Who is your county team?

• Total voters

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Pity though. If we had all our bowlers we could have maybe forced a result...

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Pity though. If we had all our bowlers we could have maybe forced a result...

Will be very interesting to see the team for the next game now though, if Dawson and Ervine are both out along with Edwards then we don't really have an all rounder left from outside the team so McLaren will probably have to slot up to 7. Crane and Wheal would then presumably slot into the bowling lineup and with hope Adams will be back from injury and be able to replace Ervine, not a clue whether he'll return to opening or not though. Probably a bit too early to consider whether Alsop should be dropped for McManus or Weatherley though and I haven't really kept up to date with the individual scores in the 2nd XI but from what I gather it was a pretty poor show in the latest game.

bigred

Club Captain
My plan for reducing cricket in England and increasing the quality

- 3 divisions in CC of 7. Scotland, Ireland and Holland added to Div 3. Played in months of April, May, July and September.
- EPL franchise t20 comp. teams would be Leeds, Manchester, X2 London teams, Wales, Birmingham, South, West Country. Play each other twice with semi finals for top 4 teams. This tournament played in a block in June.
- 20 team 50 over cup competition. Unicorns and winners of Carribean 50 over comp added. 5 teams in 4 groups. Just play each other once with top two in each going into the quarter finals. Played in block in August.

- County championship matches = 12
- EPL matches = 14-16 (depending on how well you do)
- 50 over matches = 3-6 (depending on how well you do)

Slight issue might be not playing enough 50 over cricket, so perhaps play 6 group games if schedule allows. This would still be fewer than the current system.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
none of ireland, scotland or the netherlands would accept a place in the championship; for the same reasons that they left the one day competition a few years back

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
It's a brilliant effort from D/L to keep on surprising us. Somerset v Essex. Somerset started their innings as a 47 over game, got rained off after 3 overs, then turned into a 29 over game. So fair enough, we might get a couple extra runs, if anything, right? Wrong. Essex are chasing 2 less than Somerset scored, off the same amount of overs. Bizarre.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
For me, if you want to increase the number of teams in county cricket, you have to reward those who are consistently good. Therefore, I'd suggest:

1. Make Devon a first-class county
In recent years, they have been very impressive at churning out first-class players. In recent years alone, we have seen Matthew Wood, Chris Read, Lewis Gregory, Craig Overton, James Burke, Jamie Overton, Adam Dibble, Charlie Morris and the late Tom Allin. Possibly the next one off the production line is Dan Escott, who is a very gifted opening batsman who might play in the Varsity game this year, but missed the MCCU games because he was in Russia. That's a startling list, particularly bowlers, to have come out of a minor county. They could play their games at Torquay Cricket Club, which looks to be the pre-eminent facility in the area.

KRQ24.jpg
Torquay Cricket Club's home ground.

2. Offer an olive branch to an under-represented community
There are multiple opportunities here, but I have two favourite options. Either you try to reach out to the British Asian community (which makes up 40% of our recreational player pool) by creating a representative team to try to embrace that community, or you create a second Welsh team to try to harness the area with the highest density of club cricket anywhere outside the Channel Islands. (Or you create a Channel Islands team.)

lC3xr.png
|
5dumJ.jpg
Bradford Park Avenue as a home ground for "British Asian CC"... | ... or Colwyn Bay as a home for "Conwy CCC"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Alternatively, you let Wales become an independent cricket nation, let Northants go inevitably bust and have a 16-team competition.

Last edited:

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
What a knock from Billings! I'm really looking forward to seeing him at Islamabad United next season.

Aislabie

Ireland
County Championship XI:

Keaton Jennings (Durham)
Haseeb Hameed (Lancs)
Ben Duckett (Nhants)
Kumar Sangakkara (Surrey) :os:
Nick Gubbins (Middx)
Ben Foakes (Surrey) :wk:
Tim Bresnan (Yorks)
Keith Barker (Warks)
Ollie Rayner (Middx)
Jack Brooks (Yorks)
Jack Leach (Smset)

Reserves:
Sam Northeast (Kent)
Ed Joyce (Sussex)
Graham Napier (Essex)
Ben Sanderson (Nhants)

I've mostly left out England regulars, as well as sticking to one overseas player. No idea who I'd make captain.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
So it turns out James Hildreth scored a Ton on a broken ankle yesterday. Incredible stuff. Looks like being an exciting climax to the season.

D

Deleted member 46200

Just wondering if I'll get into trouble for reviving this thread considering the season has started and it's back in relevance...?

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Just wondering if I'll get into trouble for reviving this thread considering the season has started and it's back in relevance...?
The thread is about English Domestic Season. You intend to talk about English Domestic Season. I see no reason as to why there would be a red flag.

Aislabie

Ireland
With the new English T20 Premier League having been announced, I figured I might as well put together my dream squad for such a competition:

TOP-ORDER PLAYERS (three in the playing XI)

:saf: :bat: Cameron Delport :os: :tick: (1)
A savage opening batsman who might win the match just in the powerplay overs.

:eng: :bat: Michael Lumb :tick: (2)
A highly skilled and experienced opening batsman, the man with the potential to bat through and get a hundred.

:wi: :wkb: Nicholas Pooran :os: :tick: (3)
A competent wicket-keeper who could double as a game-changing batsman.

:ire: :bat: Paul Stirling
He's Irish and for that alone I would love him.

MIDDLE-ORDER PLAYERS
(three in the playing XI)

:eng: :wk: Ben Brown
Not someone with great T20 numbers, but someone with a track record of performing better with more responsibility.

:eng: :ar: Liam Livingstone :c: :tick: (4)
Probably the first name on my teamsheet, because he's such a destructive and intelligent player.

:eng: :ar: Delray Rawlins
He probably wouldn't play, but he'd learn a lot from the likes of van der Merwe and Livingstone.

:eng: :ar: Peter Trego
A very hard hitter of a cricket ball who could also probably function as a sixth bowler.

:eng: :bat: Ross Whiteley :tick: (6)
Very capable of coming in and clearing the ropes at the end of the innings. Hopefully comes in with five overs or so left.

SEAM BOWLERS

:eng: :ar: Jofra Archer :tick: (8)
Born and raised in Barbados, but definitely not an overseas player. Two new ball overs, two death overs.

:eng: :ar: Jordan Clark
An aggressive bowler as well as someone more than able to break into the top six of the batting order.

:eng: :ar: Benny Howell :tick: (7)
Someone who can act as a firefighter with the bat and a trickster with the ball.

:eng: :bwl: Chris Liddle :tick: (11)
One of England's best, and most-overlooked, death bowlers.

:aus: :bwl: Andrew Tye :os:
As one of the few death bowlers who is consistently effective, he's one of the first names in my squad.

SPIN BOWLERS
(two in the playing XI)

:eng: :bwl: Will Beer :tick: (9)
He's basically England's answer to Samuel Badree.

:ned: :ar: Roelef van der Merwe :tick: (5)
A very tidy spinner, also good enough to bat anywhere between one and nine if needed.

:eng: :bwl: Graeme White :tick: (10)
Arguably England's best white-ball spinner at the moment, who nobody notices because he plays for Northants rather than Notts.

:eng: :ar: Ashar Zaidi
Not really anyone's first-choice anything, but still a proven hitter of a cricket ball and taker of wickets.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
With the new English T20 Premier League having been announced, I figured I might as well put together my dream squad for such a competition:

TOP-ORDER PLAYERS (three in the playing XI)

:saf: :bat: Cameron Delport :os: :tick: (1)
A savage opening batsman who might win the match just in the powerplay overs.

:eng: :bat: Michael Lumb :tick: (2)
A highly skilled and experienced opening batsman, the man with the potential to bat through and get a hundred.

:wi: :wkb: Nicholas Pooran :os: :tick: (3)
A competent wicket-keeper who could double as a game-changing batsman.

:ire: :bat: Paul Stirling
He's Irish and for that alone I would love him.

MIDDLE-ORDER PLAYERS

:eng: :wk: Ben Brown
Not someone with great T20 numbers, but someone with a track record of performing better with more responsibility.

:eng: :ar: Liam Livingstone :c: :tick: (4)
Probably the first name on my teamsheet, because he's such a destructive and intelligent player.

:eng: :ar: Delray Rawlins
He probably wouldn't play, but he'd learn a lot from the likes of van der Merwe and Livingstone.

:eng: :ar: Peter Trego
A very hard hitter of a cricket ball who could also probably function as a sixth bowler.

:eng: :bat: Ross Whiteley :tick: (6)
Very capable of coming in and clearing the ropes at the end of the innings. Hopefully comes in with five overs or so left.

SEAM BOWLERS

:eng: :ar: Jofra Archer :tick: (8)
Born and raised in Barbados, but definitely not an overseas player. Two new ball overs, two death overs.

:eng: :ar: Jordan Clark
An aggressive bowler as well as someone more than able to break into the top six of the batting order.

:eng: :ar: Benny Howell :tick: (7)
Someone who can act as a firefighter with the bat and a trickster with the ball.

:eng: :bwl: Chris Liddle :tick: (11)
One of England's best, and most-overlooked, death bowlers.

:aus: :bwl: Andrew Tye :os:
As one of the few death bowlers who is consistently effective, he's one of the first names in my squad.

SPIN BOWLERS
(two in the playing XI)

:eng: :bwl: Will Beer :tick: (9)
He's basically England's answer to Samuel Badree.

:ned: :ar: Roelef van der Merwe :tick: (5)
A very tidy spinner, also good enough to bat anywhere between one and nine if needed.

:eng: :bwl: Graeme White :tick: (10)
Arguably England's best white-ball spinner at the moment, who nobody notices because he plays for Northants rather than Notts.

:eng: :ar: Ashar Zaidi
Not really anyone's first-choice anything, but still a proven hitter of a cricket ball and taker of wickets.
Chris Lynn instead of Delport

Users who are viewing this thread