England vs PM's XI @ Manuka Oval

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Great start from the English bowlers, getting some prodigious swing from both Woakes and Shahzad. Just had an LBW appeal turned down that looked very close and with Khwaja batting in white pads was always a difficult decision.

The umpire at Woakes' end, Mr Andrew Shelly did an exchange programme as a chemistry teacher at my school on England. was a tutor in my house in his time as well, great guy and has a great knowledge of the game.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, dunno who's hosting it in Australia but its definitely being shown there as we've got the Aussie feed.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
As Jack said, we have the Aussie feed so it must be being shown on some channel. Bowlers have been loose since the first few overs and leaking the runs without looking too threatening.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Who is the other commentator with Kasper? Very different accent from the Aussie or English one.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Gladstone Small, he has no neck.

Haha. Ah yep thought I heard the Caribbean accent in there.

----------

Over to Christian time, if he can make some runs today that should make him a given for the ODI side assuming he isn't already in the side.

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
Ahhh Sammy got out to a stunner.. shame he looked nervous but hits the ball very VERY hard! I can certainly tell you that I have been on the end of it lol

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Deadset that was shocking umpiring. He knew he got the call wrong for the first no ball and then he calls him again when hes even further back.

CortezTheKiller

Club Cricketer
Been a masterclass from Bell. He looks in such good nick just now.

I was a little disappointed in Copeland, I have to say. Kid has big wraps on him and his FC figures are v impressive but looks a bit of a plodder to me. Certainly not the quickest and, in fact, has been slower than Dan Christian.

Having seen Cameron in the Oz A fixture before the Ashes I'd say he looks the more likely test candidate of the two.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I've seen Copeland bowl quicker than that, but he always looks like he really needs to bulk up. It's all in that Mike Whitney comment to describe Glenn McGrath; "thin, but Ambrose thin, not Bruce Reid thin." There's a certain amount of chunkiness that just makes for a good paceman, even if he's just looking to bowl hundreds of 135 kph deliveries.

I find that's one of the reasons why that whole u-19 group are starting to leapfrog more established players; in spite of their age, they're all just built like trucks.

Stacks of good bowlers have gone on to become great bowlers with a bit of intensive work; sometimes training with a footy team or playing overseas club cricket in the off-season, but while it's great to see a 30 year old start to develop 90 mph like Ryan Harris or Shane Harwood, it's no doubt advantageous if you can get to that stage as soon as possible.

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
It was one of the local umpires.. shows how good our grade standards are

Shame Ryan Carters didnt get a go this year im sure he will be back after being the NZ keeper before.. lol

Sureshot

Executive member
Nice ton from Bell. Bowling? Yardy stands out, 3 wickets and going under 4 rpo. Shahzad got some wickets but was also expensive. I want to see Shahzad play in the ODIs/T20s.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Shahzad for me. Swung the new ball both ways and was zippy throughout, though he probably should have produced something from that early movement. The ball at the end of his first over was pretty spectacular, but it only hit Paine on the hip. If he'd bowled a yorker that jagged in like that, it would almost certainly have been a wicket.

I think Yardy was just typical Yardy, but they played him badly, as you might expect of an inexperienced batting order. I know he doesn't turn it much, but if he does get any turn or just beats you for pace and you're always playing across the line, you're likely to get trapped. Ferguson probably played him the best, going more straight down the ground and even into the offside gaps.

Users who are viewing this thread