Your Cricket English and Kashmir Willow.

rvdthunder

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
its the type of tree, and im guessing that was named after where its from, one from england, and another from kashmir. but seriously, never, ever buy a kashmir bat, always get english, ALWAYS

KBC

Panel of Selectors
Sachin and Dravid used Kashmir willow bats in the late 90's.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Kashmir - type of wood used to make the cheaper crappier bats mainly for cheapos or/and little kids. oh and these ones can't be oiled.

English - premium wood that is used to make the bigger,thicker,better bats. most international cricket players use english willow bats.

jordang

School Cricketer
Kashmir willow is harder and more brittle than english - and sometimes heavier, which means that it probably wont last as long. Although a friend of mine who makes bats said that a top class kashmir is as good as a grade 3 english!

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Kashmir Willow rules and yeah those Kookaburras use it too.

Animator!

School Cricketer
Kashmir willow is generally a much worse quality, much harder, needs a lot more work and mostly if you play regularly, game once a week, one or two net sessions during the week, then a Kashmir willow bat probably won't last you more than 6 months.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Man Im speaking from experience. Almost 80% of Indian sports gear is manufactured in Jallandhar and I used to live around the Sports goods manufacturing market. I know how strong and good Kashmir Willow is.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Kashmir - type of wood used to make the cheaper crappier bats mainly for cheapos or/and little kids. oh and these ones can't be oiled.

English - premium wood that is used to make the bigger,thicker,better bats. most international cricket players use english willow bats.

Kashmir willow is generally a much worse quality, much harder, needs a lot more work and mostly if you play regularly, game once a week, one or two net sessions during the week, then a Kashmir willow bat probably won't last you more than 6 months.

Kashmir is for the kiddies, if you want to play real cricket then English is the way to go.

KBC

Panel of Selectors
Kashmir willow bats are especially used by the great batsmen before they entered the international level. The wood is especially used to master strokes and increase and make your flexibility by an unlimited times. And, English willow is used to play with in the international level by which the batsmen can easily break through the bowlers with the ability they achieved with the kashmir willow bats' practice and the power and premium wood quality of the english willows.

JonAd

School Cricketer
Ignoring the rambling rubbish posted above (are you on drugs?, you surely need help in some way), lets look at both types of willow.

The main difference in the two is derived from their growing conditions. Kashmir willow is traditionally grown in dryer conditions and therefore has a lower moisture content than that of English willow, which is traditionally planted next to a water course.

It is this lack of moisture that makes the fibres within the wood less able to spring and rebound, which in turns makes the wood harder. It is also because of the lack of moisture that Kashmir willow tends to be more brittle and suffer from a shortened life span.

However, a top quality Kashmir bat can (and often will) play as well if not better than a low grade English willow bat, especially if chosen correctly. Accordingly, if the bat is well maintained there is no reason to expect a dramatically shorter life span either.

Wherever possible try to obtain a good quality grade 2 English willow bat but if funds or availability dictate otherwise then don't be put off by the perceived stigma attached to Kashmir. The BCCI is investing in improving the quality of the Kashmir willow, through a program of selective breeding as well as the introductions of hybrid species.

Given enough time there is no reason to suggest that Kashmir willow cannot become a viable alternative to anything except the finest English Willow clefts.

Last edited:

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Just thought I'd say that Tendulkar uses Kashmir Willow...:rolleyes:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Kashmir willow is used to manufacture bats for the subcontinental players.
It is of a better quality.Now,you may ask how i can claim this...One of my friends is the owner of the compnay BDM. He told me.English willow is not so popular,esp in the subcontinent.

Prominent players who use Kash willow-Tendulkar,Yunus Khan,I ul Haq.

Users who are viewing this thread