asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Finally England's day. WI would be very disappointed to fold up for a mere 150-odd after the solid start that they had. It's England's game to lose now.

Some fiery bowling from Wood there. I was surprised to see him clock 150+ kmph. I don't remember him being that quick. Wonder what he did to get there.

D

Deleted member 193590

Finally England's day. WI would be very disappointed to fold up for a mere 150-odd after the solid start that they had. It's England's game to lose now.

Some fiery bowling from Wood there. I was surprised to see him clock 150+ kmph. I don't remember him being that quick. Wonder what he did to get there.

he's been working in the UAE with the lions for the last couple of months.And because of all his injuries they've totally changed his run up.he's coming off a longer run up now means he can get more rhythm and pace,and hopefully less injuries.

D

Dutch

@blockerdave......something to warm the cockles :lol:facepalm

"If Ian Bell starts the season well, would you bat him at three in the Ashes? I would.", Michael Vaughan suggests a Test return for Ian Bell if he begins the County season positively!"

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
England are dealing with a problem of plenty of the same kind and a really timid captain. I think Root is one of the most overrated batsmen in the world. Sure, he has a good average and gets you a certain number on the board but how many of his starts does he convert and take England to safety or victory? In that respect, Stokes and Bairstow are leagues ahead in my book. Let's not even talk about the likes of Kohli, Williamson or Smith.

Personally, England need to find a couple of good openers. That's the start of the rut. As captain and the best batter with potential to be a Kohli/Williamson/Smith, Root must bat at 3 whether he likes it or not. Bairstow at 4 because he's too good to be wasted at 7 and without the gloves. Look at what it did to Sanga's career once he let go off the gloves? Stokes at 5, Ali at 6, Foakes at 7 and Woakes at 8.

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
England are dealing with a problem of plenty of the same kind and a really timid captain. I think Root is one of the most overrated batsmen in the world. Sure, he has a good average and gets you a certain number on the board but how many of his starts does he convert and take England to safety or victory? In that respect, Stokes and Bairstow are leagues ahead in my book. Let's not even talk about the likes of Kohli, Williamson or Smith.

Personally, England need to find a couple of good openers. That's the start of the rut. As captain and the best batter with potential to be a Kohli/Williamson/Smith, Root must bat at 3 whether he likes it or not. Bairstow at 4 because he's too good to be wasted at 7 and without the gloves. Look at what it did to Sanga's career once he let go off the gloves? Stokes at 5, Ali at 6, Foakes at 7 and Woakes at 8.
You don't want Buttler in the team? He was one of England's highest run scored in this format last year I guess. Ton against India. And many more good innings he played.

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

None of Kohli, Williamson or Smith bat at 3 so why should Root?

Ali in the top 6? Behave.

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
None of Kohli, Williamson or Smith bat at 3 so why should Root?

Ali in the top 6? Behave.

I agree, Root shouldn't bat at 3 if he's working at 4, and he's clearly working at 4. Although to be fair, Williamson bats at 3, and Smith averages close to 62 with 4 centuries in 24 innings at 3. Kohli has in fact mainly batted at 4 in his test career. It's probably also fair to say that both Kohli and Root can now bat anywhere and still be great, but why try to fix something that's not broken. Surely there is one batsman in England who can bat there.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I agree, Root shouldn't bat at 3 if he's working at 4, and he's clearly working at 4. Although to be fair, Williamson bats at 3, and Smith averages close to 62 with 4 centuries in 24 innings at 3. Kohli has in fact mainly batted at 4 in his test career. It's probably also fair to say that both Kohli and Root can now bat anywhere and still be great, but why try to fix something that's not broken. Surely there is one batsman in England who can bat there.

Perhaps I’m wrong but I thought Williamson was at 4 in the SL series?

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Perhaps I’m wrong but I thought Williamson was at 4 in the SL series?
From what I recall I think he was at 3. He's been the one person in the names you mentioned who bats consistently at 3. I've always rated him as perhaps the most underrated in cricket's elite batsmen. Perhaps that has something to do with his demeanor, which I also appreciate by the way.

EDIT: He's perhaps also an underrated captain.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
From what I recall I think he was at 3. He's been the one person in the names you mentioned who bats consistently at 3. I've always rated him as perhaps the most underrated in cricket's elite batsmen. Perhaps that has something to do with his demeanor, which I also appreciate by the way.

EDIT: He's perhaps also an underrated captain.

He is an excellent captain for sure.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Windies are literally England of the first two matches in this match.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India

There's really no point putting Root at 3 if he struggles to score there. Root is undoubtedly one of the best batsman in that English lineup. He needs to be where it works for him as well, he even struggled last summer batting at 3. I agree with Bairstow being a very good batsman, therefore I'd give him an extended run at #3. He scored a hundred in SL and a fifty this series. The selection of Denly is mind-boggling, England has taken a step backward with bringing him in at 3 and Bairstow at 7. As you said, he's deprived of showcasing his batting talent at 7. Bring Foakes/Buttler at 6, and drop Ali a spot to 7, that should be a solid top seven.

Users who are viewing this thread