English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters

Jenocide

Banned
Profile Flag
England
Wow this thread about English cricket is really buzzing Essex winning the Championship has kept many quiet... ?
Riveting but being on track If lancashire don't win then Eassex will be champions and your man is coming back today guess he will be very pleased have to admity they are a good side.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Riveting but being on track If lancashire don't win then Eassex will be champions and your man is coming back today guess he will be very pleased have to admity they are a good side.

Sky were showing the Essex v Warwickshire match on TV this week and working from home I saw a lot of it. Essex were dynamite and Warwickshire looked like a team accepting their fate - relegation
Chris Woakes in particular looked nothing like an England player. No surprise Chopra did well against his former team either

Edit - as I type Lancs have lost and Essex are champs, so congrats to them

Essexboy

Banned
Profile Flag
England
Very pleased and happy for a good team performance but can't say I engaged with the season much missed the summer evenings watching cricket.[DOUBLEPOST=1505579729][/DOUBLEPOST]
I wouldn't these guys only like talking to other guys? I hope I'm wrong.
A shame two lovely young ladies who want to talk cricket and the male population here not interested, a mad world if not a mad website?[DOUBLEPOST=1505579770][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nothing has moved here sonce the 25th and we're reaching the drama part od the season?

Okay we'll start ourselves, what's going on with Surrey?
Anyone care?

Essexboy

Banned
Profile Flag
England
If you quote me on here then you don't need to message me on slack... Drrrr.

Keep drawing games only won one all season but batting has been steady. gaz will be happy Essex are top and going great that'll be boasting material for weeks.

is that anyhtiung to do with the weather it has been off and on or arer Surrey just a bit boring to watch?
Can't believe you both messaged each other here when slack is quicker.

Jenocide

Banned
Profile Flag
England
A shame two lovely young ladies who want to talk cricket and the male population here not interested, a mad world if not a mad website?
They're scared of us or too into wrestling or each other we should statrt a thread, Kill the clique and let's talk cricket.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
There's always weird stuff happening at Derbyshire. Whether it's play being stopped because it was too sunny, or Tom Poynton missing the entire season because he crashed the chairman's sports car, or Shiv Thakor being convicted of exposing himself to strangers, or Peter Burgoyne leaving the county in undisclosed but allegedly similar circumstances, or... well I'll leave it there for now.

The key thing is, Derbyshire is being weird again. With barely a month until the pre-season starts, they currently have only eighteen players on their books, not all of whom are on full-time contracts:

Player| |Date of Birth| |FC apps|LA apps|T20 apps
:eng: :bat: :local: Callum Brodrick | |24 Jan 1998 (20)| |1|-|6
:eng: :bwl: :local: Will Davis | |06 Mar 1996 (21)| |12|1|-
:eng: :bwl: :local: Alfie Gleadall | |28 Mar 2000 (17) ||-|1|-
:eng: :bat: :local: Billy Godleman | |11 Feb 1989 (28)| |127|52|56
:eng: :wk: :local: Harvey Hosein | |12 Aug 1996 (21)| |23|4|5
:eng: :ar: :local: Alex Hughes | |29 Sep 1991 (26)| |44|48|54
:eng: :bat: :local: Charlie MacDonell | |23 Feb 1995 (22)| |6|2|-
:eng: :bat: :local: Wayne Madsen | |02 Jan 1984 (34)| |156|88|86
:eng: :bwl: :local: Antonio Palladino | |29 Jun 1983 (34)| |143|56|26
:eng: :bwl: :local: Hamidullah Qadri | |05 Dec 2000 (17)| |3|1|1
:wi: :bwl: :redo: Ravi Rampaul | |15 Oct 1984 (33)| |69|170|126
:eng: :ar: :local: Luis Reece | |04 Aug 1990 (27)| |41|27|26
:eng: :bat: :local: Ben Slater | |26 Aug 1991 (26)| |56|23|6
:saf: :arwk: :redo: Daryn Smit | |28 Jan 1984 (34)| |133|115|94
:eng: :bwl: :local: James Taylor | |19 Jan 2001 (17)| |1|-|-
:saf: :bwl: :redo: Gerhardus Viljoen | |06 Mar 1989 (28)| |101|85|75
:ire: :wkb: :local: Gary Wilson | |05 Feb 1986 (31)| |94|187|156

So, eighteen is already a small enough playing squad, but taking from that the three seventeen-year-olds (who surely cannot be expected to play regularly) and that leaves you with fifteen players, including three Kolpaks in addition to Wilson and Madsen. I honestly don't understand what they're trying to do here.

The first eleven doesn't look too bad, though there are a couple of places I'm scratching around for a player:
  1. :eng: :bat: Ben Slater
  2. :eng: :ar: Luis Reece
  3. :eng: :bat: Billy Godleman
  4. :eng: :bat: Wayne Madsen
  5. :saf: :arwk: Daryn Smit
  6. :ire: :wkb: Gary Wilson
  7. :eng: :ar: Alex Hughes
  8. :eng: :bwl: Tony Palladino
  9. :saf: :bwl: Hardus Viljoen
  10. :wi: :bwl: Ravi Rampaul
  11. :eng: :bwl: Will Davis
But if a couple of guys get injured they've got precisely no back-up. They also have no proper spinner, but that seems to be something most counties aren't bothering with nowadays

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
Another season beckons. Personally feel Essex are the overwhelming favourites this season although Yorkshire and Lancashire's batting should be really fun to watch too. Extremely disappointed with Somerset's business in the summer. It was clear that the squad needed massive upgrades yet we've bought only one high-class player in Renshaw (who replaced Bancroft). Could be a rather long season.

Jenocide

Banned
Profile Flag
England
Another season beckons. Personally feel Essex are the overwhelming favourites this season although Yorkshire and Lancashire's batting should be really fun to watch too. Extremely disappointed with Somerset's business in the summer. It was clear that the squad needed massive upgrades yet we've bought only one high-class player in Renshaw (who replaced Bancroft). Could be a rather long season.
Pains me to say Essex look good, Surrey should progress with Kohli and, Dean Elgar (sorry). Hope it's a good season.[DOUBLEPOST=1526022775][/DOUBLEPOST]
Totally unbelievable nothing wrong with the short form of the game.

stephencox32

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
As an aside to the modern day game, thumbing through Wisden from 1875 came across this gem of a bowling statistic from Alfred Shaw in MCC’s second innnings against Nottinghamshire. Some economy rate that!

Attachments

• E5403DAE-DFC9-496F-845C-048FF267BD3F.jpeg
    E5403DAE-DFC9-496F-845C-048FF267BD3F.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread