England tour of New Zealand 2019

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
Stokes is probably the only option for a change if you're doing it for the next series, I think a lot of people just fear what happened to Root happening to him. As for vice captain I wouldn't say Woakes as I think Curran gets in the team ahead of him 9/10 times atm, so I'd be tempted to go to Burns and build him up for the full captaincy long term.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Stokes is probably the only option for a change if you're doing it for the next series, I think a lot of people just fear what happened to Root happening to him. As for vice captain I wouldn't say Woakes as I think Curran gets in the team ahead of him 9/10 times atm, so I'd be tempted to go to Burns and build him up for the full captaincy long term.
How would you feel about Denly, and then onto Burns?

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
How would you feel about Denly, and then onto Burns?

Is Denly's place even guaranteed in this team? Burns seems like the correct choice with Stokes as the VC. As I have said previously, I would definitely try Stokes as the captain because even though it is too much responsibility on him, It might bring out something even more special from him.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
I would be strongly against giving Stokes the captaincy; not anything to do with his form, but because he'd absolutely bowl himself straight onto the surgeon's table in pursuit of a crucial wicket or two.

Although equally I'd kinda rather Stokes did that to himself than Root continues doing that to Archer. At least if Stokes crocks himself he can continue being a high-quality batsman.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
If Burns was averaging 55 like Graeme Smith when he was made captain, or 77 after 13 matches, I'd say it's worth a shot. As it is you'd be taking a huge punt on a player with an average record (he is a century better off than Stoneman and Hales and an average slightly less than Sam Robson).

I think Root needs to see through this and the South Africa tour. Root and Silverwood may have figured it out. If not, at that point Burns or Buttler might have put themselves into real contention. But Stokes would still be my pick.

Users who are viewing this thread