Carrick/Scholes C-Shield partnership, but benched Carrick. Which wasn't a good sign.

You look @ the next veteran Giggs - argubaly the best left-winger of all-time. If Valencia wasn't injured his days playing down the left & being a starter for United was done. He was basically since last season being used more as a attacking mid-fielder or a super-sub. But of course Giggs is showing he is ageless & its as if Valencia isn't missed ATM for united.

Carrick unfortunately hasn't been able to put Scholes (as Xavi called him, the best mid-fielder of the last 20 years) in the same position in SAFs eyes the way Valencia was doing to Giggs.

Users who are viewing this thread